Unable to sleep after ear surgery

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi, do anyone have experience about unable to sleep or insomnia after CI surgery, CI removal surgery and other ear surgeries?

I can't sleep at all and the bandage is too tight and I had discomfort and nightmares. :(

Make sure your head is elevated for at least the first 2 weeks. I bought a bed wedge but multiple pillows can be used instead.
I took pain meds the first few days & nights. Of course that depends on your body's tolerance of meds.
It will get better, FoxRac. :hug:

If the bandages are too tight, maybe the Nurse or Doctor will loosen them somewhat...just ask. (they did mine after 1 surgery)...feel sure you're just "adjusting" and everything will be back to normal in a day or so.

Having any balance issues?....And after the last surgery on my left ear, the doctor placed the ear very close to my head...so both ears are off and not even...LOL...I did complain...but did not want to go in for another surgery to correct it...just wear my hair over the ears.

Some individuals have nightmares in response to certain medications or anesthesia medicines. Check with the hospital to get list of meds, if you are curious, then 'search' on the internet for side-effects. Or, just be confident it will get better.

Some individuals have nightmares in response to certain medications or anesthesia medicines. Check with the hospital to get list of meds, if you are curious, then 'search' on the internet for side-effects. Or, just be confident it will get better.
You had nightmares?
So did I, for a long time. Now I have no nightmares..
You have to beat the nightmares first.
Or I guess you gotta god-damn research it first.
I just hope he is doing better.

Last edited:
Make sure your head is elevated for at least the first 2 weeks. I bought a bed wedge but multiple pillows can be used instead.
I took pain meds the first few days & nights. Of course that depends on your body's tolerance of meds.
It will get better, FoxRac. :hug:

Sure, I have difficult time to breath while sleep after take oxycodone and I only take Advil as needed.

I hope the pain goes away soon. Can you take a sleeping aid?

I'm going to take Xanax after oxycodone wears off by 12 am.

It's only been about 1 day, right? It may take several days to get more comfortable. Try and rest even if you can't sleep.

Yes, that what I did right now and I finally slept for 1 hour, then wake up, repeat. I know that recovery after surgery always sucks. :(

If the bandages are too tight, maybe the Nurse or Doctor will loosen them somewhat...just ask. (they did mine after 1 surgery)...feel sure you're just "adjusting" and everything will be back to normal in a day or so.

Yes, I just loosen it a bit and feel slightly better. I'm dreaming about recovery and heal up.

Yes, that what I noticed that, I can't sleep well after many surgeries and I think it was general anesthesia and I slept a lot until Versed worn off.

Thank to y'all for helping.

I was given med cocktails in ICU for 10 days, then proceeded to hallucinate for at least a month. Not fun.

@LoveBlue Today, I finally took the bandage off and feel much better, but I noticed that is sticky white pad on my behind the ear - it make harder for my head to move freely. It did feel itchy and dry on white pad. The instruction paper didn't explain clearly about how to deal with white pad so I have to wait until Tuesday to call them.

I'm wonder about how long the pain will be gone?

@LoveBlue Today, I finally took the bandage off and feel much better, but I noticed that is sticky white pad on my behind the ear - it make harder for my head to move freely. It did feel itchy and dry on white pad. The instruction paper didn't explain clearly about how to deal with white pad so I have to wait until Tuesday to call them.

I'm wonder about how long the pain will be gone?
Since every surgery and every surgeon is different, I can't advise on the white pad. When my daughter, who's a first year nurse, took my bandage/cup off, she took everything off. I don't know if there was a sticky white pad.

You could try calling. They should have an answering service. Hmm, do answering services accept whatever type of service you use for calls??

Maybe it will come loose or fall off by Tuesday. ;)

Since every surgery and every surgeon is different, I can't advise on the white pad. When my daughter, who's a first year nurse, took my bandage/cup off, she took everything off. I don't know if there was a sticky white pad.

You could try calling. They should have an answering service. Hmm, do answering services accept whatever type of service you use for calls??

Maybe it will come loose or fall off by Tuesday. ;)

I think that they have number for residency and I will check it out. I hope so about loose or fall by Tuesday.

I read about people experienced the pain after CI surgery on AD forum, even can't blow the nose nor burping that cause ear to popping - very painful. I'm not alone to experience like that. I'm enough with painful ear surgery.

The doctors let patients who are allergic or bad reaction to Tylenol to take Advil, but I keep at minimum due to bleeding risk. It is no fun to have bad reaction to Tylenol. :(

I use ibuprofen (Advil) instead of Tylenol. Yep, no blowing the nose for several weeks. Also, sneeze with your mouth open.

I use ibuprofen (Advil) instead of Tylenol. Yep, no blowing the nose for several weeks. Also, sneeze with your mouth open.

Ok, I got it. Thank you to all for support and I feel better after talked to CI users who experienced the surgery.

I noticed that my anxiety worsen after surgery due to stress and I think about want go back to see a therapist.

@LoveBlue My family took sticky white pad off and noticed that I have 2 inches incision in behind the ear, so I feel much better after took all of bandage and white pad out, so I applied ointment on my incision and forward to be heal quickly.

It is little swelling. It is hurt to chew the food so I have to chew so slowly.

I'm ready to have a good sleep tonight on left ear or back, so hope so.

Sounds good. Yeah, you'll have some swelling for a while. It does get better. I think it took me about 4 weeks before I could lay on my implanted side. I slowly worked my way to that side. I used a small pillow to rest my cheek against while not having ear touch it.

After 3 days of hell, finally, I slept completely for 7 hours last night after took Xanax and Melatonin.

I enjoyed to watch 4 different movies on Cinemax and my ear is quietly hurt.

That's no fun to feel the pain - if Advil doesn't response so next is oxycodone, so I keep oxycodone at bay due to constipation.

Back