ummm, new experience

sculleywr

Reaction score
Well, I finally got myself into an interesting position. I was at Harvest Baptist Church for the Deaf a few months ago when I met a girl named Erica. The first time we met, I remember, was during the graduation party of last year, and it was only in passing. I didn't see her at all until the next school year during a visitation our church was having. While she was just the odd one out, I wasn't knowledgeable enough of the church's specific doctrines to go on the visitation with the rest of them. Well, I got to chatting (me and my still choppy receptive skills made that interesting) and before we knew it, it was 8 pm (the visitation started at 5:30, with everyone gone by 6. Yes, we chatted for 2 hours straight. Well, things have progressed and I finally asked her out to the valentine's banquet on the 13th of February this year. We have had many "mini-dates", but this is the first big one, and I was wondering, as she is HOH and I am hearing, is there any difference in etiquette during a date between the Deaf and hearing worlds?

Any other advice would be helpful. I am on a low budget (I will only have 40 dollars in hand tomorrow, and 20 is for phone) and just want to make sure she has the best day she has ever had. Remember, this is a church event, so no post-date romantic advice, I am waiting.

Arigato gozaimasu,
Billy

:wave: :wave: Billy, can you be a friend? Be respectful and listen to her. Do not interrupt her.

Have fun youse guys!

Mainly be close to her while you're talking, don't motormouth, look at her, keep your hands out of your mouth/no talking with food in your mouth, and you'll be fine. If I've forgotten anything she'll probably be used to telling people this.

Mainly be close to her while you're talking, don't motormouth, look at her, keep your hands out of your mouth/no talking with food in your mouth, and you'll be fine. If I've forgotten anything she'll probably be used to telling people this.

Thanks to the both of you for the comments. still looking for more for the rest of ye people. :)

I'm sure you will do everything to make her happy and to make her enjoy the night so the only thing you need to worry about is - communication.

1. see above
2. simply make sure she understands everything you say (talk in FRONT of her, not behind her or at her side. she has to LOOK at your face to lip-read you)
3. don't speak too loud. speaking louder won't make her hear you any better LOL!
4. enunciate your pronunciation clearly (do not mumble or speak too fast or speak too softly or cover your mouth or talk with your mouth full & wipe your mouth after eating)
5. Help her be aware of everything that's going on at church event. For example, speaker will talk on microphone and she's not going to know what he/she just said so be a gentleman and repeat that message to her
6. and lastly.... wait a min - no post-date romantic thing?? you homo! :mad2: j/k j/k have a good time. treat her like a normal person and treat her NICE. :cool2:

I'm sure you will do everything to make her happy and to make her enjoy the night so the only thing you need to worry about is - communication.

1. see above
2. simply make sure she understands everything you say (talk in FRONT of her, not behind her or at her side. she has to LOOK at your face to lip-read you)
3. don't speak too loud. speaking louder won't make her hear you any better LOL!
4. enunciate your pronunciation clearly (do not mumble or speak too fast or speak too softly or cover your mouth or talk with your mouth full & wipe your mouth after eating)
5. Help her be aware of everything that's going on at church event. For example, speaker will talk on microphone and she's not going to know what he/she just said so be a gentleman and repeat that message to her
6. and lastly.... wait a min - no post-date romantic thing?? you homo! :mad2: j/k j/k have a good time. treat her like a normal person and treat her NICE. :cool2:

Church is Harvest Baptist Church for the Deaf, so there will be interpreters for us both (I sometimes need a voicer if I am tired). I am at a conversational level in ASL (not fluent, but still good enough to keep on a conversation, until they start speaking about technical things). BUt good advice nonetheless.

Back