UK readers | sign this e-petition for families to get BSL classes

AJWSmith

Reaction score
As a UK citizen struggling to find a BSL class suitable for my family to learn BSL together, I totally agree with this petition and would encourage all UK users of AllDeaf to sign this petition as well and to spread the word.

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/7763

Fair Access to Family Sign Language Classes

Responsible department: Department for Education

Nine out of ten deaf children are born to hearing families who have little to no experience of deafness. Communicating with your child is a basic right, but many families are not getting the support they need to learn British Sign Language. Sign language courses vary throughout the UK in regards to availability and price. It is unacceptable that parents of deaf children who wish to learn sign language are not getting the help they need to communicate with their child. We, the undersigned, are calling on the Department for Education to roll out family sign language classes for families of deaf children, and to incorporate national standards on sign language support in family services, early years settings, schools and further and higher education in any forthcoming special education needs legislation.

Can't sign, but did want to say, "Way to go, AJW!" Love that social conscious!

I know BSL classes here are very limited and certainly aren't cheap which is a real shame, since there's many deaf, hearing, and families with deaf children who desparately need to learn BSL.

I know BSL classes here are very limited and certainly aren't cheap which is a real shame, since there's many deaf, hearing, and families with deaf children who desparately need to learn BSL.

I am surprised!:shock:

That's my experience too. I want to learn BSL and I'd like my whole family to learn with me to avoid feeling isolated at home. I'm currently looking for someone willing to come to our home as a tutor as I think it will work out cheaper than paying for all of us to attend BSL classes at a local college. Also my children have health issues and cannot always leave the house due to infection risks.

Back