Uhmmm...Help?

Dodge Trucker

Reaction score
This may sound STUPID and so darn simple easy to answer but I guess I am not LOOKING in the right places. I feel like "DUH" right now..lol

Uhmm Can you or some body tell me how I can set up my 8330 BB and or my Laptop to set up for PAM? I will be going to out in the country (rural areas) to visit my in-laws (hearing) and probably will be "left out" as the wife will feel the same way too. We'd like to figure out how to do PAM with our phone/laptop. Could some body explain what we need to do? I know it probably is so simple...but like I said..I am probably not looking in the right places for it.

Thanks!

This may sound STUPID and so darn simple easy to answer but I guess I am not LOOKING in the right places. I feel like "DUH" right now..lol

Uhmm Can you or some body tell me how I can set up my 8330 BB and or my Laptop to set up for PAM? I will be going to out in the country (rural areas) to visit my in-laws (hearing) and probably will be "left out" as the wife will feel the same way too. We'd like to figure out how to do PAM with our phone/laptop. Could some body explain what we need to do? I know it probably is so simple...but like I said..I am probably not looking in the right places for it.

Thanks!

What network carrier your BB use?
What OS your laptop your use?

highlander makes a good point - need more info.

on a side note, with mine i have sprint and both the PAM software is on the downloads sprint page. you just log in online with pc to your carrier provider with your pager info and then go to downloads. find the phone modem software and download/install. I am assuming you know how to hook up the usb cable to your pc to pager and then run the modem software. it's pretty much straight forward here.

My BB is 8330 by Sprint. My OS on my laptop is Vista. Thanks again for any help! :)

Here the Sprint download for 8330

Sprint Software Downloads - Smartphones - BlackBerry Curve 8330

Sprint SmartView for Windows seem to be the PAM modem and what you need but I do not know if they will charge you extra or what the cap limit is on using this PAM software so you might want to check to make sure your plan cover PAM usage first before using it or tethering to your laptop

Yay!! I did it!! Right now I am running on PAM!! tested the speed with its own speed test connection...averaged 1.2mb download...watched a video on youtube...pretty darn smooth...just LIKE being on wifi....yay!!! Thanks for your help!!

Ok...back to wifi now in a min :)

forgive me, I'm a Blackberry User and I want to know what's PAM is?

Pam is: Phone As Modem

If you have BB through the sprintrelay plan..you get free pam. Put it this way...whereever you go..you will ALWAYS have internet as long as you have cell phone coverage. If you're riding along while some one else is driving and you wanna surf the internet or whatever..simply hook up your BB to laptop and connect...then surf away!!

This is GREAT for me cuz some times I'm out in the very RURAL areas but have great cell phone coverage...and some times family gatherings get boring so all I hafta do is set up my PAM and away I go. Note: if you do not have the sprintrelay plan...you will probably be charged for using PAM because PAM is usually an add-on (correct me if Im wrong AD'ers) and you have to make sure your phone supports PAM

Ohh cool, I have AT&T unlimited data plan. Do you think I can get PAM for it?

Ohh cool, I have AT&T unlimited data plan. Do you think I can get PAM for it?

Well first off...do you have laptop? 2ndly..you would need to call AT&T and ask if PAM is included in your data plan and if your phone is PAM capable. If so..ask where you can download the PAM software...once you download it onto your laptop...its very simple...you simply turn on the PAM software..and connect your phone by usb...in a minute or two..you get connected and surf away.

Just because you have unlimited data plan doesn't mean you have PAM capabilities. Ask ATT and get it in black and white that it is included. If it is not..ask how much it is for the add-on and you justify your cost if it is reasonable or not. Hope everything works out for ya!

Dodge Trucker is correct that you need to check to see if you have plan allow you to tether to laptop or you might be charged extra even if you have unlimited data ....

Anyway you would need to install Blackberry Desktop Software first - BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software - BlackBerry Software at BlackBerry.com

Then you have to set up modem setting on your Blackberry for AT&T Here 2 different guides for setting up modem.

http://3083183250394357879-a-180274...zq7Iy0m-95jO2EhnYxfPzZODOTknOdoiqOynBgDMApBRk - Page 59

or

The idiot’s guide to using your BlackBerry as a modem | BB Geeks

Do it on your own risk of being charge extra or not ...

Back