UbiDuo

Phillips

Lets ride horses!
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got e.mail from my friend.. Interesting but not know if its repost?

Here... check out

cost 2000.00 ???

ubiLeftImg1.gif

sComm | About UbiDuo - UbiDuo Features

That's actually very neat .

Contains 1.22 MB of storage space which can hold up to 61 log files containing 20 KB each. For reference, a single 20 KB log file has approximately 350 lines in it

That seems like small memory though.:hmm:

Seen this before. I have friend who is actually an owner of Ubi company here in KC MO. Seen Demo and first version Ubi. He designs and develop them and other friend a Linux programmer, programs Ubi. I met him several times. He tried to get me to advertise Ubi at my work. I know my work won't buy it tho due to their budget. It is great for some jobs that require one and one communication or Customer service. Perhap Fast food restaruant if they have many visiting deaf customers. Cost is pretty high because it's just his start up business and trying to spread out then it'll be cheaper by then.

Catty

I'm sorry but I think the price is a ridiculous. $2000? I can buy 2 eeePC 1000H from best buy for less than $800 with soo much more power and only have to spend like $100 to get a strong case for the eeePC. all we really need is a program to connect 2 laptop/netbook together and talk to each other. In fact, many businesses and CO already have computers and possibly even old laptop. So the program that make it easy for PC to talk to each othr is the ONLY thing we need.

I do like the idea of the Ubiduo but even with the industrial strength durability, the price is still too much. I saw these Ubiduo in person before and talked with the owner of the CO. I didn't want to get into an argument about the price because all he was talking about was that it was only expensive cause of how hard it is to break it. But at the same time I was talking to him, a few of the keys on the Ubiduo was broken and you can see some bad marks on the casing.

Again, I don't mean to sound aggressive but I just don't see ANY reason why the Ubiduo is soo expensive even though Ubiduo is still in the start-up phase. what they could do to save a lot of money is to make the program like I explained and sell them to businesses that have laptops already. it is pretty cheap to make CD and sell them. all they have to do is to license and copyright the program. then when they have money, they can make Ubiduo cheap for places with limited finances or high wear environment like construction or factory. That is just my opinion.

I hope that Ubiduo can work on this and improve this area of technology cause it can really help many deaf ppl if jobs can afford the Ubi-Duo.

PCDeaf,

That's very interesting! I couldn't agree u more :lol:

Yes, there are ways to get two pc to 'talk' each other by Telenet or VNC something like that. Or a intranet (not Internet) communication which already have software out there. I haven't googled it.

Catty

If it's $250 for 2 of them, I'll consider worth the money. $2,000 isn't worth the money to me for a simple device.

Oh NO...not again. UBIDuo sucks. It takes away the role of interpreter jobs and also takes away EVERY deaf peoples language grammar skills.

Example: If a deaf person is STRONGLY ASL, talks, types and signs ASL...this deaf person would use UBIDUO and type ASL. The other person (hearing) who is reading or recieving the deaf person's typing comments (doctor..dentist..business employer/employee..etc etc etc) would not understand ASL because the deaf person is typing ASL. It does not have the capability to convert or "correct" the deaf person's ASL typing into proper English. This then makes the other person think that the deaf person is not "smart" or look down at deaf person for not typing proper English.
Here is a "perfect" example that an ACTUAL deaf man wrote to his employer and got mad and quit. He went to his employer and wrote "me cold have. home need go now." What is HIS version? His version was that he was having colds and running nose and wanted to go home. His employer understood it that he was just cold, but he was working in a humid area so his employer told him no, he couldn't go home. The deaf man got mad and quit (he quits pretty often tho). Employer didn't understand why. I know about this because we BOTH worked at the same job, same line and he told me what happened before he walked out. If he had an interpreter, the interpreter has the capability of converting HIS version into proper English, but I am not saying ALL deaf/hoh people sign/talk/write ASL like this. This was just an isolated example.

I draw the line at UBIDUO. I used to have a ex-friend who formerly worked for Scomm and they quit because of no money/commission. Anyways...I draw the line in the sand here. We had HEATED debates quite some time ago over the role of UBIDUO, the lifestyle of deaf people's choice of communication and not be degraded.

I draw the Line in the sand here ----> ____________________

I can understand why Ubiduo can be a fantastic idea for communication, but I can also see why this doesn't benefit deaf individuals who don't have good English grammar because they use ASL.

I wouldn't rule this device as a good idea for those that can use it and benefit from it. After all, not every deaf person is alike or have to be the same and use interpreters like some deaf people worry about it taking away interpreter roles.

Interpreters are great, but at the same time, I have found that having a terp can sometimes interfere in closer contact with people. An Ubiduo can provide a more personal contact because it's coming directly from the person through typing instead of hearing the terp's voicing your words.

Yes, the device is expensive, and it probably is because the company is probably a small one that probably doesn't sell so many of them.

DodgeTrucker, I understand your point with the problem this caused the deaf man you worked with, but I don't know why an employer would hire a terp for one sentence interpretation.

I hope that Ubiduo can work on this and improve this area of technology cause it can really help many deaf ppl if jobs can afford the Ubi-Duo.

Vocational Rehabilitation or Deaf Centers could purchase them for deaf people to loan for jobs.

I was considering to buy UbiDuo when they first came out. But after several attempts to talk to Mr. Curry, face-to-face, I had decided it wasn't worth the hassle to try speaking to him.

I have seen the UbiDuo on the internet last year. I think that it is a cool, but too pricey. You made a good point that it might be broken in one day.

Probably, this UbiDuo product is made in China. It makes me sick that he sells them so expensive that seems insult all of us.

An interpreter is alternative which is a good idea to open and make you feel alive person.

Unfortunately, I heard a gossip that a few certificated interpreters have a trouble interpretation that lead a little misunderstood the conception. Even, the interpreters don't understand themselves because they just do their best to follow what a speaker talks about. It is really awkward for them.

The best common sense is for you if you are not sure to understand your interpreter, just ask her/him to rephrase it clearly. I am sure that the speaker will explain another way so that it makes the interpreter feels feel better that way. In fact, some hearing people sometimes don't understand what the speaker is talking about. It backup for the speaker to rephrase it for all of us.

UbiDuo is a great product. But, come on, the president of the UbiDuo should not be too greedy for money.

I do not think that it would hurt the interpreters because this product is not everything what deaf employees' needs for example we still need the alive interpreters for meetings and lectures at work and outside work. We all hate the lectures at work especially a half day. ...

Oh NO...not again. UBIDuo sucks. It takes away the role of interpreter jobs and also takes away EVERY deaf peoples language grammar skills.

Example: If a deaf person is STRONGLY ASL, talks, types and signs ASL...this deaf person would use UBIDUO and type ASL. The other person (hearing) who is reading or recieving the deaf person's typing comments (doctor..dentist..business employer/employee..etc etc etc) would not understand ASL because the deaf person is typing ASL. It does not have the capability to convert or "correct" the deaf person's ASL typing into proper English. This then makes the other person think that the deaf person is not "smart" or look down at deaf person for not typing proper English.
Here is a "perfect" example that an ACTUAL deaf man wrote to his employer and got mad and quit. He went to his employer and wrote "me cold have. home need go now." What is HIS version? His version was that he was having colds and running nose and wanted to go home. His employer understood it that he was just cold, but he was working in a humid area so his employer told him no, he couldn't go home. The deaf man got mad and quit (he quits pretty often tho). Employer didn't understand why. I know about this because we BOTH worked at the same job, same line and he told me what happened before he walked out. If he had an interpreter, the interpreter has the capability of converting HIS version into proper English, but I am not saying ALL deaf/hoh people sign/talk/write ASL like this. This was just an isolated example.

I draw the line at UBIDUO. I used to have a ex-friend who formerly worked for Scomm and they quit because of no money/commission. Anyways...I draw the line in the sand here. We had HEATED debates quite some time ago over the role of UBIDUO, the lifestyle of deaf people's choice of communication and not be degraded.

I draw the Line in the sand here ----> ____________________

Yup, I have agree with you, I never liked any communication devices when use at important places, I prefer interpreter for all way.

For normal communication, what's wrong with paper and pen, communicate via AIM or use note to share the mobile device or something.

worked well for me at Social Security Adm. Most receiving from a deaf person are reluctant to write conversation and it is a real heartache for the deaf person. it is &&&& and responses are out dated

sComm now have newer UbiDuo 3 and it's so much better. I used to work at sComm for nearly 2 years as IT Helpdesk (repair, setup, update any computers at sComm) and I was just the IT Contractor for sComm. I never did apply for this job, CEO and CIO texted me and begged me to join cuz of my skills..:bowdown::bowdown::cool2:...(Not my first time company begged me to join, ZVRS was the first company that VP Installer boss begged me to join to become Part time VP installer :bowdown::rolleyes:<--ok I'll join. ).

Right now they have medicare to cover it. IF any of you have medicare, apply for Ubi Duo and medicare covers 100% (there may be no evaluation needed). If you have Health insurance, they will check to see if it will covers (evaluation required). If it covers then you just simply pay co-pay (small copay). And Yes, Ubi Duo cost between $5k to $7k. ($7k have voice to text or text to voice) without Medicare or Insurance coverage.... . I've use Ubi Duo 3 loaner while I was working. I took it to my Financial Advisor and he love it lot and helps me understand about my investment. Conversation last 15 min that's all and don't need ASL interpreter but It will NOT replace interpreters. CEO of sComm state that he don't believe Ubi Duo will replace interpreter. He hires ASL Interpreter for his important sComm meeting. He have Ubi Duo on his desk when hearing employees need to talk to him anything concern or quick important matters that need to know now.. . It's for temporary communication, emergency or conversation with family or friends. ASL Interpreters are very vital for our need if they are available on appointments like at your work, hospital, school or meeting. So basically, don't assume that Ubi Duo replace interpreter.

Best to get one yourself and you be the boss to decide whether you use it or expect them to hire ASL interpreter. (It's like TV commercial that fisherman yank fishing pole with $1 on hook while customers tried to grab it. You controls it and company can't (Boss would go horny over it but you say No!) :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Since I'm no longer working for sComm. If I switch health insurance or switch to Medicare, then I would apply for Ubi Duo. small to pay on co-pay or free thru Medicare. I would use it for conversation with my mom, financial advisor, or to order important parts ect.. Why not use it when need on the spot.. Even go to vacation and need to talk with Host ect then that'll help..

But Dr. Appointment, I must have ASL interpreter period! Even if I work part time job at one company, I would rather ASL terp.

Catty

Last edited:
Back