U.S. troops killed and wounded amid Afghan protests over Koran burning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anti-Muslim sentiments are being fanned here. Not very Christian.

This post is offensive because there is plenty of anti-Christian sentiments on AD.

Second Afghan Convert Faces Death Penalty under Apostasy Law
Tue, Mar. 29, 2011 Posted: 08:21 PM EDT

An Afghan Christian convert remains in jail awaiting the death sentence that an apostate is likely to receive under Afghanistan’s apostasy law. Just a month prior, fellow Christian believer Said Musa was granted religious asylum in Europe.

Shoaib Assadullah, 23, was arrested on Oct. 21 last year in the Afghan city of Mazar-e-Sharif, the fourth largest city in Afghanistan. He had given a Bible to a friend, who later reported him to authorities. Assadullah was locked up in the city’s jail roughly the same time the international community rallied behind Said Musa.

“Diplomatic attention has now shifted on Shoaib Assadullah’s freedom, yet five months have passed and little progress has been made,” said Aidan Clay, International Christian Concern (ICC) regional manager for the Middle East. “The international Christian community must stand together and be a voice for Assadullah in the same way that it was a voice for Musa.”

Since Musa’s release in late February, watchdogs monitoring Christian persecution expressed dismay toward the Afghan government for its complacency in protecting Christian converts.

“While the Afghan government relented by releasing Said …Afghanistan continues its anti-Christian crackdown and is far from altering any policies to protect apostates,” Clay explained. “Diplomatic attention has now shifted on Shoaib Assadullah’s freedom, yet five months have passed and little progress has been made.”

In prison, Assadullah reportedly endured physical abuse and death threats from fellow prisoners and guards. Although Assadullah has not been tried, he expects to receive the death penalty for his conversion from Islam.

On March 11, Assadullah wrote in a letter smuggled out of Qasre Shahi prison in Mazar-e-Sharif”

“I am under emotional pressure from being in prison. Add to that the threat of being executed, constant insults and accusations, threats, cursing and being forced by other prisoners and by prison guards to do work for them… all because of prejudice against my different beliefs and my different ethnicity.”

Afterward on March 24, Assadullah told a friend over the telephone that he would rather die for his Christian faith than to return to Islam in exchange for his freedom, according to an ICC source.

In Afghanistan, apostasy continues to be a crime punishable by death under Islamic law, even though the nation’s constitution allows religious freedom.

Although Afghanistan remains a key U.S. ally in the region, the country has poor respect for religious minority rights.

“The fight for religious freedom in Afghanistan is far from over,” said Clay. “The release of Musa was a great victory, but the battle carries on.”
Second Afghan Convert Faces Death Penalty under Apostasy Law, Christian News

But mostly by Christians. That's a fact.

That's not what I see. I see people with one foot in the other clubhouse trying to get one last kick in.

Most of us (on my side) have been pretty clear we support the right of others to their beliefs. I even said so to the member you mentioned.

What's your motivation for posting about apostasy?

I personally feel that any individual has an inherent right to practice their religious beliefs/or lack of religious beliefs without interference from any government entity. I personally feel that is an inherent human right.

I also view this human right as non-existent in theocratic forms of government that force religious beliefs on its "subjects".

I personally feel that any individual has an inherent right to practice their religious beliefs/or lack of religious beliefs without interference from any government entity. I personally feel that is an inherent human right.

I also view this human right as non-existent in theocratic forms of government that force religious beliefs on its "subjects".

What about women's rights not to have their health interfered with by religious groups attempting to dominate politics in your own country?

How do you feel about the fact there isn't a single woman on the birth control mandate panel that is directly addressing women and contraceptives?

You can be sure that in countries ruled by dictators, it's not just a domestic affair. Human rights violations are very high in such countries.

But like Beowulf said, if a first world country steps in to "help" - it's almost always to protect their corporate interests, not for genuine humanitarian reasons.

we have no business in funding such uprisal. every civilization has to go thru certain stage to betterment. it ain't pretty but it's how civilization gets better.

Prime Directive, ya know? :lol:

I'm curious. Is there a respectful way to burn/destroy a copy of the Quran?
The reason for my asking is there are certain ceremonies for burning the American flag, the Bible, Jewish holy books, etc. where the need to burn is ascertain.
Is it that anyone at all (Muslim or non-Muslim) who burns a copy committing a punishable act or there are certain situation where it is allowed?

we have no business in funding such uprisal. every civilization has to go thru certain stage to betterment. it ain't pretty but it's how civilization gets better.

1000% right-on!

I'm curious. Is there a respectful way to burn/destroy a copy of the Quran?
The reason for my asking is there are certain ceremonies for burning the American flag, the Bible, Jewish holy books, etc. where the need to burn is ascertain.
Is it that anyone at all (Muslim or non-Muslim) who burns a copy committing a punishable act or there are certain situation where it is allowed?

google it.

Quran burning: What is the respectful way to dispose of Islam's holy book? - CSMonitor.com

What about women's rights not to have their health interfered with by religious groups attempting to dominate politics in your own country?

Not sure why you have such trouble understanding this....the religious group is in no way trying to interfere with women's health.

How do you feel about the fact there isn't a single woman on the birth control mandate panel that is directly addressing women and contraceptives?

If that panel were determining a woman's right to USE bc I would be concerned. But they are not, so I don't see a problem.

Jiro - look at Somalia and Sudan. You really think their civilizations are getting better? Or even Syria? What about North Korea where the entire populace is forced into starvation by their leader?

If your own government was killing hundreds of thousands, if not millions, would you shrug and say "well, this is for our own good. I welcome this for it betters us as a civilization."

Using your logic, we never should have helped the Jews in WW2. It would have been for the betterment of their civilizations to be exterminated.

:roll:

no..... as Steinhauer stated - "it's punishable by death" as in it's enforced by government or similar in an official capacity.

"masked men" is... just a bunch of thugs.

Re: your statement in post #93; no mention of "official capacity."

Jiro - look at Somalia and Sudan. You really think their civilizations are getting better? Or even Syria? What about North Korea where the entire populace is forced into starvation by their leader?

If your own government was killing hundreds of thousands, if not millions, would you shrug and say "well, this is for our own good. I welcome this for it betters us as a civilization."

Using your logic, we never should have helped the Jews in WW2. It would have been for the betterment of their civilizations to be exterminated.

:roll:

this is not hard to understand.

1. we have no business in FUNDING an uprisal. how is it out problem?
2. we have no business in getting involved in any civil war. how is it our problem?
3. we should only intervene for humanitarian crisis. this is everybody's problem. that's why we have UN for that.

Well, I most certainly feel that fathers have a crucial role in children's lives, and a lot of fathers are not doing their jobs. However, there has been a paradigm shift over the past few years in regards to the number of single moms now being super-imposed by single dads. I do not know what has caused it .. but it is my personal opinion that a child needs both, mom and dad. I know I did (and my brother and sisters). I believe that may be the crux of the debate but the point is getting lost when one attacks the spiritual beliefs of the messengers instead of the message.

As for the Catholics refusing to accept the recent Obama regulation mandating that they provide contraceptives to their employees .... which I **think** you are talking about ... that is government interference in one's right to practice their religious beliefs without government interference. Obama realized he made a mistake and recanted that regulation. There also have been Supreme Court rulings which strictly prohibit what Obama attempted to do.

Nobody is being forced to be a Catholic. No one is being executed for refusing to convert to Catholicism. There are no government fines imposed for not being a Catholic. If one does not agree with the theology and doctrine of Catholicism, they do not have to work or be an employee of any Catholic organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back