U.S. troops killed and wounded amid Afghan protests over Koran burning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iran is condemned by most Muslim countries for its extreme fundamentalist government of which the Iranians did not vote into power. In no way does the Ayatollah represent the prevailing views of most Iranians.

Yup, I don't think it was existed prior to 1979 revolution when Iran was ruled by Shah.

Abdul Rahman, 41, was born into a Muslim family in Afghanistan, and raised in that faith. While working for an Christian aid group in Peshawar some 16 years ago, he converted to Christianity. He left the country and worked in Germany for nine years. He recently returned to Afghanistan in 2002 where he attempted to gain custody of his daughters who had been living with their grandparents. His parents reported his religious conversion to the authorities. He was arrested during 2006-FEB. Rahman was found to be carrying a Bible when he was taken into custody.

He was placed on trial for an "attack on Islam" by his action of leaving Islam for another religion. Under the draft constitution of the country, the punishment is death by hanging.

Judge Alhaj Ansarullah Mawlawy Zada will be trying his case. He said:

"The Attorney General is emphasizing he should be hung. It is a crime to convert to Christianity from Islam. He is teasing and insulting his family by converting,....We are not against any particular religion in the world. But in Afghanistan, this sort of thing is against the law. It is an attack on Islam."

On another occasion, he told The Times that Rahman:

"...was a Muslim for 25 years more than he has been a Christian. We will request him to become a Muslim again. In your country two women can marry I think that is very strange. In this country we have the perfect constitution, it is Islamic law and it is illegal to be a Christian and it should be punished."

The Associated Press quoted Zada on 2006-MAR-23 as saying:

"There is no direct pressure on our court so far, but if it happens we will consider it as an interference." He added that he expects to rule on the case in the next few days. 8

Prosecutor, Abdul Wasi, offered Rahman his freedom if he would only renounce Christianity and return to Islam, but he has refused. Wasi said:

"He would have been forgiven if he changed back. But he said he was a Christian and would always remain one. We are Muslims and becoming a Christian is against our laws. He must get the death penalty."

The media has not been able to talk to Rahman. Prison officials said that they had been threatened with dismissal if they allowed an interview. However, Sayad Miakhel, 30, a cell mate of Rahman said:

"He is standing by his words he will not become a Muslim again, he has been a Christian for over 14 years. It is what he believes in. His father complained to authorities after he said he wanted to take his daughters abroad. He is an intelligent man and his faith belongs to him."

A medical team is examining Rahman; they suspect that his rejection of Islam may be a sign of insanity. If found guilty, Rahman would have had the option of appealing his case to the Provincial Court, and finally to the Supreme Court. President Hamid Karzai would have had to ratify the execution before it is carried out. 3,4,5

Abdul Raoulf, who the Associated Press describes as a moderate Muslim cleric, said "Rejecting Islam is insulting God. We will not allow God to be humiliated. This man must die." 8
The case of Abdul Rahman, an Afghan Christian

Iran is pretty hardcore sharia law and it is not uncommon for converted from Islam to Christianity to face execution, also same goes with Saudi Arabia, North Sudan and Somalia.

Northern Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Somalia and Iran are all very suppressive states with dictatorial leaders. If indeed the populaces support such beliefs, those leaders would have been voted into power. But they were not. They took control by force.

If the people could get funding and backing to overthrow those governments, they would. Look at the rash of uprisings last spring aka "Arab Spring". Look at what's happening in Syria right now. The people have had enough and they would welcome financial backings from other countries to help them.

Anti-Muslim sentiments are being fanned here. Not very Christian.

Northern Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Somalia and Iran are all very suppressive states with dictatorial leaders. If indeed the populaces support such beliefs, those leaders would have been voted into power. But they were not. They took control by force.

If the people could get funding and backing to overthrow those governments, they would. Look at the rash of uprisings last spring aka "Arab Spring". Look at what's happening in Syria right now. The people have had enough and they would welcome financial backings from other countries to help them.

I'm strongly against countries funding such thing. It's an act of war. We only should intervene if people are being butchered but no one should ever get involved in domestic affair.

I'm strongly against countries funding such thing. It's an act of war. We only should intervene if people are being butchered but no one should ever get involved in domestic affair.

Especially if these events are being orchestrated by our CIA on behalf of the oil corporations. :cool2:

Isn't it ironic that in America, not a single woman exists on the birth control mandate panel and yet those same people who are anti-birth control mandate are being so supportive of women's rights in Islam countries. I mean, wha?

Especially if these events are being orchestrated by our CIA on behalf of the oil corporations. :cool2:

Bay of Pigs! oink oink oink!

but yea actually - since oil corporations are $$$$$$$, they can do it themselves with their own private army/CIA.

Isn't it ironic that in America, not a single woman exists on the birth control mandate panel and yet those same people who are anti-birth control mandate are being so supportive of women's rights in Islam countries. I mean, wha?

They better check the chemical contents of their reading material. :giggle:

Bay of Pigs! oink oink oink!

but yea actually - since oil corporations are $$$$$$$, they can do it themselves with their own private army/CIA.

They practically already do. Ever heard of DynoCorp?

Coming from a non-religious guy, I don't think they will care quite as much. Just a hunch.

Personally, I don't hold it against someone for their faith, or lack thereof.

You can be sure that in countries ruled by dictators, it's not just a domestic affair. Human rights violations are very high in such countries.

But like Beowulf said, if a first world country steps in to "help" - it's almost always to protect their corporate interests, not for genuine humanitarian reasons.

yes I'm aware of it, Steinhauer. As I said.... can you show me any news of "apostasy" enforced by government?

"masked men" in Sweden? :laugh2:

it's no different from Christian "masked men" bombing abortion clinics like Eric Rudolph

Reba gave you a fairly good example of Apostasy being enforced in Afghanistan in post #102

Coming from a non-religious guy, I don't think they will care quite as much. Just a hunch.

A Muslim member started a thread last night in which she expressed her misgivings about the sentiments. Her thread was pulled. So, a few people ARE offended.

Actually it makes perfect sense. The bc mandate is about violating the constitution. We totally support a woman's right to use bc. You are having trouble understanding the difference.

Reba gave you a fairly good example of Apostasy being enforced in Afghanistan in post #102

Taliban-ruled Afghanistan.

Who helped support the Talibans' war against the Soviets again? Why, I do declare that would be YOUR country.

So essentially, your tax dollars helped put the Talibans into power.

Me either.....It seems these "flames" are being fanned by others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back