U.S. report: 40 million can't afford health care

Most small buisnesses (those with fewer than 20 or 25 employees) are not required offer insurance plans, but now the State of Arkansas has made it a requirement that buisnesses with more than 5 employees must offer insurance to their employees. It is more expensive for small buisnesses in which the costs are eventually passed on to the customer.
That's why many small businesses stay small because they can't afford more employees on the books. They also change from hiring employees to hiring independent contractors and subcontractors to do their work. That way, the business isn't responsible for the insurance.

But I think it should be a REQUIREMENT that all buisnesses big or small should offer group insurance plans for their employees within 90 days of employment
How small? I know some business that have only one or two employees (usually a family member), and they can't afford health insurance. Hubby is a small business owner, and he can't afford to hire any employees because he can't afford health insurance for them or himself.

...And those not yet covered under company insurance, the gov't should pay a certain percentage of all medical costs such as 75/25.
Do you mean in addition to people who get Medicaid? Where would the government get the money to pay for that coverage?

There is some health insurance is affordable for individual to pay much as $60-100 month and get enough insurance to cover. Dunno what kind company it was.

I afraid if there is Health Care universal, there would be probably over 50 millions staff lose jobs!

I can't afford to pay whole in rest of medical bills. I am paying slow down because I don't have a job. I am on Medicare and under my husband's insurance. I will be my own small business in future. I don't have to worry about it. Because my husband have 2 insurances. :)

while 260 million people have health coverage. ta-da! Because they work and earn benefit!

What about the ones that work and can't afford insurance, or work for a company that doesn't provide health care benefits? The ones that don't work are insured through Medicare/Medicaid. Its the ones that are working that are suffering the most from lack of health care.

There is some health insurance is affordable for individual to pay much as $60-100 month and get enough insurance to cover. Dunno what kind company it was.

I afraid if there is Health Care universal, there would be probably over 50 millions staff lose jobs!

Unlikely.

Well I work 2 jobs and I don't even have any health insurance....it sucks being a middle class. I really need a dentist real bad. :( I am not sure if there is a program to help pay for that. I imagine the dentist bill would be real expensive.

Well I work 2 jobs and I don't even have any health insurance....it sucks being a middle class. I really need a dentist real bad. :( I am not sure if there is a program to help pay for that. I imagine the dentist bill would be real expensive.

Do you have medicare or medicaid? Just wonders.

Unlikely.

Fine... If it happen to have health care universal, then Govt is likely to pass additional more law or raise taxes on smoking, fast food, etc., leading to a further loss of personal freedoms

What about the ones that work and can't afford insurance, or work for a company that doesn't provide health care benefits? The ones that don't work are insured through Medicare/Medicaid. Its the ones that are working that are suffering the most from lack of health care.

Yup, that right, also don't forgot about children too, many children are uninsured but fortunately, they are covered by medicaid and SCHIP.

Fine... If it happen to have health care universal, then Govt is likely to pass additional more law or raise taxes on smoking, fast food, etc., leading to a further loss of personal freedoms

Doubtfully, universal health care means government control on medical care to keep price down, there's pros and cons.

Yup, that right, also don't forgot about children too, many children are uninsured but fortunately, they are covered by medicaid and SCHIP.

It could be individual who wish to not have health insurance. who know.

Doubtfully, universal health care means government control on medical care to keep price down, there's pros and cons.

I have know somewhere in Europe, they focus McDonald to change food as people said it's great. Until later, they visit here in US and here McDonald taste terrible to them.

No, I don't have that. I think I make too much to qualify for medicaid or medicare.

Ok, If I was you then I will try apply if I'm quality or not, just have chance to try it.

I'm sorry about your workplace don't offers health insurance, I thought it was supposed to be benefit when work after 6 month or depends on company's policy.

For me, I don't trust any cheap insurance from my work, such as $10 per 2 weeks because I know it would less coverage and more copay than real premium insurance that have more covers and cheap copay, around $40 per 2 weeks.

I have know somewhere in Europe, they focus McDonald to change food as people said it's great. Until later, they visit here in US and here McDonald taste terrible to them.

Yup, I had noticed that, usually from some of my families who visit UK.

Updated:

87 million in U.S. uninsured in past 2 years

Report: Lack of health care more widespread than government estimates

WASHINGTON - A third of Americans under age 65 — 86.7 million people — went without health insurance at some point during the past two years, according to a report released Wednesday.

The report from the advocacy group Families USA showed that the lack of access to health insurance in the United States is more widespread than government statistics suggest.

Reducing the number of uninsured is a key goal set by President Barack Obama and congressional leaders as they plan an ambitious overhaul of the U.S. healthcare system this year.

The report assessed how many people under age 65 went without either public or private health insurance for some or all of the two-year period covering 2007 and 2008. People 65 and older are covered by the government's Medicare program.

Of 262 million Americans under 65, 33 percent were uninsured at some point during those two years, according to the report. This included 60.1 million adults and 26.6 million children and teens up to age 18, according to the report.

Among those uninsured, 75 percent had no coverage for at least six months and 60 percent for at least nine months, according to the report based on survey data from the U.S. Census Bureau and Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.

About 52 percent of individuals and families with incomes between the official poverty line and twice the poverty line — $21,200 to $42,400 of annual income for a family of four — were uninsured at some point during 2007 and 2008.

The government's most recent official estimate, based on Census Bureau figures, put the number of uninsured at 45.7 million in 2007. But that figure included only those who had no coverage for the entire year.

"There are a number of facets that are essential to healthcare reform — bending the cost growth curve and improving quality, but expanding coverage has got to be among the top objectives of healthcare reform," Ron Pollack, executive director of Families USA, said in a telephone interview.

Most Americans get private health coverage through an employer, although some buy private insurance on their own and others are eligible for public programs.

But the cost of insurance prompts many to go without it, paying for medical care out of their own pockets or putting it off altogether.

The White House Thursday is set to host a healthcare summit with lawmakers, health insurers and groups ranging from the drug industry to employers.

87 million in U.S. uninsured in past 2 years - Health care- msnbc.com

Not every worker have health coverage. I worked for two and half year without it now I become permantely with my job and I finally got it. My son works 3 years now with no health coverage. So tell me it is successful for America to have health benefits for workers? not at all.

I want every American to have health insurance no matter who or what we do.

so move to Canada.

Back