U.S. border chief says terror threat greater from Canada than Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjo

Expelled
Premium Member
Reaction score
When it comes to the threat of terrorism, the Canadian border is a bigger problem than the Mexican one, a U.S. security official says.

Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Alan Bersin said he is concerned that potential terrorists are exploiting Canadian loopholes to gain entry to the United States.

“We have had more cases where people who are suspected of alliances with terrorist organizations, or have had a terrorist suspicion in their background – we see more people crossing over from Canada than we have from Mexico,” he said during in his testimony to the U.S. Senate this week.

The remarks will grate on Ottawa officials, who frequently try to persuade U.S. counterparts that the terrorist threat emanating from north of the border is not that bad.

Last year, U.S. agents are said to have arrested 450,000 migrants crossing from Mexico, where drug wars are resulting in mass murder. This compares to about 7,500 inadmissible people caught crossing the Canadian border.

Despite these overall numbers, Mr. Bersin said that it is “commonly accepted that the more significant threat” to the United States comes from the north.

Read more: U.S. border chief says terror threat greater from Canada than Mexico - The Globe and Mail

I think they are overreaching on this one. Just another case of fear mongering. Nothing else. I have crossed the border on many, many occasions and I can tell you that they definitely have tightened the security over the last few years. We are now required to have a passport with us. Believe it or not, just a few years ago, we were able to cross the border without even having to show a driver's license. They constantly have dogs walking around at the border, and they have customs officers randomly sweeping through the line-ups. Most of the times, the customs officials are friendly, but sometimes the tension can be felt.

Myself, I believe Mexico is much more of a threat than Canada. Just look at the amount of drug trafficking. Thousands and thousands of people have died due to the corruption and drug wars in Mexico and the USA. Not to mention how easy it is for the illegal immigrants to enter the USA and remain there for decades.

Plus you got seals that make them terrorists nervous.

I think the Canadian boarder is a greater threat. It is larger for one thing, more room to sneak in. Also it is where most people least expect terrorist to come from. Everyone is eyeing the "The ever so unsecured Mexican boarder" We are so focused on the Mexican boarder. I agree with this article. It is not fear mongering it is just a very good possibility that it can/does happen.

Read more: U.S. border chief says terror threat greater from Canada than Mexico - The Globe and Mail

I think they are overreaching on this one. Just another case of fear mongering. Nothing else. I have crossed the border on many, many occasions and I can tell you that they definitely have tightened the security over the last few years. We are now required to have a passport with us. Believe it or not, just a few years ago, we were able to cross the border without even having to show a driver's license. They constantly have dogs walking around at the border, and they have customs officers randomly sweeping through the line-ups. Most of the times, the customs officials are friendly, but sometimes the tension can be felt.

You guys gonna solicit online donations to build a fence to keep the terrorists out?:laugh2:

I think the Canadian boarder is a greater threat. It is larger for one thing, more room to sneak in. Also it is where most people least expect terrorist to come from. Everyone is eyeing the "The ever so unsecured Mexican boarder" We are so focused on the Mexican boarder. I agree with this article. It is not fear mongering it is just a very good possibility that it can/does happen.

Mexico has a population of at least 100 million, we only have a population of around 34 million. It's a huge difference, and not to mention how many countries in the South America are able to transport drugs through the Mexican borders. We don't have any countries surrounding us except for the USA.

How can we be a bigger threat if they are only arresting a few thousand people per year here compared to the 400,000+ arrests at the Mexican border?

Several terrorist activities have been put to a stop over the years here in Canada. We have stopped many people from plotting a terrorist attack. It is fear mongering, simply put.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back