Two Questions On Fingerspelling Difficulties

Firebrand

Reaction score
:hmm: I took the basic sign language class twice in my early 20's. The class was taught by an experienced interpreter. I had no trouble with reading the hand signs, but I had so much trouble with reading fingerspelling. When I see the fingerspelling, it's like I'm seeing a crazy blur of finger movements. Since I had been suffering from severe depression, I was easily discouraged. Not being able to read fingerspelling has proved to be a huge block in learning sign language. It drove me crazy. I ended up with bad headache from concentrating so hard on reading the fingerspellings. Of course, that's been years ago and I'm rusty with sign language.

Another question I have is how do you loosen up your hand when they get stiff. My hands get stiff sometimes, which is a bit of a mystery, since I don't have any arthritis. Do you have any techniques in loosening up your hand besides applying heat and taking anti-inflammatories? My index finger and the middle finger will not do the "R" sign. What do you do when your hand won't cooperate for you to fingerspell?

I totally appreciate any advice or ideas you can think of. In advance, I thank you. :ty:

I know plenty of native/fluent signers that finger spell slowly. Doesn't stop them from using the rest of the language though. :) Don't let that stop you.

Funny you mention the hand issues as I have arthritis. I know you said you don't, but it's possible the tendons or muscles in your hands get stiff. I find running my hands under hot water, even just for 5 minutes, to be really helpful. I take anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxants for TMJ/arthritis, which help with my body in general, including my hands.

I can't form the R shape so my R's look like U's. Sometimes I bend my middle finger down instead of trying to cross it over the index finger.

I also have a hard time with 1 handshape so I sign closer to a D. And I can't fully sign a W either but I can get my pinkies and thumbs close enough so that it is W-ish enough to be read as a W. I can't bring up my finger for X on its own so I often sign the handshape you use for "writing" and "changing".

Lastly, with my wife, I use the modified BSL alphabet for the Deafblind because it requires less movement than the ASL modified alphabet.

Video of BSL alphabet for the Deafblind:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLi0K64P4wg&feature=related]BSL alphabet for the Deafblind[/ame]

Description of DB-modified BSL alphabet

ASLPro.com Home Use this site for constant fingerspelling reading practice.

And my doctor put me on high dose of Ibuprofen.

Here's my tip on "how to read fingerspelling". Simply nod your head yes and let the other person continue. If the other person begins to become aggitated, just go "oops. I mean no". And if the other person acts complete perplexed, just say, "again?" and then pay attention to the fingerspelling. :giggle: :lol:

But on a serious note. Don't worry too much about not being able to read the fingerspelling. It does take time to develop the ability and it will start to become easier.

I will be the first to admit that I really do hate reading fingerspelling.

:laugh2::laugh2:

:ty: Thank you so much for that advice, Daft. I'm a pickler about picking up things like names and words that can't be "signed," like the technical words in the English language. Let's say, for example "plasmapheresis," and there is no sign for that word. What if it's a word that I needed to know or have a need to know? The reason I said "have a need to know" is because I have a crazy sense of curiosity. :lol:

:ty: Thank you so much for that advice, Daft. I'm a pickler about picking up things like names and words that can't be "signed," like the technical words in the English language. Let's say, for example "plasmapheresis," and there is no sign for that word. What if it's a word that I needed to know or have a need to know? The reason I said "have a need to know" is because I have a crazy sense of curiosity. :lol:

Truth the matter is English speakers have a mania for making up needless words. One of the best lessons my mother taught me is that "The word 'technique' is the word 'trick' with delusions of grandeur, which is just a fancy way of saying 'He thinks he's better than he is'."

Unless you are in class using the word a lot there is hardly a need for specific sign for things like that. Maybe not even then. You will have a hard time convincing me we need the English word when the definition is so simple and easier to use.

The best way to handle jargon like plasmapheresis is to know the actual meaning of the word, then sign the meaning. I would do it thus....

"Blood yellow remove," the first time and after that just "yellow remove".

Blood is composed of several things including (but not limited to) red cells, white cells, lymph, etc. And when you look the word plasmapheresis up all it really means is a process of removing the yellowish fluid in blood.

Unless you are going to study the subject in depth dialysis simply means to clean the blood. Just say what you mean and sign what you mean: "Blood clean".

BTW here is another great fingerspelling site.

:hmm: I took the basic sign language class twice in my early 20's. The class was taught by an experienced interpreter. I had no trouble with reading the hand signs, but I had so much trouble with reading fingerspelling. When I see the fingerspelling, it's like I'm seeing a crazy blur of finger movements. Since I had been suffering from severe depression, I was easily discouraged. Not being able to read fingerspelling has proved to be a huge block in learning sign language. It drove me crazy. I ended up with bad headache from concentrating so hard on reading the fingerspellings. Of course, that's been years ago and I'm rusty with sign language.

Another question I have is how do you loosen up your hand when they get stiff. My hands get stiff sometimes, which is a bit of a mystery, since I don't have any arthritis. Do you have any techniques in loosening up your hand besides applying heat and taking anti-inflammatories? My index finger and the middle finger will not do the "R" sign. What do you do when your hand won't cooperate for you to fingerspell?

I totally appreciate any advice or ideas you can think of. In advance, I thank you. :ty:

Depends on what you want to do with sign language. I'm left handed but my left arm was injured and my little finger often does its own thing now regardless of the needs of ASL. However people quickly get used to it.

If you are conversing with your friends they will soon get used to your quirks.

The thing I've noticed about most interpreters is they tend to teach interpreting. Something most of us aren't really into. Conversing with your friends just doesn't require the same formality or perfection.

Also reading fingerspelling is something that requires constant practice. I've been good at it several times -- And I'm still better than most hearies around me, but most Deaf folks blind me.

And as I pointed out in my prior post: If you know the definition of the word it is often easier to just sign the definition.

Ohhhhh, ok. That makes sense, Berry. Thank you so much for your input. :ty:

Yeah, I'm right-handed, even though my fingers won't do the "W." One finger will stay bent or it will look like a "V," unless I tilt it back to show the 3 fingers for the "W."

As for practicing reading fingerspelling, the amount of concentration is enough to give me a good-sized headache. I'm not sure why, hehe. Lip-reading takes a lot of concentration to give me incredible fatigue. The fatigue is more when trying to lip-read folks that are not easy or impossible to lip-read. But I never ended up with a headache from lip-reading. :hmm:

I would try to sign the idea and then finger spell it. After the first time, I would just sign the concept to refer to the word, though. (Can't give an example with plasmapheresis cause I have no idea what that means.)

Edit: Accidentally missed Berry's post. I'd do the same thing Berry described.

i struggle with reading fingerspelling because of my vision. I am normally okay as long as there is a good context set up. Just try to break down the mental block.

Jenny, I read your "Journeys of a Deaf Girl" blog. It was an interesting read. The frustrations you've had are similar to mine. Oh, yes. I know the tension of being around hearing people, having to concentrate so hard to lip-read. And the feeling of inclusion when you're around deaf people using sign language. It's awesome.

Jenny, I read your "Journeys of a Deaf Girl" blog. It was an interesting read. The frustrations you've had are similar to mine. Oh, yes. I know the tension of being around hearing people, having to concentrate so hard to lip-read. And the feeling of inclusion when you're around deaf people using sign language. It's awesome.

Thanks! I have stopped blogging but I do need to get back into it. I have changed a LOT since I started that blog. Screw lip reading, GO ASL! haha

:twisted: Yeah! :rockon::party

I'm having way too much fun using these emoticons. I love this one :devil:

Hee hee. :rockon: :ily:

Thanks for posting

I know plenty of native/fluent signers that finger spell slowly. Doesn't stop them from using the rest of the language though. :) Don't let that stop you.

Funny you mention the hand issues as I have arthritis. I know you said you don't, but it's possible the tendons or muscles in your hands get stiff. I find running my hands under hot water, even just for 5 minutes, to be really helpful. I take anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxants for TMJ/arthritis, which help with my body in general, including my hands.

I can't form the R shape so my R's look like U's. Sometimes I bend my middle finger down instead of trying to cross it over the index finger.

I also have a hard time with 1 handshape so I sign closer to a D. And I can't fully sign a W either but I can get my pinkies and thumbs close enough so that it is W-ish enough to be read as a W. I can't bring up my finger for X on its own so I often sign the handshape you use for "writing" and "changing".

Lastly, with my wife, I use the modified BSL alphabet for the Deafblind because it requires less movement than the ASL modified alphabet.

Video of BSL alphabet for the Deafblind:

BSL alphabet for the Deafblind

Description of DB-modified BSL alphabet

Thanks for posting the video

simply put when you finger spell don't use the full motion I see a lot of people sign N and M at 30 or 35 angle from the the side of the thumb. Also R barely have the index and middle finger over lap. I used to sign using my wrist and tendons pulling a lot it's unnecessary strain on your hand. Try wrist and hand massages or change hands when fingerspelling if you can but let the person know. Other than that not a whole lot I can think of, key is make sure when you pick how to do the letters make sure they won't get confused with another letter. Fingerspelling at least for beginners seems simple but to do it well at least for me is quite the task. Especially because I'm more of a written speller need to see the word on paper to ensure I spell it right.

Back