Two IT questions

Thank you!

I am still going to ask the teacher about NETBios because both you and Naisho (and also what I found researching online) all say this is connectionless. So why would that be wrong on the homework quiz? Makes no sense to me.

You're welcome.

Sure, let me know what your teacher say about this. I'm curious to know.

Thanks.

Hey A. I dunno why the question was wrong, but I can see someone else's reasoning why.

Netbios basically stands for:
Net
Basic
Input
Output
System

NetBEUI is similar, just a modified/extended ver:
NetBIOS
Extended
User
Interface

What the netbios/netbeui handles is the data being transferred over a network, similar to TCP/IP, IPX, except in different form. It sends the very basic data when transmitting, primarily three things -
1 - the ethernet adapter
2 - SSAP - source server (or service? forgot) access point - says where the data is being sent
3 - DSAP - destination server/service access point - says which unit to reach.

An example that would still use the NetBeui/NetBIOS extension today would be the office xerox machines to the office PC's. they operate a bit differently from your home printer and that's the method that I believe the older machines use, and some still use (unless its outdated today, I haven't kept up with much of the printer industry).

When it sends those 3 data, that's all that is needed for a connectionless communication. Although, I just googled up why netbios would not be connectionless, and from what microsoft stated, in often cases the method transmitted deemed unreliable. I don't know how to explain this, but perhaps microsoft can do a better job that me

Microsoft:
Microsoft Corporation

Enthusiast:
NetBIOS Specification - Index

You should ask your teacher about it. See what "his view" on it is. Sources otherwise prove that NetBIOS/NetBEUI are connectionless.

I will ask HER ;) about it, yes.

You make an interesting point about it being "unreliable" - I did see that in the book about NETBios, but it never said it was connectionless. However, my book does define connectionless as fast BUT unreliable (just as you said, and vs. a connection which is slower but more reliable). So perhaps our teacher decided we were supposed to deduce something from that .. Argh !!!! :lol:

Three case projects here in case anyone is interested. Each of these 3 are only worth 5 points apiece; we get 3 points just for even answering it, 4 points if we are about 1/2 way correct, and all 5 points for getting it right. So any help anyone wants to give me, only gives me a few points, so please don't feel like you're making a grade for me. I will show the question and then MY answer. My answers are absolutely LAME. If you think you can enhance on it I would love to hear it.

1. Handy Widgets operates in an office park in 3 buildings that aren't currently connected to each other. The cabling closet on each floor of each building is centrally located, with no desktop run past 50 meters. I was hired to design a network that would support high-speed connections between the buildings (which are 500-700 meters apart.) The IT steering committee wants the network to be able to move from 10 Mbps to 100 Mpbs in the future. Fault tolerance is an imperative issue here. Outline this network, including transmission speeds, cabling, media types, distances, hubs, locations.

My answer:

One option would be to choose fiber-optic cable. It can support up to 100 km which would far exceed the 500-700 meters the new network Handy Widgets needs. It also provides for prevention of electronic eavesdropping if that should be an issue, and no electric signals can pass through so all interference issues are eliminated. Bandwidth is at 10 Gbps and up.

Another option would be to use 1000BaseLX; it is expensive and hard to install, but a full-duplex scenario would provide for 5000 meters. Switching would be used as the hub / channel access method. 2000 Mpbs transmission speed would be available.

2. As an administrator for my group's Mac network, I have been asked to upgrade and connect to the existing PC network. Develop a plan to connect the networks. Include protocols, transmission speeds, cabling, etc.

My answer:

LocalTalk only supports up to 230.4 Kbps. To upgrade, either EtherTalk or TokenTalk would suffice. EtherTalk runs over a 10 Mbps IEEE 802.3 Ethernet network, and TokenTalk runs over a 4 or 16 Mbps IEEE 802.5 token ring network. This is a substantial upgrade over LocalTalk.

With extra software, each of these can be run on a PC Ethernet or token ring environment at a reasonably low cost. Users will be able to access Windows file and printer shares.

3. I have to design a network for a training environment which should be mobile, easy to set up, and simple to tear don. Speed is NOT an issue. Design a network.

My answer:

To create a scenario that allows for a mobile network, cable modem networking is an option. It is broadband technology that uses a standard cable television coaxial cable. As long as a user has access to this type of cable, that user can connect to a network. This operates off some of the premises of 10Base 2 Ethernet properties.

Another option would be to use DSL. This uses existing phone lines for internet access. As long as the location a user wants to use a mobile network has a DSL subscription, that user will be able to connect to the internet.

I apologize if my answers are lame, which I think they are. I don't know how to answer these any better than I have. My point of attending this IT program was for the web-programming emphasis which I haven't gotten to yet, and am covering basic IT network classes which I'm having a little difficulty getting through. Thanks!

I would like to help but I must study for my bio test right now ;_;
I will check back tomorrow to see if time isn't a concern.

Sneaking a quick moment on here while I'm in class. I have to have this done by the weekend so there's time. Make sure you get YOUR classes done first! Thanks!

#1, hard to give a suggestion.. I am not well versed in the architecture of the network blueprinting.. But key word I notice there is the Fault tolerance. In the corporate industry, whenever we heard this word, our customers simply wanted the best available regardless of cost. So it will have to be something along that line, as it looks like cost is not a factor. It would seem that fiber optic isn't a bad choice, and yes, the distance covered would be way further than Haney requires.

#2, near zero experience with Mac, have not ever touched it except once for high school journalism class. But common sense would tell me that there is a bridge over the network sharing somewhere that they can come to common grounds. Linux and Windows already does it.

#3 I can give experience. Wouldn't you want a wireless router with wireless bridges? Your average border's store operates off one wireless router or so, last I knew. DSL or Cable or even FIOS should be fine, as all of these connections can be shared over the wireless network. Note that since speed is not an issue, any wireless router will do, or broadband type for that part. But probably go 802.11n (wireless speed) for most up to date compatibility with everyone's laptops. Range with an wireless N inside a building should cover probably 200+ ft average.

Perhaps you also want some RJ45 jacks available incase the trainer/trainees (PC-related?) need to utilize off the cable, but that is completely optional. They would have to bring their own CAT5 cables or model the room so that the tables can better support their needs. But tear down will be a problem, so I think hardwiring is out of the loop here.

Naisho, thanks!

I have just one last question. After this all these questions are DONE! :D

I'm just gonna give the basics of the question here ... I will say I don't understand the significance of including the 10BaseT in this. So if you can point out why that's important (or not, if they just "threw" that in there) Anyways:

An engineering department that has been running off its own network with Novell Netware (with 25 client computers) and Windows XP Pro and a hub-based 10BaseT implementation is going to physically connect to the rest of the departments on campus. The campus' current config is Windows Server 2003 with Windows XP Pro using TCP/IP. What do I need to do to make this connection happen with as minimal disruption as possible?

Many thanks for any advice!

Hmm... I may have done this before at work, but I don't know how to describe what I do!

It's basically editing some network configurations in the novell config to set the root properly, and checkbox, configure some things, that I don't remember until I see it again.. while all are connected to a windows 2003 server. It was the same basic non-novell win xp network configuration. But aside from this, I don't recall what else was needed to be done for novell. I'd have to ask my ex-coworker, who I always contacted for novell questions.

But going back onto topic:
10baseT covers ~300 ft range maximum.

In order to make the engineering dept's connect work, it can only go to a 300ft range max, so I'm guessing basically the question is asking how would you extend this connection without the distance limitation.

I don't know, this question puzzles me. I'm guessing the 10baseT is for the concept of the distance. If I wanted to extend the connection, then I can simply add a network switch somewhere to extend the connection to the distance needed.

That would make total sense as to why 10BaseT was mentioned. So I will throw that in there about needing switches "if needed" - the question does not mention at all any distance issues.

I think I already got the software issues covered.

Thanks so much!

Back