Two Galaxies to Collide!

From what I understand, this already happened 12 billion years ago. So we get to see it now seeing about the time of the birth of our world.

From what I understand, this already happened 12 billion years ago. So we get to see it now seeing about the time of the birth of our world.

Its true, its like being in a time tunnel, watching the history, seeing what happened to those galaxies 12 billion years ago :)

-

Can you imagine our galaxy colliding with another?

That's a frightening thought! Same with black holes...my hubby and I watch the Science channel often and we are both fascinated with what happens out in the far space. We watched an episode about super black holes. There is one near our galaxy. :Ohno:

What does that mean? Is our Earth going to collide with the black holes in 50 million years or what? Or is that just the discovery of how the astronomers find that there is a galaxies being collided together? Can you explain what all this mean? :confused:

I think the collision resulted in a blank page in the link....... :shock:

What does that mean? Is our Earth going to collide with the black holes in 50 million years or what? Or is that just the discovery of how the astronomers find that there is a galaxies being collided together? Can you explain what all this mean? :confused:

A megamerger in space: Two black holes collide | csmonitor.com

This is a link to an article about our galaxy when it collides with another, in about 4 billion years. Apparently not much will happen.

Unless someone is up close to the collision, it won't rattle any dishes. Astronomers calculate than when the Andromeda galaxy collides with our own galaxy in about 4 billion years, the galaxies' black holes will merge. As seen from Earth, the center of the Milky Way, currently obscured by dust, will glow as brightly as the full moon. Gravity waves from the collision would be expected to shift the Earth a few centimeters from its pre-collision orbit, Hasinger noted.

Wow. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I think I understand what is happening in the universe and also make the discovering of the collision of two galaxies. This is a very interesting topic. Our world, Earth, and other planets being in the universe with the Sun and many moons are very mysterious and very enlightening. I find it fantastic. Wow. :hmm:

Back