TTY Software.

JoshiesWorld

Reaction score
Is there a such thing as TTY software for Windows computers (desktop/laptop) or Mac (desktop/laptop) instead of using an actual TTY machine? I have been wondering if there is anything like it, TTY software and use TTY software to call via relay service. I found one but I am not sure if it still working today because I don't know if FCC allows it or not.

Of course I know TTY still being used to day, despite that TTY is becoming obsolete due to Video Relay Service as our today's new technology for communication and I wouldn't use TTY as I feel it is outdated with VRS being a much better way to communicate with anybody. But if there's TTY software for PC then I think they might just work because it's better to type on your favorite keyboards than to type these keyboard that came with the TTY phone which is often very time consuming.

If there's TTY software and how to go about it I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Joshie.

Is there a such thing as TTY software for Windows computers (desktop/laptop) or Mac (desktop/laptop) instead of using an actual TTY machine? I have been wondering if there is anything like it, TTY software and use TTY software to call via relay service. I found one but I am not sure if it still working today because I don't know if FCC allows it or not.

Of course I know TTY still being used to day, despite that TTY is becoming obsolete due to Video Relay Service as our today's new technology for communication and I wouldn't use TTY as I feel it is outdated with VRS being a much better way to communicate with anybody. But if there's TTY software for PC then I think they might just work because it's better to type on your favorite keyboards than to type these keyboard that came with the TTY phone which is often very time consuming.

Thanks,
Joshie.

First off you choice of font and point size makes your post hard to read for most and really a problem for members that have vision problems in addition to hearing issues.

Now to what you posted about. I have not followed up on it but know that there used to be. The question is does it work with one of the current operating systems. I do not desire to use it because it did not offer VCO and thus have not followed up on it.

In declaring the TTY obsolete you are forgetting those of us that DO NOT use sign language at all. I have taken beginning ASL through a couple of different times and made NO contacts to continue to use it and improve. Thus, I have forgotten 99% of what I learned. I do not think I am the only one that does not hear well enough to use a voice phone alone but also does not sign!

Also you keep talking about typing a conversation. I have talked all my life (now in 70's) and much, much prefer VCO during a phone call. That is in spite of the fact that I have typed since the 1950' and much prefer it to handwriting.

First- his font and size is fine. If I had an issue with it I would just enlarge/zoom in simple so...please don't speak for me as a deafblind/low vision person.

Joshie- I think there are still software available. If you do a search in AllDeaf there are a few threads about it including about Next- I can't remember the correct name off the top of my head. That one though is not free- I haven't seen a free software for TTY in years though they once existed. It might take some digging to find something but am sure there is something out there. I'd prefer TTY (no VCO) if I could (and still have two) but these days most people are moving to SMS/texting and email as preferred means of communication as well as Instant Messaging. Problem is getting people to actually USE them more regularly lol.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your post correctly. If you are looking to be able to call a relay service (that is text-based as a TTY would be, versus a video-relay service) you could just use Sprint Relay and that is online, and done with your computer. No software needed. Just register a phone number for yourself and you can call anyone via relay service. Is that along the lines of what you are looking for?

Thanks,
Joshie.

NexTalk ACCESS is a software program that includes TTY, relay, point-to-point text and point-to-point video. It's not free, it's 6.95 a month. As deaf Ducky mentioned, free tty programs don't exist anymore. We are working on a new upgrade that will allow you to place VCO and HCO calls with no operators or interpreter in the middle of the call. At last you can have a call with out a third person being a part of it.

That is what I have, the only IP Relay service. It is a shame that the FCC disbanded IP Relay, under assumption that every Deaf and Hard of Hearing knows ASL. Yes I know ASL, I cannot speak too but I have limited mobility in my arms which that means I cannot move my arms around freely to sign. Like I cannot reach an R to my chin to sign red, or even let alone signing pink or sign girl/boy. My elbows cannot bend too well for me to touch my face and my shoulders would not allow me to reach my hands above my nose so in this situation I need IP Relay sometimes. I can use VRS, I can sign comfortably but the problem is where I have that problem with my arms my signs are not always clear enough for the interpreters to understand enough to interpret.

I'm not sure that they disbanded based on the assumption that every deaf person uses ASL or other form of signing. I think it had to do more with money/finances and/or more people moving to text messaging, email, video etc.

That is what I have, the only IP Relay service. It is a shame that the FCC disbanded IP Relay, under assumption that every Deaf and Hard of Hearing knows ASL. Yes I know ASL, I cannot speak too but I have limited mobility in my arms which that means I cannot move my arms around freely to sign. Like I cannot reach an R to my chin to sign red, or even let alone signing pink or sign girl/boy. My elbows cannot bend too well for me to touch my face and my shoulders would not allow me to reach my hands above my nose so in this situation I need IP Relay sometimes. I can use VRS, I can sign comfortably but the problem is where I have that problem with my arms my signs are not always clear enough for the interpreters to understand enough to interpret.
You could blame on John T. Yeh. Yes, we had several great IP relay servicd back then. Its John T. Yeh who defrauded FCC by racking minutes on fake calls, FCC decided not to trust nobody, requiring anyone who wants to run relay service provider must acquire certification, pay steep security deposit with risk of forfeitures if one small tweeny tiny evidence of fraud. They also cut rates to the point theres not much room for profit when running IP relay service.
Long dark history related to this, plus this add insult to injury to Deaf community because John himself is deaf! What embarassement for Deaf community. Plus another Deaf person, Anthony Mowl too Deaf and did defrauded FCC too. I know Mowl family, really shame!

I'm interested in PC software for TTY I can use with an external dialup voice modem. I hate using TTY machines, and I have found there are some occasions where I want to dial a TTY number and be able to save information on my computer. It's not easy to type up notes from TTY paper! There are lots of helpful TTY numbers, and then also, how do I call another deaf person if I only have a TTY number for them?

I'm interested in PC software for TTY I can use with an external dialup voice modem. I hate using TTY machines, and I have found there are some occasions where I want to dial a TTY number and be able to save information on my computer. It's not easy to type up notes from TTY paper! There are lots of helpful TTY numbers, and then also, how do I call another deaf person if I only have a TTY number for them?
I can't help but wonder just what you problem with using a TTY is? The keyboard on a full size TTY is sooo similar to a PC keyboard even in size.

There use to be one but so far it seems to say it's unavailable. I'm assuming it's out of date? Unless someone else knows. I looked up NexTalk but it seems to be for large buisnesses

My suggestion is to use the https://tmobileip.com/auth/login
tmobile ip relay to call other TTY users if you don't have a physical TTY

There is RTT which is called real time texting that you can use on on smartphones and tablets and on Macs. Not sure about PC computers. This is one is for andriod/google base - https://support.google.com/accessibility/android/answer/9042284?hl=en

I understand everything is all smartphones, videos and high speed internet. Leaving TTYs or other older tech sitting in the dust but it feels most comfortable and familiar so I get it. I'm helping out my parents with dealing all the techy stuff and it's confusing!

Back