Trust Purple / Z VRS?

astrotrek

Reaction score
Do you trust Purple/Z VRS? please check http://get.purplevrs.com/complete

When I completed the application to get the package, they called me about offer new ipad, mac pro, ring bell, flash for lamp and p70 but they tricked me that they forced me to close my sorenson account. I told them that I couldn't close my sorenson account so they quick hung me. wow! :shock:

it happened to you or anyone?

wow... i signed up for purple and never got it. I also have Sorenson acct but hardly use it now, long story. But The purple vrs is a joke. I never get any answers from them.

I have ZVRS. Both or rather ALL of them- try to convince you to port over whatever number you have. I've had both Sorenson and ZVRS do that. Usually that is the only way you can get the equipment that you want like the P70 or Z70. I think it's the only way to get the new i whatever it is now. I'm waiting for them to release that to existing members- might be able to trade in my Z70.

Anyway- I've never had big issues with ZVRS. Interestingly I recently had the experience of working with both a ZVRS interpreter and a Purple interpreter in the same call (I started with Z, somehow lost my connection - might have been my wifi.., then reconnected to the same call with a P terp). I REALLY noticed the difference. Z I could see better...closer, P the interpreter was sitting too far back for my taste.

I am debating on trying out Sorenson or Convo again. Sorenson I did not have a good experience with a couple of interpreters (and was unable to hear any voice mails- with Z I can hear AND see the ASL voice mail), Convo originally their PC interface wasn't to my liking-- too small and no dark theme. I've heard differently now.

The whole VRS scheme is about as bad as the whole mobile phone scenario... can't decide, competing between the three big ones (now that P and Z are one)....would do (and at one time I did when i first tried them all out) all of them... but having 5 billion phone numbers is a PITA.

I quit using Sorenson back in 2006. I signed up for ZVRS and became an Installer. I learned alot about Sorenson. Lot of Sorenson employees left for ZVRS and PURPLE because of pay, dishonesty and career ceiling limit. I learned that later on few years ago, new Sorenson CEO took over and he apologized many deaf who worked long time never get penny raise and promotion ect (friend of mine who's father works for Sorenson as custodian). I don't like Sorenson equipments ect. I used their Sorenson VRS few times at work and some interpreter isn't good, one of them scolded me when I tried to connect with Union Steward and I had to hang up asap (interpreter tried to tell me what to do when he is not supposed to get involved. I don't know who he is). I use ZVRS interpreter and never had any issue so did Purple. I have Z5 Max touchscreen computer and it's getting old. My desktop computer (6 core processor, 16gb, and 4GB ATI 730 graphic running on Windows 10) ran pefectly fine with Purple with clear video (I use Logitech 920 Webcam).

ZVRS manager told me just be nice to Sorenson, although they are good people but the equipments are not up to date (not using SIP) which was the issue.

I still use Sorenson nTouch for my computer. I tried Purple, but I never received any call back from customer service for assistance. Oh, well.

Last edited:
This might help explain what's going on.
https://www.*********.com/.../FCC-Reaches-91-Million-Settlement-with-ZVRSPurple

I have Z5 Max touchscreen computer and it's getting old.

You might be able to trade that in for a Z70 the newer version of the touchscreen. It's pretty nice. The video still kind of is wonky- but I get that on both the Z70 AND my PC.

Purple paid 18 millions fine to the FCc, twice!
Sorenson have their own network. ZVRS/Purple has to rent a server to use their service, no??

I quit using Sorenson back in 2006. I signed up for ZVRS and became an Installer. I learned alot about Sorenson. Lot of Sorenson employees left for ZVRS and PURPLE because of pay, dishonesty and career ceiling limit. I learned that later on few years ago, new Sorenson CEO took over and he apologized many deaf who worked long time never get penny raise and promotion ect (friend of mine who's father works for Sorenson as custodian). I don't like Sorenson equipments ect. I used their Sorenson VRS few times at work and some interpreter isn't good, one of them scolded me when I tried to connect with Union Steward and I had to hang up asap (interpreter tried to tell me what to do when he is not supposed to get involved. I don't know who he is). I use ZVRS interpreter and never had any issue so did Purple. I have Z5 Max touchscreen computer and it's getting old. My desktop computer (6 core processor, 16gb, and 4GB ATI 730 graphic running on Windows 10) ran pefectly fine with Purple with clear video (I use Logitech 920 Webcam).

ZVRS manager told me just be nice to Sorenson, although they are good people but the equipments are not up to date (not using SIP) which was the issue.

I am curious, why not just IP Relay the calls and then talk to your deaf/signing buddies using Skype, Messenger, Discord or whatever?

Personally I found an IP Relay seems to be somewhat smoother. Of course you get those incompetence (some are rude, some hang up, and oddly some are hilarious) people. But overall I find it works out better in the end (usually redialing to a different rep at an hour or so later is enough). Failing that proofs are a mouse click away to boot.

To each their own. I find IP Relay slower than Video Relay to be honest... but it's been years. I didn't have a very good experience with the CaptTel phone I had about 10 years ago (actually I still have it- it's somewhere around here collecting dust). Plus I seem to get better accuracy with Video Relay than with caption/text relay. Sure still some error- especially with names and sometimes technical terms but you'd get the same with both types of relays. Just that text seems to have more spelling errors- to me at least.

As for talking to buddies via Skype, discord etc... the other person still would have to have the same program as you do. This would work for hearing who know sign (as hearing cannot get VRS unless they pay a fee or something).

Me personally... a 'phone call is a phone call is a phone call' no matter what the means are- voice on a landline rotary phone, text relay or VRS- I still hate phone calls! LOL. I guess it's the trauma of using the landline (both with the body aid- had to hold the handset upside down lol and with BTE)...

I find IP Relay slower than Video Relay to be honest...

At least with my current experiences it take about 15 seconds to get an operator going. I would say from like 5 years ago that's about the same if not slightly longer to get an interpreter to even shows up (does not even includes to "would you like to dial blah blah blah?").

Once that is considered I am sure the IP relay is faster now.

Though the other points are pretty valid to an extend. Like the text errors but for the MOST part it accurate "enough" to be able to communicate without saying "what do you mean?" or whatever.

I’ve never used VP before because always had enough hearing to hear a enough on the phone. I can’t anymore my hearing is getting worse. What suggestions do you have? Seems everyone has mixed opinions. I live near DC. I just hope I can get something useful.

I’ve never used VP before because always had enough hearing to hear a enough on the phone. I can’t anymore my hearing is getting worse. What suggestions do you have? Seems everyone has mixed opinions. I live near DC. I just hope I can get something useful.

Are you willing to talk for yourself? Do you use a cell phone?

If the answer to both is yes what I like is InnoCaption. I have tried apps from several different services and that is the one I prefer. Their site with a lot of details about their service is at https://www.innocaption.com/
click on the different sections as there is a lot of information there.

I quited PurpleVRS, Sorenson. I stick with Sprint IP relay on iPhone, iPad and free software TTY on iPhone.

well -- having a sorenson number and z then i signed up for the new Z/purple promo that gives you new stuff - my sorenson vp quit working. ok fine - just call up sorenson and they gave me new number and voila vp works again . so you are not really stuck -- you just need to call and ask.

Back