True Spirit of Collaboration

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWA

Premium Member
Reaction score
Whaaahhh! whhhaaahhh!!! If we don't get what we want, we're just going to throw a temper tantrum and make life hard for everybody! Wahhhhhh!!!

Bunch of spoiled little brats, if you ask me.

Senate GOP pledges to block all bills until tax dispute resolved - CNN.com

Washington (CNN) -- Senate Republicans promised Wednesday to block legislative action on every issue being considered by the lame-duck Congress until the dispute over extending the Bush-era tax cuts is resolved and an extension of current government funding is approved.

All 42 Senate Republicans signed a letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, vowing to prevent a vote on "any legislative item until the Senate has acted to fund the government and we have prevented the tax increase that is currently awaiting all American taxpayers."

"With little time left in this congressional session, legislative scheduling should be focused on these critical priorities. While there are other items that might ultimately be worthy of the Senate's attention, we cannot agree to prioritize any matters above the critical issues of funding the government and preventing a job-killing tax hike," the letter said.

The 2001 and 2003 tax cuts enacted by former President George W. Bush will expire after December 31 if Congress fails to reach an agreement on their extension. Top Democrats and Republicans disagree sharply over whether the current tax rates should be extended just for families earning $250,000 or under per year, or should be extended for everyone regardless of income.

Republicans contend that a failure to extend all of the tax cuts would hamper an already-sluggish economy. President Barack Obama and Democratic congressional leaders argue that the roughly $700 billion price tag attached to an extension of the tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans would be fiscally irresponsible.

White House and congressional tax negotiators are scheduled to begin deliberations Wednesday morning.

On the spending side, a continuing resolution responsible for funding the government is scheduled to expire on Friday.

Democrats are trying to pass several pieces of legislation before a more Republican Congress is sworn in next January, including the START nuclear arms treaty with Russia, a repeal of the ban on gays and lesbians serving openly in the military, and the so-called DREAM Act, which would create a path to citizenship for young illegal immigrants.

Reid blasted the GOP letter on the Senate floor Wednesday morning, calling it part of a "cynical" and transparent" Republican strategy to "obstruct" and "delay" legislative progress while blaming the Democrats for failing to effectively govern.

"Last month, the American people issued their verdict on the Democrat's priorities," replied Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky. "We need to show the American people that we care more about them and their ability to pay their bills than we do about the special interests' legislative Christmas-list."

So much for accusing President Obama of not cooperating and compromising with the Congress.... heh.

So much for accusing President Obama of not cooperating and compromising with the Congress.... heh.

Eh, what do you care, you damn canuck. :lol:

Seriously, the hypocrisy is just sickening.

waiting for famous line...... :hmm:

Just another way of rigging things. :roll:

Yeah - the whole political shebang over there at the Captiol is really turning me off. I've lost interest and pretty much want to tell all politicians to go screw themselves.

Well, if 42 Republicans can stop the Senate, surely 49 Democrats can block things in 2011. Back and forth, with nothing getting done except investigations into wrong doings by elected officials, hand wringing, and more of the usual inactivity. I am shocked they found a way to spend 1.4 trillion excess dollars. :wave:

Good thing we keep electing these 2 parties to do this familiar dance routine.

Yeah - the whole political shebang over there at the Captiol is really turning me off. I've lost interest and pretty much want to tell all politicians to go screw themselves.

That would be a change. Most of them are busy screwing us.

I like for a lot worse things to happen to them.

They cant screw themselves. That would make them more more uptight.

What they need is a large group orgy and weed.

Then they would love the world and want to save it.

They cant screw themselves. That would make them more more uptight.

What they need is a large group orgy and weed.

Then they would love the world and want to save it.

LOL, this is one of the few times I would condone polyamory and unrestricted drug use. Great idea, Shel!

All 42 Senate Republicans signed a letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, vowing to prevent a vote on "any legislative item until the Senate has acted to fund the government and we have prevented the tax increase that is currently awaiting all American taxpayers."

I love it! :)

Time for our government to be responsible for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back