True or False?? About CI

katz4life

Reaction score
True or False:

Are CI working on ALL of Deaf individuals?

I know it is not 100 percent fact that it works on all Deaf individuals. Sigh.

No, they don't work for all deaf individuals. That's a huge factor in what has kept me away from it personally. I've considered it... but definitely not something I'm "jumping for joy" all over. There are many many many reasons for being deaf. The C.I. can't treat every single cause of deafness.

Since my post is being ridiculed and offense to some people I am removing it. I won't be back to this group.

Last edited:
Phoenix, Thank you very much for the answer! I just got turned off by a comment posted in my FB status, she assumed that CI would help me and us all deaf people. WTF? My audiologist told me that I was NOT a candidate to have CI due that I was born with neurological damage in both of my ears. That means I will never get any benefit from it. My old friend was not a candidate either for the same reason. My other friend could not get re-surgery with CI after he had CI infection/complication. So he is fully deaf in his one ear and will not hear ever again after CI metal removed.

Excuse me, Granna....look at my post above. You turned me off. Really.

Excuse me, Granna....look at my post above. You turned me off. Really.

I have to agree with Katz... I understand you lost your hearing later on in life... in your 50's you said... but just because it's for you doesn't mean it's for all deaf. I will be 27 ( September 23rd ) and I lost my hearing when I was about 20 - 21 range. So that's around 6 years give or take. I'm perfectly fine and happy the way I am. I learned ASL, and I have a job. I can hear with a H.A. yes, and there are other options for me I'm considering... but I do NOT like the C.I. when I've read up on it. There are mess ups, people it doesn't work for, damage it can cause, things you can't do with it... no thanks. To each their own... Seriously I know a lot of deafies that have it... totally cool.. but for me, the C.I is a no go. Being deaf doesn't mean you enjoy less, or you're broken, it just means you're deaf. Katz, you're perfectly fine the way you are. =) Also, everyone knows deaf chicks are hotter. =P Hehe...

Seriously though, that post sounded like the people that come to my door to speak to me about Jesus... LMAO!

I kind of laugh when they come, because I tell them I am deaf and they look at each other confused and stuff. I'm like, want to write all this down? PUSH ON THEN! lmao! <3

It's rude that you think you know it all. Don't jump to the wrong conclusion or assume that you know about my background or others'. That's all. All you need is educate yourself with the facts. Thank you.

I have to agree with Katz... I understand you lost your hearing later on in life... in your 50's you said... but just because it's for you doesn't mean it's for all deaf. I will be 27 ( September 23rd ) and I lost my hearing when I was about 20 - 21 range. So that's around 6 years give or take. I'm perfectly fine and happy the way I am. I learned ASL, and I have a job. I can hear with a H.A. yes, and there are other options for me I'm considering... but I do NOT like the C.I. when I've read up on it. There are mess ups, people it doesn't work for, damage it can cause, things you can't do with it... no thanks. To each their own... Seriously I know a lot of deafies that have it... totally cool.. but for me, the C.I is a no go. Being deaf doesn't mean you enjoy less, or you're broken, it just means you're deaf. Katz, you're perfectly fine the way you are. =) Also, everyone knows deaf chicks are hotter. =P Hehe...

Seriously though, that post sounded like the people that come to my door to speak to me about Jesus... LMAO!

I kind of laugh when they come, because I tell them I am deaf and they look at each other confused and stuff. I'm like, want to write all this down? PUSH ON THEN! lmao! <3

Yeah, I felt so low when she said about me being born deaf and should have mastered in speech and/or speechreading and listening. I was thinking 'WHAT' she had no idea what I had been thru all of these shyts. From the result of 15 years of speech therapy on me and for the outcome result, have I been mastered in them??? Oh gosh....c'mon.

Like Pokemon... You must become the master and master it ALL! hehehe... =P

We're not rude, it's rude when you go assume things on other people, or say EVERYONE should have one... Well some deaf people don't want one... If you would have posted it differently, you wouldn't have got such a negative response... It wasn't rude what we said, it was truth and correcting your ignorance.

It was my Jesus joke wasn't it... >.> hahahaha....

Many deaf people are not helped by CI. If the auditory nerve has damage, or the cochlea is malformed are two of the reasons it won't work.

I wonder what the late deafened woman Granna said when I was sleeping.

I hope you will continue to sleep on occasion. Catching them all is tempting, but not worth it. As far as I can tell.

Iguana.

Many deaf people are not helped by CI. If the auditory nerve has damage, or the cochlea is malformed are two of the reasons it won't work.

Me too.

I hope you will continue to sleep on occasion. Catching them all is tempting, but not worth it. As far as I can tell.

Iguana.

well i really love botti's mystery mind that wakes me up sometimes. :giggle: Therefore i really want to see what she is thinking of everyones posts so she should stay awake. LOL

well i really love botti's mystery mind that wakes me up sometimes. :giggle: Therefore i really want to see what she is thinking of everyones posts so she should stay awake. LOL

Yes, agreed, Botti's mind is pretty spectacular. Maybe we can work in shifts when she's sleeping, quote everything. We could even have some boilerplate text to paste after the quote:

"That's very interesting. I wonder what Bott would think of that."

True or False:

Are CI working on ALL of Deaf individuals?

I know it is not 100 percent fact that it works on all Deaf individuals. Sigh.

No, there are many reasons that someone would not be a cochlear implant candidate.

I have had my Cochlear Implant- 6 years. Implanted when I was 70 years old.Aside: I am bilateral DEAF- since December 20, 2006

Some factual info from Sunnybrook- Cochlear section/Toronto. Since 1984 they have reviewed 3000 referred persons for consideration of a Cochlear Implant. 2000 were rejected for one reason or other. I am part of 1000 group. Of that group 18 didnt' benefit from their Implant. Info current to last month.

Whether similar results in other Implant centers-unknown

you shouldnt edit your post because your opinion may be value to some people.

I wish I knew what was said because people are referencing it when they post...

Personally I am scheduled for the surgery. I thought long and hard about it and I'm doing it one ear at a time because its not a certain thing that it will work. I'd rather have one at a time and trust that I still can know when something important is happening with my HA. My reason for getting a CI is that my right side has so little function that its exhausting for me... Much of my world is working with hearing people. It's my choice, and I know it may not work.

If I had to choose if I would do the implant for a child, I don't think I would. There are far more risks and honestly I'm glad I had a rough and tumble childhood - I wouldn't want to take that from a child. I think there are plenty of ways to function as I am now even without a CI yet... But I'll risk the 10% function of my right ear to try to use a CI. I don't think it's for everyone though.

Back