True ASL dictionaries

I just got the handshape dictionary (The American Sign Language Handshape Dictionary - Richard A. Tennant - Google Books) from the library and it seems quite good to me. I was instantly able to find the signs I have been wondering about. I am surprised there aren't more dictionaries out there that group signs by handshapes, as trying to translate English into ASL tends to be a bad linguistic habit in general.

I recently got the same dictionary and agree with you. I have a question about the DVD which for me is the best part of the purchase. It says it can be copied once for back-up purposes only. What is the best way to do that? It is so interactive and supposedly will not work on most DVD players so how can I make a fully usable copy?

Anyone have ideas? I sure do wish this could be used with my mobile android somehow....

I recently got the same dictionary and agree with you. I have a question about the DVD which for me is the best part of the purchase. It says it can be copied once for back-up purposes only. What is the best way to do that? It is so interactive and supposedly will not work on most DVD players so how can I make a fully usable copy?

Anyone have ideas? I sure do wish this could be used with my mobile android somehow....
Just curious, did you play the DVD on the computer? If so, what program did you use? I don't have a TV and am trying to play it on my MacBook Pro Viewer application, but for some reason it's telling me that the DVD is not supported. :shock:

As for your question, I'm not sure how to put video on my phone at all. I've seen someone else from my ASL class do it, but at the time when I could ask her how she did it, she insisted on speaking and I was in signing mode so I didn't feel like making much conversation with her. Lame excuse, I know. :P

Last edited:
Back