trouble taking walks because of no trafic noise..

Well...maybe it's time to learn ASL...and use an interpretor for ur doctor visits and such.....I love my independence...would never give it up.

I am working on the asl. know some. Iused to have a deaf friend that I could chat with and she taught me some but then we moved and got lost in hte shuffle..but I am working on it.. Trying.. to learn a few each day.. The E and M thrwo me off. and I feinger spell alot.. but know some signs too. I kinda make my family sign .If they want my attention.. well guess what If you dont look at me I wont look at you and well both be deaf.. and I hate TV cant figure whats going on . cant hear it.. I cant read caption fast enough to watch also.. OH lets hear me WINE sorry...

You do walk facing traffic? Country roads can be bad when there is not enough of a shoulder. I even ride my bicycle facing traffic even though it is illegal, safer for deaf

Oh yeah the faceing traffic is a yes.. they still come from behind you.. My husband says I need to pay more attention.. and so do I.. I think I get a little sturbon...

Well...maybe it's time to learn ASL...and use an interpretor for ur doctor visits and such.....I love my independence...would never give it up.

That is the cutest little dog.... I watch signing video that away if I miss omething then can stop and go back and see.. how they signed something..

There must be a class on this. I know blind people can handle the city traffic.
Short of a seeing eye dog, perhaps you can train your dog for traffic.

It's a difficult situation, but I don't think it is insurmountable.

It seems like you've a lab dog, correct? If so, I can see what kids on bikes are thinking. Let's scare this old lady walking a lab dog. I bet you they'll not be doing this if you had a Rottweiler or a German Shepard. It's sad that people would pick on you. I'm sure your family has a handle on this situation.

i getting more jittery about walking out because like rr i got balance issues,i not as much confidence as i used to have and have fallen over...

I have a hard time telling where things are coming from based on what I can hear. Anytime I hear something, I look left if I don't see it and even then sometimes.

You do walk facing traffic? Country roads can be bad when there is not enough of a shoulder. I even ride my bicycle facing traffic even though it is illegal, safer for deaf

Oh thats another accodomation I have made..if I have to walk on the streets or on the roads due to no sidewalk, I walk facing traffic.

Well I know there is not a magical answer. But thought I might give it a try and see is any of you.Have the same problem as me. You have all given me good advice,thank you so much. Yes my dog is a lab. But I do put a bright glow vest for us walking. So I. Know the idiots out there see me. But with all the texting nd driving no one is safe..

Where I live, the sidewalks don't really exist so I walk on the side of the street. Sometimes someone drives by and beats the horn to make me move, so my hearing aids stay off....

It's frustrating not having good places to walk that are well lit and safe to walk on. I remember one winter, I saw a beautiful German Shepard that I was admiring while walking along the street in the winter. It was a warmer day than most but the snow was still on the ground...and the ice. I ended up falling in front of the guy walking the dog and breaking my hand (which was bleeding everywhere) and to say nothing of how much my ego was hurting.....

Laura

I had a dog that was to be a service dog for me. but it never would do what i needed it to do. I had a lady that had Lady and she had trained her to be a service dog. So I said I would take her and see if she would help me. I had a TIA during the night ,left side went to sleep. lady got up on the bed and woke my husband who called 911. needless to say we have had her every sence. That is why she has a vest.. and yes she is a hearing dog.. sorry that was gruff... I didnt want you to think she couldnt take care of me. I wouldnt trade her for the world.. Walmart stop me and made me show that she could be gentle in their store. she is a real beautiy ,loves people. but she is very attentive for me. nudges me, lets me know if someone comes to close. but never grawls or shows her teeth.. jsut wags her tail.

I did not say you shoud get rid of your dog , I though you got your dog from a hearing dogs place and they should train it better . My hearing dog was very helpful to me and I felr very safe with him. When Finlay saw I was losing my balance while walking he would walking look down at my feet and waited till I was OK then he would start walking again , he was not trained to do this
it was something he just did on his own. I miss him like HELL he will be gone 2 years on Jan 27. :(

Oh that is so sad. I did the same thing tried to catch my self and broke at the wrist.. But I did break my ego too. Hope the guy helped you up. or at least got you help.

I did not say you shoud get rid of your dog , I though you got your dog from a hearing dogs place and they should train it better . My hearing dog was very helpful to me and I felr very safe with him. When Finlay saw I was losing my balance while walking he would walking look down at my feet and waited till I was OK then he would start walking again , he was not trained to do this
it was something he just did on his own. I miss him like HELL he will be gone 2 years on Jan 27. :(

Oh I know that you didnt mean I should get rid of Lady. Yes lady does that too. she walks beside me and lets me hold on if i needed too. although she is short. still gives suport when i need it.
:ty::ty:

As I don't own a car-use public transit-thus have "lots of practice"-walking!
I depend on Vision not hearing even though I have had my Cochlear Implant for 5 1/2 years now.I am alert all the time-for traffic.
So far so good.

My husband says I need to pay attention more. To what is going g on around me. But sometimes I am watching and talking to my dog and forget what is goin on.. facing traffic is what I do .but the streets are narrow so it doesn't help.. young drivers text and drive.. so its a on going battle too.

Walking with your husband or another human friend may be your best option. Another would be to enroll yourselves in dog training/obedience school with those particular goals in mind and communicated to people who run the school.

Thank you all for all your advice.. I am glad to have someone like you to be a good adviser..Thank you so much Linda

Back