Tropical storm Irene approaches

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
This doesn't look good. :(

Tropical Storm Irene continues to grow stronger as it approaches the Puerto Rico.

As of 11 PM, Irene is currently located 50 miles east of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Tropical storm conditions are beginning to spread across eastern Puerto Rico.

Irene has maximum sustained winds of 70 mph and is moving to the west-northwest at 15 mph.

Hurricane Warnings are in effect for Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic.

A Hurricane Watch is up for the U.S. Virgin Islands and the Central Bahamas.

There is a possibility that Irene could make a landfall either in the Gulf coast, Florida or Southeast coast by Friday or Saturday.

All residents of the South Carolina coastline are urged to closely monitor the progress of Irene over the next several days.
Tropical Storm Irene nearing hurricane strength and Puerto Rico | WCBD-TV 2

Tropical storm are lower speed sustained wind systems. Hurricanes are above i think 80mph.

and ive been keepin an eye on all these systems bcuz i have a few friends on the islands out there.

Right on schedule. It is hurricane season after all.

Reba, are you a bit inland or are you on the coast?

We are keeping an eye on the forecast but not making plans to leave, so far.

I hope this chills out or changes course! Some friends and I rented a beach house in st. augustin this weekend and there's no hurricane refund. Being from Fl, I don't really care about any hurricane unless it hits level 3. Otherwise it just means hurricane party! hahaha.

It's already scaring the crap outta me, and it may not even hit us directly. I find hurricane season SO anxiety provoking! :aw:
I know what you mean. I get PTSD feelings every time we have a wind storm. Last week's storm put a huge tree limb thru our neighbor's roof, into the house and garage. Trees surrounding our house are twice as tall as the house. Ugh!

Are you prepared for it, Reba? By that I mean in case the power goes out, etc.

Reba, are you a bit inland or are you on the coast?

We are keeping an eye on the forecast but not making plans to leave, so far.
We're about 26 miles in from the coast but that didn't make a difference with Hurricane Hugo in 1989. The town we lived in then, and the one we live in now were heavily damaged. The house we live in now had trees hit it, roof damage, water damage, loss of siding, and severe soil erosion. The trees that are left are a lot taller and heavier now.

We stayed for Hugo, and evacuated for Floyd.

If you do have to evacuate, gas up and leave early. Evacuations are the worst nightmare.

I know what you mean. I get PTSD feelings every time we have a wind storm. Last week's storm put a huge tree limb thru our neighbor's roof, into the house and garage. Trees surrounding our house are twice as tall as the house. Ugh!

Yeah... School starts in our district in the morning. It looks like it's going to be a 3 day week for the kids unless this storm completely misses us. If it doesn't, even if the storm is of tropical storm status, schools will be closed. It's due to impact us sometime Thurs night into Friday. Watches and warnings may be issued this Tues.

Oh, and, did I mention I HATE storms that hit AT NIGHT? Its already dark, and, with the hurricane shutters down, you can't see squat!

Dear Lord, just get us through this week and protect those that the storm impacts. Amen.

That's all I can say. I'll be thinking about you, Reba!

I hope this chills out or changes course! Some friends and I rented a beach house in st. augustin this weekend and there's no hurricane refund. Being from Fl, I don't really care about any hurricane unless it hits level 3. Otherwise it just means hurricane party! hahaha.

Crazy fool! :laugh2:

Are you prepared for it, Reba? By that I mean in case the power goes out, etc.
Power and water outages, we're prepared. Chain saw and extra chain and gas ready. Destruction of property--not so much. Nothing can be done to prevent that. I worry most about injuries. We also will watch out for our elderly next door neighbors. Our daughter, son-in-law, and two grandsons live near-by but their house doesn't have large trees as close by, so I think they'll be OK. SIL has recovered pretty well from his accident, so he's at least mobile now.

I already replaced my Jeep once this year. I hope I don't have to do it again. ;)

I'm thinking positive--it won't come this way.

Yeah... School starts in our district in the morning.
Some schools here started last week. The rest start tomorrow. I know what you mean about them closing early, just in case.

Oh, and, did I mention I HATE storms that hit AT NIGHT? Its already dark, and, with the hurricane shutters down, you can't see squat!
Exactly! That's what Hugo did. We huddled in our hallway and felt the interior walls heave while large thumps hit the roof. Total darkness outside.

Dear Lord, just get us through this week and protect those that the storm impacts. Amen.
Amen.

That's all I can say. I'll be thinking about you, Reba!
Your name came to my mind as soon as I saw the tracking. :hug:

Back