Tricky question maybe HARSH question

Status
Not open for further replies.
ff I never seen you ask or post anything harsh and neither is.We all get curious some of the questions I wanted to ask people(not DEAF)are awful but it just curiosty

Caz, LOL. see what happened to some members response here. Indeed, i am so curious.

I was born profoundly Deaf. I am an ASL user. I had a good & happy childhood.

I agree with Lissa,

I would have hated it if I was Late Deafened, just imagine having hearing most of your life then having it taken away from you :/

I would prefer to born profoundly Deaf than being late deaf. It s just me.

Well, Frisky Feline, I am a hearing person who read your thread.;) Do you find that all deaf people are lumped into the same group? Obviously, I don't know whether you were born deaf or are late deaf, but do you feel one group is superior to the other?

yes there are too many groups who is superior to the each other. you silly!

Caz, LOL. see what happened to some members response here. Indeed, i am so curious.

I was born profoundly Deaf. I am an ASL user. I had a good & happy childhood.

I agree with Lissa,

I would prefer to born profoundly Deaf than being late deaf. It s just me.

I think you right

Whats the real deal?

I got one word

and it's called

Oppression.

Thru the years, I've had several hearing people say..."I believe the deaf people are just jealous and mad because they cannot hear."...Are we treated like 2nd class people?...I believe so. Is it our fault?...No it isn't....Seems the deaf are the last "to be in the know"...having to ask hearing people what was said or what something means....then the comment..."never mind"...or "I'll tell you later".....Feel it can and will breed a lot of hatred towards hearing people....I've also had people say this about me..."She asks so many questions!"....."are all deaf people like that?".....

FF, It does have a lot to do with how Hearing people treated us Deaf people. When I "See" somebody throws in panic about hearing loss, it is telling me that they KNEW that they are going to suffer oppression that they once never experience before... Claimed loss of communication, thinking that verbal is the ONLY way to communicate, and throw fuss over hearing loss. Being Deaf does not mean living without communication.

This is why I chose Deaf since birth over latened Deaf because I know for sure that I will likely be very discriminative against Deafies, and I will not accept hearing loss that easily, so if I were asked just one word how to describe what is like to have hearing loss, and it is called oppression. If the hearing people in general don't practice oppression, then the chances of hearing people losing their hearing won't be as dramatically comparing to what is really happening nowadays.

what is it relates with my question? :hmm:

Exactly, when hearing people lose their hearing, they KNEW what is going to happen to them when they lost their hearing. Oppression is one thing, what else? Nothing, right? What you just described (as mention in your quote below), what do you call them? I only could think of "oppression".

Thru the years, I've had several hearing people say..."I believe the deaf people are just jealous and mad because they cannot hear."...Are we treated like 2nd class people?...I believe so. Is it our fault?...No it isn't....Seems the deaf are the last "to be in the know"...having to ask hearing people what was said or what something means....then the comment..."never mind"...or "I'll tell you later".....Feel it can and will breed a lot of hatred towards hearing people....I've also had people say this about me..."She asks so many questions!"....."are all deaf people like that?".....

Exactly, when hearing people lose their hearing, they KNEW what is going to happen to them when they lost their hearing. Oppression is one thing, what else? Nothing, right? What you just described (as mention in your quote below), what do you call them? I only could think of "oppression".

Yes I agree this one. its up to me to make choices to say neutral words right when we approach them if I feel oppression.

Neither, I'd rather be born with perfect hearing.

But, since you asked: I'd would have rather been late deafened. I would have been able to learn better and be more social in my childhood.

FF, It does have a lot to do with how Hearing people treated us Deaf people. When I "See" somebody throws in panic about hearing loss, it is telling me that they KNEW that they are going to suffer oppression that they once never experience before...

Not necessarily. it's how you perceive it. very biased, very subjective opinion.
a hearing person may fear loss of hearing simply because they are worried how they are going to manage from now on
without a sense they used to relay on all the time.
it has nothing to to with oppression, everything with lack of. or loss of.

Fuzzy

Not necessarily. it's how you perceive it. very biased, very subjective opinion.
a hearing person may fear loss of hearing simply because they are worried how they are going to manage from now on

Fuzzy

I would agree with this - at least in my case. I was more concerned with my ability to live without the tools I was taught to live with. I wasn't worried about people treating me like crap, although that was more because I was ignorant to the fact that it would actually happen.

I think I would have preferred to be late-deafened at, say, 75 years of age.....:lol:

Fuzzy

I would agree with this - at least in my case. I was more concerned with my ability to live without the tools I was taught to live with. I wasn't worried about people treating me like crap, although that was more because I was ignorant to the fact that it would actually happen.

I agree, too, that hearing people being worried about losing their hearing isn't about oppression. I'm hoh and have been hoh my whole life, and I don't want to become deaf and lose the rest of my hearing, but that has nothing to do with fearing being oppressed if I become deaf. How other people would treat me if I couldn't hear anymore is not something I worry about at all. I simply don't want to lose the hearing I have because I like being able to hear and I'm used to hearing (even though I don't hear as well as people with perfect hearing). But just because I don't want to become deaf doesn't mean I think I'm better than people who are deaf, or that I have any negative feelings whatsoever about people who are deaf. I don't want to become deaf any more than I would want to become blind or lose one of my arms in a car accident. I know there are lots of people who live completely full and happy lives even though they're deaf or blind or have one arm, but that doesn't mean I want these things to happen to me.

Fuzzy

Really? Why worried how they would manage hearing loss? When one worries about dealing with everyday life, what do u call it? The only explaination is knowing oppressors will always be around oppressing them because of hearing loss. Like maybe that person who lost their hearing have to deal with their people who dont believe or take hearing loss as serious, what do you call that? I cant come up with other term than oppression.

Really? Why worried how they would manage hearing loss? When one worries about dealing with everyday life, what do u call it? The only explaination is knowing oppressors will always be around oppressing them because of hearing loss. Like maybe that person who lost their hearing have to deal with their people who dont believe or take hearing loss as serious, what do you call that?I cant come up with other term than oppression.

Disregard or indifference.

Really? Why worried how they would manage hearing loss? When one worries about dealing with everyday life, what do u call it? The only explaination is knowing oppressors will always be around oppressing them because of hearing loss. Like maybe that person who lost their hearing have to deal with their people who dont believe or take hearing loss as serious, what do you call that? I cant come up with other term than oppression.

Fear of oppression isn't the only explanation; just because that's the only explanation you are able to come up with doesn't mean other reasons don't exist. People have told you in this thread and in other threads what their other reasons are. It's completely understandable that you don't understand why hearing people would miss being able to hear, because you have never been able to hear, but it's a bit disrespectful for you to ignore or disbelieve the other reasons people have been giving you (besides fear of oppression) for why they wouldn't want to lose their hearing. You don't seem to like when hearing people don't believe you or take you seriously, but you're exibiting that same attitude towards other people when you ignore opinions that don't agree with yours. Hearing people know better than you (because you've always been deaf) their own personal reasons for not wanting to become deaf, so why are you so unwilling to believe our reasons (even if you don't understand them)?

If you lost both of your arms and were unable to sign, would you be more bothered because you thought people with 2 arms were oppressing you, or because you couldn't sign anymore? I'm guessing you'd be more upset by not being able to communicate with other people than by your worries over being oppressed because you didn't have 2 arms. It's the same for hearing people not wanting to lose our hearing; it would mean losing the ability to communicate easily with others including our family members, possibly having to change jobs, as well as the loss of music and other sounds we may love. Is that really so difficult to believe or understand?

I have several hoh family members, and all of my friends are used to me being hoh, so if I became deaf I don't have to worry about any of them treating me badly; I'm very lucky to have such a good support system. As far as anyone outside of my friends and family oppressing me? I don't care or worry about that any more than I worry about being oppressed because I'm a woman or short or middle-aged or extremely nearsighted or have asthma - which is never. I don't want to become deaf, but if I do, I'm sure I'll be far too busy living my life to be worried about what other random people think of me being deaf.

Last edited:

I'm not saying that some hearing people don't oppress the deaf. I'm not even saying that after a hearing person loses their hearing they won't then be oppressed by hearing individuals. But I don't think hearing people BELIEVE that hearing oppress deaf. Therefore they wouldn't usually fear being oppressed (in my opinion) when they are about to lose their hearing. They would however dread losing something they have relied on their whole life in order to live and wonder how they could live without it.

I can only really say for sure what my opinion is. I haven't really ever been hearing (HOH in my early years), but when my attacks started getting worse and my hearing rapidly declined I wasn't afraid of how I was going to be treated by others (even though I really should have been.) I was more scared about how I was going to communicate with people or be capable of holding down a job or a thousand other things I didn't think I would be able to do because I relied on my hearing to do them at that point even though I was HOH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back