Tricky question maybe HARSH question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frisky Feline

Reaction score
Pick one::

Do you prefer if you were born Profoundly Deaf

Or

born hearing, later in 20's 30's 40's LATE deafened?

WHY>? :wiggle::fruit:

I unable to answer that all can say I know what I lost others don't it different for everyone I would think

The way hearing society treat Deafness, I rather born Dead Deaf, but if Hearing society have better awareness and able to be easily willing adapt Deaf person's limitation, then I rather experience some hearing knowing that I would get ample support and accomodation when I lose my hearing in later life.

Lots to say on this subject....both have very hard struggles in Life...no doubt about it. And remembering this quote:..."is it better to have Love and loss...or not to have Love at all"??....sometimes, I wonder....but I really don't want to know.....

I would go with being born profoundly deaf if I would not of had the ear infections that I grew up with.

are you looking for deaf pride or are you looking for insight in the hearing world ways?

are you looking for deaf pride or are you looking for insight in the hearing world ways?

Radioman, interesting quesiton.. actually, im interested in seeing how many either born deaf people or late deaf people to reply.

I want hearing people to read this thread and be aware about all of us who are not the same.

Born deaf. Then you get the struggle out of the way and can have a good adulthood.

Radioman, interesting quesiton.. actually, im interested in seeing how many either born deaf people or late deaf people to reply.

I want hearing people to read this thread and be aware about all of us who are not the same.

Well, Frisky Feline, I am a hearing person who read your thread.;) Do you find that all deaf people are lumped into the same group? Obviously, I don't know whether you were born deaf or are late deaf, but do you feel one group is superior to the other?

Well, Frisky Feline, I am a hearing person who read your thread.;) Do you find that all deaf people are lumped into the same group? Obviously, I don't know whether you were born deaf or are late deaf, but do you feel one group is superior to the other?

Cute winking smiley. :aw:

You should read more before trying to jump into this philosophy.

There is quite a divide that sometimes has a hard time remaining civil between born deaf and the late deafened.

Many people just regard late deafened as something completely different.

Cute winking smiley. :aw:

You should read more before trying to jump into this philosophy.

There is quite a divide that sometimes has a hard time remaining civil between born deaf and the late deafened.

Many people just regard late deafened as something completely different.

I'm beginning to think you don't like me very much, Bottesini. Also, I'm not sure I'd categorize you as a "little ray of sunshine" (please note I resisted the urge to insert a winky face). I'm not sure why you seem to be so hostile as I'm only trying to learn about the deaf community.

I'd rather rely on first hand accounts than reading a boring article. I didn't start this thread, and the person who did specifically mentioned wanting it to be read by a hearing person. I just let them know that it had been seen by a hearing person and asked a relevant question.

I am fully aware that the deaf community tends to be rather closed off from the hearing community, however, I did not know about the born deaf vs. late deaf issues.

I like learning new things.

I'm beginning to think you don't like me very much, Bottesini. Also, I'm not sure I'd categorize you as a "little ray of sunshine" (please note I resisted the urge to insert a winky face). I'm not sure why you seem to be so hostile as I'm only trying to learn about the deaf community.

I'd rather rely on first hand accounts than reading a boring article. I didn't start this thread, and the person who did specifically mentioned wanting it to be read by a hearing person. I just let them know that it had been seen by a hearing person and asked a relevant question.

I am fully aware that the deaf community tends to be rather closed off from the hearing community, however, I did not know about the born deaf vs. late deaf issues.

I like learning new things.

As Botti said, it would do you good to just read threads for know and get a feel for things AllDeaf.

As Botti said, it would do you good to just read threads for know and get a feel for things AllDeaf.

Okay, I won't post anymore. But I do want to say one last thing. I have several acquaintances who are deaf, but I am not personally close to any one who is. However, I do have a little sister (she's 21 and I'm 36) who has Down Syndrome. I know it's not the same thing, so bear with me. My point is that being DS sets her apart from "regular" society. And unlike the case with deafness, everyone who sees her immediately knows that she is different.
She's stared at, not necessarily in a negative way, everywhere we go. I catch people listening in on the conversations I have with her, wondering how she can possibly communicate effectively. I fervently wish that these "normal" people would just ask questions. And I am happy to talk to those who do. Having the opportunity to educate previously ignorant people on how amazing my sister is, is an honor. This world needs to be more tolerant of those who don't fit into societies definition of "normal."

So when I asked questions, it came from spending my adult life wishing people would just ask, rather than assume, or base their opinions on what they observed for five minutes in Walmart, or heaven forbid stereotypes they see on tv.

All the best,
Amy

I am late deafened (as most of you know). I think that I would have rather been born deaf, but I am only saying that based on my own philosophy that my only real problem is not really having the tools to live life independently right now and those around me aren't equipped for the situation either. Who knows, maybe in a year or two my answer to this question would be different.

I don't think I would have a preference as to whether I was born profoundly deaf or capable of using hearing aids at birth. My first instinct as someone who grew up in hearing culture would be to say I would want as much hearing as possible, but in all reality it is really just a matter of what culture would I rather be a part of. I love being an American but I couldn't truly say whether I would want to be American vs. English or something like that (not sure if that is a good analogy.)

If I was late deafened (and I am), I would want it to happen as soon as possible. Now, in my early twenties, I can structure my life accordingly, whereas in my 40's I might have to give up a career during the transition.

I would however say that whatever I was born with, I wouldn't want my situation to change. In other words, I wouldn't want to be born capable of using hearing aids, and then lose that ability. That would sort of mirror where I am at right now. Of course this is all speculation, and I am not really sure without experiencing other situations.

I am glad I was born deaf instead of being late deafened.

Every time a 'hearing person' post something or ask a specific question, some of the long time posters here seem to want to throw around the 'read the other threads and learn about AllDeaf before you jump into this topic' or 'can you teach some stupid ferret ASL'. Sorry Botts, but that's a cop out. What happened to teaching people. What happened to trying to get hearing people to understand us without telling them to 'go read some of the old posts'.

I did took some time to read some old topics and believe me as a deaf individual, I was disappointed with what I read. There were some topics that I could relate to, but majority of the other topics were very 'deaf militant'. The post reeks of anger, frustrated, hatred for the hearing world.

Personally you all need to get off your high horses. Because basically you are telling the hearing people in the world you are closed minded selfish people. It's no wonder why hearing people treat deaf people the way they do. Because they get attitude and they think every deaf person is like that.

Sorry I don't live in the 'deaf world', but I grew up and live in the 'hearing oral world'. But I do have some deaf friend who do not speak that gives me a chance to communicate via ASL and don't judge me like other deaf people. They know I can't sign fast and they know it takes me a while, but I can do it given time.

Despite my hearing loss. I struggled to fit in even to this day. I don't fit in with the deaf world, but I really don't fit in with the hearing world. I'm stuck dead in the middle. In a world only I understand. But I make the attempt to teach hearing people what it means to be deaf and how they should treat a deaf person. I never once told them off. Yes it's a struggle and constantly explaining. At least I am trying to teach the hearing people about 'my deaf world'. So they don't get judgmental about other deaf people they come across and they know they don't have to 'scream' at other deaf people to make them understand them.

As a deaf individual. There is not 2 types of deaf people. There are 3.

Those that were born deaf.

Those that lost their hearing as a baby or young age. This is MY world. I lost my to spinal meningitis at 18 months old. I knew how to talk and hear long before I lost my hearing, but I was young enough to adjust because it wasn't a cultural shock.

Then there are those who lost their hearing later in life.

Every time a 'hearing person' post something or ask a specific question, some of the long time posters here seem to want to throw around the 'read the other threads and learn about AllDeaf before you jump into this topic' . Sorry Botts, but that's a cop out. What happened to teaching people. What happened to trying to get hearing people to understand us without telling them to 'go read some of the old posts'.

I used to say exactly what I thought, rather than telling them to look up history here, but it was really upsetting to some members.

So the kinder gentler me prevails.

And ferrets are a good substitute for saying how you really feel about being a zoo animal for the hearing.

I am not sure about saying something... I don't know if my saying is going to mess up with Hearing, Deaf, or both.

Perhaps best left unsaid.

I was born deaf because my mother was sick with the high fever. My mother never knew what cause her to be sick for long time since she was 4 months pregnant until I was born late.

I would rather be profoundly deaf. I was happy being deaf
without hearing aid through my childhood until I was forced to wear hearing aid. Just only my left ear, I have severe hearing loss. My right ear, I have profound hearing loss. I could not use my hearing aid on the right ear. No sound at all.

I had never like going to mainstream schools without Deaf program which would accommodate for me to learn ASL and then would have ASL interpreters back then so that I can understand what is going on in the classroom and to help get better grades.

I was upset with the hearing teachers and principals that we need to have accommodations back in the 1950 and 1960 era. I struggled trying to make head and tail on what is being said. My parents did not fight for me to go into the Deaf school where they have ASL teachers who would help me understand what is being taught in the Deaf classrooms. ASL is suppose to be primary language for the Deaf. But we were forced to do what the hearing people want us to used oral only without ASL. It is like being tied in our hands behind our back or on the lap and felt helpless not being able to communicate with signing instead of talking.

So yes, I would rather be profoundly deaf than to be hearing. That is why I am comfortable being involve in the Deaf Communities. I was happy and I love it.

Well I was deafened really early, sometime after birth up until 3 months, anyway that is a hard question! Even though I've been severely/profoundly deaf all my life and have a hearing twin and older brother I have always wish I have had some experience of hearing unaided and I always wanted to go to the same schools as my sister which never happened, anyway I am sure I would have hated it if I was Late Deafened, just imagine having hearing most of your life then having it taken away from you :/

I like being deaf so much I don't wear my CI, only my HA but the struggle is still annoying. All my family members are hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back