Treat Deaf babies with Cochlear Implants

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem here is, most of these ones who oppose the cochlear implants are not educated enough to express their opinions on the technology without making factual errors.

I'm not naming names.

Liebling:-))) said:
18? Who says that?
Ages make no difference as long as they DECIDE themselves either they want or not. The children has the same feeling as the adults.
Example:
My 8 years old son have floppy ears. He rejected my suggestion for have an operation before he goes his first school at 2 years ago. He has the FEELING when he was 6 years old! I brought those subject again & explain why at few weeks ago with the doctors recommend but his answer stay is: No! I respect his wish.
I respect your decision but I feel sorry for babies & small children because they can't defend themselves against their parents. The parents can do what they want because they know the babies/small children can't say no. What a sad.
I know for the sure that they will end to hate their parents for that when they learn that they were Deaf & also being pull by their parents into hearing world. Most I know are disgust against their parents. I don´t blame them.
The children without CI CAN learn to speak if they are WILLING do it.
The interpreter for the deaf told me the story what it put her off when she saw only 3 of 25 CI children at classroom are willing to learn speak or hear so she brought her 8 years old deaf son to meet CI children. It also put him off, too. She believes that it helps only if you are willing to learn to speak & hear. True because I also saw them myself.
Look at my friend wore hearing aid when she was 6 months old. She can speak like hard-hearing... She CAN choose to have CI if she really want to BUT she is happy with hearing aid.
I beleive the CI is suitable for people who lost their hearing or HOH to deaf.
I beleive the CI is suitable for deaf children to adults who are WILLING to learn to speak or hear or really want it.

I feel cry when I saw CI on their small head. My son tried to speak back of CI children but they can't hear him so he tried again to speak front of them but they do if they don't understand them, then they understand right way when my son use sign language & play with him. I feel cry when I watch my sons play together with CI children. As you see that they don't want to learn to speak or hear.

I agree with you.. The child has the right to make changes in their hearing process if they want to have a CI .. But Parents acting like discriminated cuz their baby was born deaf and then says i want my baby to hear and be in the hearing world. Does that make u feel right? U accept what u have and what u get! if the baby is born deaf then find a school that would provide the help they need not changing them into someone that the Parents want them to be. Speech has nothing to do with having A CI.. I talk very well like a hearing person and I do not have a CI.

Banjo, don't think we have the right to place our opinions cuz we don't have the educated to experiences CI?

Last edited:
Hey, babies and children cannot have this CI operation against their parent's decision until they are 18, old enough to make their own!!! They can have this operation young as long as it met with their parent's approval.

Think about, what about babies born with cleft hip (harelip), boys need cirumstance operation for jewish religions, do they object their parent's decision, come on!!! These babies won't remember a thing about surgery!!

Also I saw some deaf children born with no ears, they had false ear drums and so on, parents think what is best for them.

I am thankful my daughters they are born hearing, and my question out of curious, I asked them "Do you wish to born deaf like me?" They scream at me "NNNNNNoooooooo" We deaf people don't know what is like being hearing, so I believe it is wonderful to live with.

It's doctor responsible to discuss the advantage and disadvantage of having the CI to make sure the parents are FULLY aware what its all about. Doctor are not allow to share his/her feelings with patients!!

Cheri said:
Banjo, don't think we have the right to place our opinions cuz we don't have the educated to experiences CI?

I knew this was coming.

Like it or not, but you need to do some research on cochlear implants before making yourself look bad.

Plus, not everybody believe in God. So, it's not really up to God to decide the fate of cochlear implants.

It is very obvious that you have not done your homework on cochlear implants. You must feel that you are qualified to sway other people's decisions on implanting children when you in fact, has made so many factual errors that I've lost count.

I may seem harsh, but that is the NAKED truth. If you take my advice and do your research, you'll benefit from it, trust me on this one.

You don't need to experience cochlear implants, you just need to enlighten yourself on it.

Frankly, I agree with RedRum's comment. It's parents' and they do what they want to give the best for children's future. But, sometime, there is the wrong foot, then we could knew that parents' aren't wise to give a treatment or not.

Maybe the parents being afraid about being fit part of deaf community. Maybe, it's bad infulence from other part deaf group who made bad example of role. So that could lead the parents think that CI could help their children to learn better and speaking more. Maybe it's from the god's signaler or whatever. It's parent's fate as long as they are use wise.

Banjo said:
I knew this was coming.

Like it or not, but you need to do some research on cochlear implants before making yourself look bad.

Plus, not everybody believe in God. So, it's not really up to God to decide the fate of cochlear implants.

It is very obvious that you have not done your homework on cochlear implants. You must feel that you are qualified to sway other people's decisions on implanting children when you in fact, has made so many factual errors that I've lost count.

I may seem harsh, but that is the NAKED truth. If you take my advice and do your research, you'll benefit from it, trust me on this one.

You don't need to experience cochlear implants, you just need to enlighten yourself on it.

I have friends who have Ci and some of them complains how they end up with infection and other problems since growing up they did also had Ci since they were babies. Some of them wishes that their parent never did that when they were babies. Some Of my friends with Ci do not have problems like the rest of my other friends. And Just because I believed that The Child should be old enough to make their Choice because they are the one growing up with it and stuck with it for the rest of their lives. If I am the one looking bad how come most others agree with that process?

Cheri said:
I have friends who have Ci and some of them complains how they end up with infection and other problems since growing up they did also had Ci since they were babies. Some of them wishes that their parent never did that when they were babies. Some Of my friends with Ci do not have problems like the rest of my other friends. And Just because I believed that The Child should be old enough to make their Choice because they are the one growing up with it and stuck with it for the rest of their lives. If I am the one looking bad how come most others agree with that process?

Here's the hard truth.

I don't believe you.

Hearsay is a very flawed tactic used in many debates.

Why?

Because a large percentage of hearsay claims are false or filled with factual errors. I absolutely don't care for hearsay claims because they can be very misleading and untrue. I imagine the MAJORITY of the hearsay claims I've heard had errors in it.

Here's another fact, there has been a lot of advancements made in the past two decades, especially the last one.

If these "friends" of yours got implanted back in the 70s and 80s, then that's a whole different story.

Comparing a cochlear implant from the 70s to the today's cochlear implant is like comparing a black and white TV with bad reception to a HDTV with satellite dish installed giving it an amazing reception!

Banjo said:
The problem here is, most of these ones who oppose the cochlear implants are not educated enough to express their opinions on the technology without making factual errors.

I'm not naming names.

Sorry, but I disagree with you there Banjo ....

I don't have to be educated enough to express my opinion on CI ....It is what I believe in....

I also believe that every one of us has the right to express our opinions on CI even though we may or may not have enough education on CI...but, some of us do have children and what it would feel for ourselves as a ' Parent ' and whatever a child when he/she is old enough to comprehend decisions of their own with the guidance of their parent(s)... :D

However anyone may come across with anyone's opinion regarding CI, what I do already know up to now doesn't mean I'm an expert...there is so much useful information about CI that hasn't even been discovered yet and this new advancement in technology has not only stirred up so much controversial debates, but it also has brought wonderful results for those who have chosen to have it...I do know and am fully aware that there are cases out there that some people didn't have much success much less had serious side effects from CI...so it is safe to say that CI isn't for everyone...For example: take a device that requires batteries, some devices will NOT work with regular batteries, but to use alkaline...as we know, using a wrong kind can cause problems or warrant the device unuseable and broken...in other words, CI may or may not be for everyone...It's more of each person who may have the desires to have a CI done do as much research as possible for their sake...just like whether or not to have surgery, or is it neccessary to have it and what would the side effects that might occur...speaking of surgeries, I am implying on the kinds that aren't life threatening, etc....

Therefore, with this in mind, I do believe strongly that when a child is old enough and capable of making a decision of having a CI on their own...the younger a child is, with the encouragement and guidance of a parent providing helpful information in deriving at a decision which I do also believe in as well...the older the child is...like in their teenage years...whereas they are more capable of comprehending and researching the information regarding CI's and they do want to have this done, then with the support and permission of the parent(s)...(who has the $$? :cool: ), I also believe with this concept as well... :)

FYI...The only factual errors we can make is ignorance to the advancements of this technology and not at least know anything about it whatsoever... :cool:

Cheri said:

Do you want to know why I do not support CI? I know and accept that CI have improved in technology and less scarring behind the ears. That's great for those advances! If you want CIs done or wear it faithfully, good for you! And keep in mind I don't have a problem with it! However, I have had more than several Pro-CI people come up to me and tell me I am "not good enough" or "not smart enough" because I don't wear CIs, despite the fact went to a better school than they did and that I can speak BETTER than they can! It totally turned me off.. It looks like people who have CIs and uses it often ends up acting like having a CI is a badge of honor that makes them holier than others who do not have them. That's the main reason I do not want to discuss CIs with other people because it is an egomaniac thing, not a cultural or medical thing!

I have spoken my piece and you can have the soapbox.

Modern CI is much DIFFERENT and improve than old CI you been know about these are pretty lack and several bad report!

I have several friends who happen to have new CI and they are doing so fine for almost 3 years. they are still in health and stronge.

^Angel^ said:
Sorry, but I disagree with you there Banjo ....

I don't have to be educated enough to express my opinion on CI ....It is what I believe in....

I also believe that every one of us has the right to express our opinions on CI even though we may or may not have enough education on CI...but, some of us do have children and what it would feel for ourselves as a ' Parent ' and whatever a child when he/she is old enough to comprehend decisions of their own with the guidance of their parent(s)... :D

If you want people to take your opinions in consideration, you should at least do some research first which is something you haven't done yet.

FYI...The only factual errors we can make is ignorance to the advancements of this technology and not at least know anything about it whatsoever

Look who's talking!

Facts come first, not beliefs.

Deaf258 said:
That's the main reason I do not want to discuss CIs with other people because it is an egomaniac thing, not a cultural or medical thing!
I have spoken my piece and you can have the soapbox.

Me too Deaf258....I voiced my opinion and what I believe in......no need to go on and on :dizzy: ...I still stand for what I believe in...Like I have always say I respect each and every one of their opinion.... :D

*pushing soapbox to Cheri*

Banjo said:
If you want people to take your opinions in consideration, you should at least do some research first which is something you haven't done yet.

People can agree or disagree with me all they please to...And besides my research is my own as you have yours so give me the courtesy for what I believe in..... :wiggle:

^Angel^ said:
People can agree or disagree with me all they please to...And besides my research is my own as you have yours so give me the courtesy for what I believe in..... :wiggle:

Only the problem is, I've done my research and you haven't. You can't base your research on the back of your cereal boxes.

Deaf258 said:
Do you want to know why I do not support CI? I know and accept that CI have improved in technology and less scarring behind the ears. That's great for those advances! If you want CIs done or wear it faithfully, good for you! And keep in mind I don't have a problem with it! However, I have had more than several Pro-CI people come up to me and tell me I am "not good enough" or "not smart enough" because I don't wear CIs, despite the fact went to a better school than they did and that I can speak BETTER than they can! It totally turned me off.. It looks like people who have CIs and uses it often ends up acting like having a CI is a badge of honor that makes them holier than others who do not have them. That's the main reason I do not want to discuss CIs with other people because it is an egomaniac thing, not a cultural or medical thing!

Amen Deaf258 u just hit it right on the nail.....

I don't discuss CI's that much either.......It's like walking on a live wire and keeping the balance. and I am NOT a hearing wanna-be. I am just who I am. The CI controversy has been raging on for many years and it will never end.

However I have to say something. My daughter has a scar behind her right ear from the surgery to insert a "shunt tube" to relieve her hydrocephlaus (water in brain) when she was only 2 weeks old. Trust me the scar does look like the typical CI surgery scar. Even the location is the same for a CI. It does not mean she has a CI.

Cheri said:
I know how you feel. I have a lot of friends who do one of three things
  • Stop wearing them
  • Continue wearing them (still stay true to themselves)
  • Continue wearing them (become snobby like they are hearing and stop signing
It's sad to see them changing their ways because of some implants.

Geeeeeze, isn't this absurd or :crazy: ??? *wondering*...where the heck do you derive at the point of acclaiming such things by doing 'research' yourself and NOT giving others the benefit of believing that others do not do ANY research...in other words...*judge not or be judged yourself!* *shaking my head*...apparently you know who you are that I speak of....and also, I must say that for those who 'believes' in something...or 'stand by', etc....how can anyone believe in anything without having certain experiences, feedback from others, knowing a thing or two...whether or not it's extensive...thereby saying that those who believes, they gotten facts however miminal or extensive that they obtain it!!

It's so disrespectful to belittle others by indicating that they haven't done their research...at least give them the 'courtesy' to uphold in the things they DO believe in!!

Furthermore, I do have a very good friend that recently underwent having CI done...and this person is truly happier and so far, everything has been going quite well in terms of hearing, health, etc. This person hasn't suffered any complications from this procedure. I do know that CI isn't for everyone and some have had implications and side effects from this, yet, not everyone suffered from having this procedure done. Regardless of how much research has been done, there IS that much more research that hasn't been discovered yet. Whether you get the facts or simply believe what other CI's users have expressed or shared, the thing of it is to be able to respect the decisions for those who choose to have it or not have it...isn't that NOT a hard thing to do???

*stepping off the soapbox* :smash:

The one thing most people seem to forget is that as "Parents" we make decisions for our children every day about schools they attend, what they eat, who they visit, medical decisions with dental or if they require to visit a doctor etc. With CI. its the same. Our decision influences our children!!! All the decisions we make are in the best interests of our children and our childrens future and you would not base these decisions on hearsay, you would learn the facts. There seems to be much anger and confusion in the deaf community re CI. Is it because they fear there children will be different from them? The age of the child should not be to young, I agree but leaving it until they are too old could also cause problems. A reasonable decision needs to be made and this is once again, up to the parents.

Parents always do what they think is best!!!

I wish I had the chance for operation, however when I applied they told me I couldn't because I had been deaf all my life and there would be too many years of learning!!!

Parents think it is the best because the Doctors and insurance companies tell them so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back