Translation

Famath

Reaction score
Hi everybody

My name is Math, I'm a hearing person and a French professional translator, I do mostly subtitles for English-speaking movies that will air on French TV.

I've just finished translating a movie that is mostly in American English... But one of the characters is deaf and briefly uses ASL (for 5 seconds). Unfortunately, I don't have any translation in English for it on my script nor do I understand ASL, I'm sorry to say.

Forgive me for barging in on this board, but I've looked everywhere on the web to find someone who would be kind enough to tell me what the character says (in English of course) in this scene. I have a 7 second clip (mp4) of the scene I can email anyone (or post and share on Google Drive, for example). It seems to be a very basic sentence.

Here's a capture of the scene, but of course you need the clip to see the whole thing.

ASL.JPG

I would be extremely grateful if anyone here could help me. And please forgive me again for 'crashing' this board.
Thank you for your attention.

Have a good day everyone

Math

Hello Old Analog

I'm very sorry you feel that way. Believe me, it's not a scam or a hoax or anything like that. I do look for someone who could help me with that scene, and there's absolutely no money involved. As I said, I can email the clip to anyone (or send it via WeTransfer ou FileMail) or post it on Google Drive and share it, for example. It's a very short clip (7 seconds). I tried uploading it here, but it doesn't work.
I came here because I live in Paris, France, and I don't know anybody who understands ASL, unfortunately.
If you guys have other suggestions that might help, I'll be glad to hear them!

Thanks again

I managed to post it on Goole Drive, here's the link to the 7 second clip for those who would like to help. The movie is called "One of these days".
Thank you again

Post it here and I will tell you what it says if it is clear enough....this way, we can get consensus and you get closure and carry on...

Ok ? You sure has to do with anything, if ASL the wave attention, then new ( right hand swops through left palm) now ? switches to non dominant hand, OK, has cane on right may be why, first thought was maybe blind can but no, I'm no translator but my take would be ,new ok? Is he ordering a drink? How does it for into the story?

Could be all but not the way I sign all, as in all ok, the removal of the right hand quickly leans me to new, need more context?

Hello again. Thank you guys.
Here's more context : It take place in a small town in Texas, during an annual endurance contest to win a pickup truck. The young guy in the foreground is trying to win (he has to keep his hand on the truck at all times), and his deaf friend comes by to see how he's doing, I guess.
So "Hey, everything okay?" could be it.

I was not able to access the clip and asked that it be brought here.....what gives?

Yeah, he just asked if everything was okay....and one of the other guys nodded in the affirmative...

:applause: :h5:yeah Ellie good job, context makes it more clear, ok now for a real challenge, know any speech therapist, Ellie? Or good lip readers, general chat July 22,2020 wondering if I can get a hand, don't let my post through you, give it your best shot:hmm:

:applause: :h5:yeah Ellie good job, context makes it more clear, ok now for a real challenge, know any speech therapist, Ellie? Or good lip readers, general chat July 22,2020 wondering if I can get a hand, don't let my post through you, give it your best shot:hmm:
I don't know any speech therapists or lip readers; sorry Analog.

Back