transgender interpreters

annemchamp

Reaction score
Hi my name is Anne and I am a transgendered, soon to bhe nationally certified interpreter. i was just wondering what everyone opinions is on my situation.

Congratulations on your certification. :applause:

As someone who uses interpreters, I wouldn't have any problem with it. Your personal life is yours, it wouldn't even cross my mind to judge you.

I've had interpreters who have had issues working in my undergraduate classes because of nude models (I was an art student and it made them uncomfortable due to their faith). I have also requested not to work with an interpreter because she was weirdly chatty. Neither them turning down my jobs nor me turning down their service was a problem. If a client has an issue with your choices I believe they could discretely ask for someone else. I wouldn't anticipate it though as long as you are a professional.

The way I see it.... You're a terp. That's it, period. The fact that you're transgender has nothing to do with me or the job you're performing. Your personal choices are your own. :dunno2: Congratz on your soon to be certification.

I'd be more than happy to have you as my interpreter, but my ASL stinks (Under used) and I'm biased for my fellow trans. :)

In all my years of interpreting, there was never brought up the interpreter's or client's sexual orientation, marital status, gender ID, etc. It's no one's business and I don't know how it would legitimately be brought up during an assignment.

It's no more "right" to demand a trans terp than it is to demand not to have a trans terp.

The only exception I can think of would be if the assignment involved a religious activity where it might be an issue. But even then, I've never heard of terps being requested by sexual category, other than male/female for sensitive medical appointments.

Normally, people make preferences for certification levels, ASL/PSE/SEE use, or specialty, such as educational, medical, legal.

In all my years of interpreting, there was never brought up the interpreter's or client's sexual orientation, marital status, gender ID, etc. It's no one's business and I don't know how it would legitimately be brought up during an assignment.

It's no more "right" to demand a trans terp than it is to demand not to have a trans terp.

The only exception I can think of would be if the assignment involved a religious activity where it might be an issue. But even then, I've never heard of terps being requested by sexual category, other than male/female for sensitive medical appointments.

Normally, people make preferences for certification levels, ASL/PSE/SEE use, or specialty, such as educational, medical, legal.

Yes, I agree with you and I don't pick an interpreter based on sexual orientation or gender. I want excellent ASL interpreter, that all I care and it is obviously fine with me if I have an excellent interpreter who oppose gay marriage and it is important to respect their belief. Based on my experience, it is rare to have an interpreter that oppose gay marriage in Alabama, despite about being conservative state and deaf people are usually moderate to liberal.

I will be in English course with strongly religious interpreter and she supports gay marriage because she has lesbian sister that live in NC, and she is very involved with deaf church in Montgomery. It was my request to have her because her ASL skill is excellent.

I'm in somewhat the same boat, but I'm still a year or so away from graduating my ITP. Still, I'm open about being transgendered and I don't think I've ever come across any Deaf person who had an issue with it. I think that interpreting has always been about your skill in conveying an equal message, not the person behind it.

~ Audrey Arndt, hearing, ITP student

I as somebody who is in fact trans would be more comfortable with using you as a terp becasue of your understadning of the issues I face and congragulations on your certificate.

Congrats on getting your certification. No issues here

OP was only here for a day 7 months ago.

I doubt if they care what we think.

Was an interesting question though. I wouldnt have cared Just be my gender at doctor appointments thats all I ask .

Be accurate would be my concern, the sexuality, race, religion, should just be a private matter for the interpreter.

Be accurate would be my concern, the sexuality, race, religion, should just be a private matter for the interpreter.

Unless the interpreter is flagrant about his or her sexuality and does pole dancing shows in the dr offices?

Back