Transferring to Gally?

murderegina

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've posted! however, I am back!

....with a question for all you:wave:

So, I am attending college in Boston where I live and my major is psychology. My ultimate goal would be to have a degree in Deaf Studies and ASL and eventually go on to be an interpreter. So why aren't I doing that now? My school doesn't have any studies relating to ASL or Deaf culture at all. Only two schools in Boston do. So I've decided after this year, I want to transfer to Gallaudet. This fall I will be continuing my freshman year studies, so I wouldn't be transferring too late into school would I?

I would doing my pre-reqs, but I wouldn't be having any ASL. Is this even worth it? It's too late to apply there, and they've already begun their 5 week integration. What would be the ideal way to approach this problem?

Thank you in advance!

I'd apply ASAP to Gallaudet for next semester (Spring). It's DEFINITELY not too late to transfer, because I'm transferring schools after my 2nd year of college when I already have junior and some senior level credits.

Talk to a counselor first, because they know better than me, but they can tell you what you should do. I wouldn't worry too much about it being "late" anyway, because there's all kinds of scholarships Gallaudet has to offer, and if it's free or really cheap, who cares if it takes another semester or two?

It's good that you'd be getting pre-reqs out of the way, so that's not even a concern. That'd transfer over and you'd have less classes to take at Gallaudet.

Thank you so much! Are you transferring to Gallaudet?

I was thinking I needed to be present for the 5 week immersion though. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews and I want to be sure I dont need to rely on oral communication. If I attended in spring, I wouldn't have this opportunity. What do you think?

Also, is there a better chance of being accepted at a graduate program for Deaf studies if one is a graduate of Gallaudet, being a Deaf school and all?

Have you spoken with a counselor in the admissions office at Gallaudet? Those are good questions, and surely the counselor would be the expert in giving you the right answers.

Thank you so much! Are you transferring to Gallaudet?

I was thinking I needed to be present for the 5 week immersion though. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews and I want to be sure I dont need to rely on oral communication. If I attended in spring, I wouldn't have this opportunity. What do you think?

Also, is there a better chance of being accepted at a graduate program for Deaf studies if one is a graduate of Gallaudet, being a Deaf school and all?

I sure am! Buff and blue! <3

Oooh, how much can you sign? I grew up totally mainstreamed and oral, but I've learned ASL in the past year and I'm skipping the New Signers program because I don't think I need it. My friends who are Gally graduates said I know enough that I'd be bored in the NSP. I'm guessing you're hearing because I think you mentioned the interpreting program, so if you don't sign at all, you'll definitely have a hard time getting into Gallaudet. I think they want HUGs to sign, but you could talk to a counselor and find out. If you can sign at least a minimal amount, you could always start with an interpreter and then drop it once you think you can figure it out. I did the opposite--had captioning in class at my mainstream university and then started with an interpreter once I thought I could handle it. I totally understand not wanting to just rely on a terp though.

There probably is a BETTER chance of getting accepted into a Deaf studies program if you graduate from Gallaudet, but it doesn't mean your chances are eliminated if you don't go there. For a program like that, going to Gallaudet just shows you've had that experience of being around the Deaf and know the culture.

I sure am! Buff and blue! <3

Oooh, how much can you sign? I grew up totally mainstreamed and oral, but I've learned ASL in the past year and I'm skipping the New Signers program because I don't think I need it. My friends who are Gally graduates said I know enough that I'd be bored in the NSP. I'm guessing you're hearing because I think you mentioned the interpreting program, so if you don't sign at all, you'll definitely have a hard time getting into Gallaudet. I think they want HUGs to sign, but you could talk to a counselor and find out. If you can sign at least a minimal amount, you could always start with an interpreter and then drop it once you think you can figure it out. I did the opposite--had captioning in class at my mainstream university and then started with an interpreter once I thought I could handle it. I totally understand not wanting to just rely on a terp though.

There probably is a BETTER chance of getting accepted into a Deaf studies program if you graduate from Gallaudet, but it doesn't mean your chances are eliminated if you don't go there. For a program like that, going to Gallaudet just shows you've had that experience of being around the Deaf and know the culture.

Ahhh, thats what I suspected. My mom was mainstreamed and oral too. However, she began learning ASL not too long ago, so I have been exposed. How beginner is the New Signers program? By the sounds of it, I may be too advanced for that if you managed to sign up ASL in the past year? How proficient should one be?

Thank you for your answers, they really are so helpful!

Well, no offense...my cousin was murdered when she was three and half...and her name was...well, I'm sure you can guess it. Kind of freaked me out. But to each her own.

Good luck with your decision about college. Hope it all works out for you.

Oh my gosh. I feel so rude. I am so sorry :( Is there a way I could alter my username, perhaps? I never thought of it as so vile before.

and thank you.

Ahhh, thats what I suspected. My mom was mainstreamed and oral too. However, she began learning ASL not too long ago, so I have been exposed. How beginner is the New Signers program? By the sounds of it, I may be too advanced for that if you managed to sign up ASL in the past year? How proficient should one be?

Thank you for your answers, they really are so helpful!

Ohh, you're a CODA! Cool! The New Signers Program, from what I understand, is REALLY beginner. Example here: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-J5hhUhWi0]‪JumpStart 2010‬&rlm; - YouTube[/ame] . Obviously it's a long, intensive program, so it does go through more useful, conversational ASL. To give you an idea of what my ASL is like, I'm definitely not fluent but I can hold a conversation. My ASL grammar is far from perfect, but people can understand me clearly. I fingerspell the signs I don't know, and nobody seems to mind. I'm skipping the program.

As far as proficiency, it's not required to do the NSP if you don't feel like you need it. They have an ASL proficiency test you have to complete anyway, so that will help determine if you need to do NSP. I didn't have to take the test, instead I visited my admissions counselor, and she determined through our appointment that my signing was proficient enough. You could do that if you visit Gally. Otherwise, the test will be required to make sure. If you aren't fluent, they'll put you in ASL classes--even if you did NSP. So don't worry too much!

Ohh, you're a CODA! Cool! The New Signers Program, from what I understand, is REALLY beginner. Example here: ‪JumpStart 2010‬&rlm; - YouTube . Obviously it's a long, intensive program, so it does go through more useful, conversational ASL. To give you an idea of what my ASL is like, I'm definitely not fluent but I can hold a conversation. My ASL grammar is far from perfect, but people can understand me clearly. I fingerspell the signs I don't know, and nobody seems to mind. I'm skipping the program.

As far as proficiency, it's not required to do the NSP if you don't feel like you need it. They have an ASL proficiency test you have to complete anyway, so that will help determine if you need to do NSP. I didn't have to take the test, instead I visited my admissions counselor, and she determined through our appointment that my signing was proficient enough. You could do that if you visit Gally. Otherwise, the test will be required to make sure. If you aren't fluent, they'll put you in ASL classes--even if you did NSP. So don't worry too much!

That is a great piece of video clip.

I think the woman in navy blue was originally a NSPer, and now she has been employed there. :)

I hope you're all right. Thank you so much. I guess its just as overwhelming for me to be completely immersed in a world where I am unsure if I'll be able to communicate and be understood.

I've heard such mixed reviews about Gallaudet from both hearing and Deaf, and the ones I trust, love it. But other sources have planted a seed of doubt in me that many of the Deaf don't appreciate hearies going there to learn ASL. I just dont want to impose or be rude, but I am so passionate about the culture and language.

Hope this doesn't derail the thread... :)

RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) also has an interpreting program. 10% of the students in RIT are deaf. So, you would be getting experience from both worlds if you went there. :)

I hope you're all right. Thank you so much. I guess its just as overwhelming for me to be completely immersed in a world where I am unsure if I'll be able to communicate and be understood.

I've heard such mixed reviews about Gallaudet from both hearing and Deaf, and the ones I trust, love it. But other sources have planted a seed of doubt in me that many of the Deaf don't appreciate hearies going there to learn ASL. I just dont want to impose or be rude, but I am so passionate about the culture and language.

Sorry I'm stalking your thread! I've made a bunch of friends so far from Gallaudet, and guess what? A BUNCH of them are currently at JumpStart NSP. Tons of them were mainstreamed and oral, so they don't know much sign at all, if any. You wouldn't be alone in learning ASL. I was worried I would be overwhelmed too, but I know so many people like me now, I'm feeling more comfortable.

I used to feel just like you, and I wanted to go to RIT instead. The majority of my deaf friends went to Gallaudet, and some of them had transferred from
RIT. Don't let the minority of rude deafies discourage you from accomplishing your dream. The only time they rightfully have a problem with a hearing person there is if that hearing person has an attitude of "better than you." If you love the culture and language, and you don't think you're better than us, I'm sure you'd be welcomed.

Back