Transcribing Voice Recorder for Captioning Services

Chimajo

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I have used a voice recorder on my phone for recording conversations. However, there is no interpreter, I have a hard time to hear what my family members or friends in a group say. Are captioning services able to get records and transcribe them? Thank you for reading this post.

Hello, everyone. I have used a voice recorder on my phone for recording conversations. However, there is no interpreter, I have a hard time to hear what my family members or friends in a group say. Are captioning services able to get records and transcribe them? Thank you for reading this post.

Chimajo,

Maybe a captioned telephone is what you need.

I've heard of 3 brand names: CapTel,Caption Call,Ensemble.

I own a CapTel 840I and love it! Its disadvantages are that the answering machine doesn't keep good time (I lose 1-2minutes every 3 days.) and the caller id only gives the name and time of call.

The caller id problem is a known issue with CapTel phones. They even sent me an Emerson caller id unit to correct this problem. Unfortunately, they try to bs you by saying that the CapTel's caller id info depends on whatever deal your incoming callers have worked out with the phone company. (?) Hell,ALL other telephones in my house give FULL caller id:
name,phone number,and time of call.

CapTel phones have fully customizable captioning and background colors. Right now,I use black background with green captions.

The new CapTel 2400I allows you to back up your "phone book" to your computer.

Both the CapTel840I and 2400I require high speed internet connection. Even though my CapTel is only 2 feet from my router,I have to use the ethernet cable (included with phone) to get more consistent captioning.

Some people are able to get a CapTel phone free of charge from their state's office of deaf/hoh services. Even if you have to pay,the CapTel 840I
is available for $99! (It's a 500 or 600 dollar phone.)

Google up these phones! I hope you find something that you like

It can't be used to record a group conversation. Although, if the software could handle that then I would use it. Instead, if you are not sure you heard something, from a particular person, and need it transcribed, use voice input on your smart phone. I use this sometimes in larger groups. I can't use it for general conversation, but to clarify what someone says it usually works. They talk into the phone and it is transcribed into writing. I believe this is what you are referring to?

There are laws regarding recording phone calls that you should be aware of. I am not a lawyer and can't advise you on this.

Check out the laws for your jurisdiction. Recording Phone Calls and Conversations | Digital Media Law Project

If you are trying to participate in conversations, use a relay service. Those are legal and comply with laws. It may not be perfect but it is legal.

Basically, there is a legal grey area/it can be illegal to record conversations without the express permission of all involved.

There are laws regarding recording phone calls that you should be aware of. I am not a lawyer and can't advise you on this.

Check out the laws for your jurisdiction. Recording Phone Calls and Conversations | Digital Media Law Project

If you are trying to participate in conversations, use a relay service. Those are legal and comply with laws. It may not be perfect but it is legal.

Basically, there is a legal grey area/it can be illegal to record conversations without the express permission of all involved.

Thank you for the information. I do not know that. It is even more complex than I thought. I wonder if I can record personal conversations.

Is Purple Communications a relay service? Does it accept a voice recorder for recording conversations?

It has to be a legal relay service call to use relay service. You can't go into a movie theater and use relay to caption a movie, it's illegal use of the service. On the other hand, a business conference call is legal. A group conversation, "might" also be legal.

The bigger problem isn't wire tapping(Although you should let people know you are recording), it's use of the relay service itself.

Also, the relay operator can only do so much continuous time(they need a break).

Last edited:
Back