Traded - One Problem for Another?

Jane B.

Reaction score
I have just read another story about a youngster left in the back seat of a car. It seems like I am reading about this much more often than I ever did about what happened to kids riding in the front seat. Have we traded one problem for another with much more danger now?

I am old enough that the normal way to use a car has changed a lot. If everyone fit on the front seat that was the preferred way. Then add front lap belts; then lap belts for all seats followed by the inclusion of shoulder belts with how many on what seat determined by the number of belts. Not sure when safety seats for infants first appeared as well as booster seats. Now the way to do things is for youngsters from babies in car seats to kids up to a given age to be in the back seat.

Do you feel that kids actually in more danger now?

That's a good question. when I was growing up i didn't have any of those things and I turned out just fine. I think there are more danger of people with the technology i.e. cellphones we have and the drinking and driving plus people just don't pay attention to the road anymore. It seems that this generation lacking respect for rules on the road and behind the wheel.

The reason that that people under 110LBs to be kept in the back (not just kids alone) is because of the force that the passenger's air bag.

Whereas the back it doesn't have a FRONT air bag. Newer models will include some air bags in the back but those are ejected from the sides but not the FRONT.

If the car seat and booster seat are used correctly no I don't think there's less of a danger.
The way media and social media is today- all news is 'instantaneous' so it SEEMS like it's worse now than before. I somehow wouldn't be surprised if parents STILL left their kids in the car on a hot day, front or back seat and the child died (or wound up with brain damage).

Today there's so much more "multitasking" that may be (or is?) a factor in why a kid is left in the car.

One interesting question some of my friends wondered about.... Why does it seem like it only happens in HOT weather? Why aren't there any kids "accidentally left" in the car in the WINTER time with the freezing temperatures who die?

one article- https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-unlovin-oven/

a little old (10 years ago at least) but worth reading. Scroll down to Duck Duck Goose's post- interesting explanation. Then to the last post on the page.
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=480965

If the car seat and booster seat are used correctly no I don't think there's less of a danger.
The way media and social media is today- all news is 'instantaneous' so it SEEMS like it's worse now than before. I somehow wouldn't be surprised if parents STILL left their kids in the car on a hot day, front or back seat and the child died (or wound up with brain damage).

Today there's so much more "multitasking" that may be (or is?) a factor in why a kid is left in the car.

One interesting question some of my friends wondered about.... Why does it seem like it only happens in HOT weather? Why aren't there any kids "accidentally left" in the car in the WINTER time with the freezing temperatures who die?

one article- https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-unlovin-oven/

a little old (10 years ago at least) but worth reading. Scroll down to Duck Duck Goose's post- interesting explanation. Then to the last post on the page.
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=480965

Isn't it harder to miss someone beside you than behind you?

In the real winter temps. most people, regardless of age, are wrapped up for the trip between buildings and the vehicle. The heater is usually on and keeps things somewhat warmer even after being turned off. The sun on the windows that is such a problem in the summer actually helps in the winter by warming things up. I have a feeling that it does at times present a problem but rarely and is thus not so easily caught by news and internet postings.

Isn't it harder to miss someone beside you than behind you?

Maybe but you'd be surprised I bet. Parents or whoever the caretaker is do get distracted easily. OR as noted in one of the articles... the adult may have decided to "let the child sleep" then... forgot.

As for the other, true that people are more aware (as noted in the forum thread I posted and read above) of cold than they are of heat. It's possible to die from both extremes but more so of heat as there's no defense for it. I wondered as I'd think there's a possibility of overheating inside a layered outfit :hmm:. The bigger danger with the winter angle is...being bundled up too much to the point of suffocation. Adult forget that adult bodies and children/baby bodies handle temperature differently plus babies can't take action like unlocking the car door.

Interestingly I've read recently too that it's advised not to bundle the baby up so much and place in car seat. I've forgotten why - gotta google it.

The whole phenomenon is puzzling to some of us because as parents our connection to our children was like steel. We never forgot where they were. Of course the way media works now, hearing about infant deaths is kind of a "thing". Click bait. Still, I conclude that many parents are NOT like I was and their connection is dim and easily interrupted. People are different from one another.

I get bit disgusted that toddler deaths, or fetal death for that matter, are seen as way more important that other deaths. They are not.

Back