Top 10 Reasons for Learning Sign Language

U can communicate in different cars! I love that about sign language..LOL!

I love it, too! really comes in handy when you're on a multi-car road trip and someone needs a bathroom break. everyone moves over to the window and makes the toilet sign. or maybe gives their order for a mcdonalds drive thru or something haha.

one of the best aspects of sign, as hearing/HoH/ci-borgs will appreciate, is that it's silent.

Hi,
i want to add to this.
1. you can communicate in noisy places.
2. you can communicate silently in places like hospitals.

telling a joke that hearing can't understand lol
or talking about them without them knowing what is talked about lmao on the subway...

I used to live in an area where there were a lot of Japanese. Strangely, they were speaking English until my sister and I got near them, then would start speaking Japanese. So I took a few years of Japanese classes so I could understand what they were saying when they thought we couldn't understand them.

I refuse to make the assumption that somebody doesn't understand a certain language. I found it extremely rude. At first, I thought hearing people are being rude by talking in front of me when they know I'm deaf, but now I realise they don't know any better.

U can communicate in different cars! I love that about sign language..LOL!

My sister and I do this all the time!!

I will have to make sure I don't drive near you :giggle:

We aren't the ones driving when we do this.

You can statements about people you know in sign that they cannot understand and likely never will. You can be truthful and blunt without getting your ass kicked.

You can have a 'private' conversation in public places as long as there are no other fluent signers around.

It can be way to teach others about Deaf culture if they see you signing in public.

sometimes you just cant describe something in words and you need a visual aid.

Nice. I really need to learn sign language.

Another great reason for learning: asl can be a great loser repellant. Meaning, if some buster on the train attempts to hit on me, I can feign deafness and sign back to him. That ought to mess his head up.:giggle:

Another great reason for learning: asl can be a great loser repellant. Meaning, if some buster on the train attempts to hit on me, I can feign deafness and sign back to him. That ought to mess his head up.:giggle:

You can probably do that, anyway, without knowing formal signs; just flail away! :lol:

You can probably do that, anyway, without knowing formal signs; just flail away! :lol:

I've thought of doing that before but there's no way in the world i'd be able to keep a straight face throughout. I'd totally blow my own cover.:rofl:

I've had a lot of exposure to ASL over the years, but my top reasons for improving my ASL skills now are:

1)I'm in a kitchen with Deaf students every day
2)I'm starting to develop friendships with these people and would like to be able to communicate with them more effectively
3)I have other Deaf friends in other places and would like to strengthen my friendships
4)ASL is a beautiful language
5)I live in St. Augustine and encounter members of this city's enormous Deaf culture every day

Back