Top 10 Annoying things with your CI

Bear

Reaction score
OK Im creating this thread to find out if others also experience some annoyances with their CI's..

Please DO NOT use this thread to say things like *non ciers say this and that*

I want this thread to relate directly to the CI only.

1.The long trips to my CI center- my CI center is in Mayfield,Ohio which is about an 1 and a half drive from here.

2.Having to change batteries so often.- I have rechargeable batteries thank god but they only last about 6 hours and then you have to change.

3. When first putting on the CI it sounds so loud!! lol

4.Having to hear the irritating sounds along with the sounds I wanna hear- such as rain on the windshield while trying ot listen to music, ughh.

5.Sometimes the batteries come unplugged leaving me with no charged up batteries for the day and no CI.

6. Sometimes my ear itches and I accidently knock the CI off and or when I try to get my hair out of my face I accidently knock it off.

7. The CI getting tangled in my hair- never had that problem with my HA's.

8. Hearing a new sound- Some of you will say this is a plus, but to me it isnt because whenever I hear a new sound, I go searching for whatever is making that sound and if I cant find it, then it just drives me nuts, trying to figure out what it is.

9. Sound overload- this mainly happens to me at places like Cedar Point or in a very crowded place, sometimes too much sound isnt such a good thing. At these times I simply turn my processor so low that I cant hear anything or take it off.

10. Sometimes I accidently fall asleep with it on and end up with a sore head the next day.

Tell me about what annoys you with your CI. We have soooooo many positive CI threads, it would be nice to have just one small annoyance thread.

Bear

I only have a couple nits to mention...I have the Freedom.

1) Not as sweatproof as I would like it to be.

2) Short battery life.

3) Would love to see a wireless version so the coil and transmitter wouldn't be necessary anymore.

Otherwise, I have no complaints.

:ty: SR171soars

I tend to agree with you about sweating and the need for a wireless version.

1) Long distance to Seattle, have to go there for the CI many times...

2) Metal on my skull, I barely can feel my skin when itching at that area.

3) When people, especially my family pesting me to wear the CI.

4) Too many equipments!!

5) Shallow valley behind my ear.

6) My ear rings everytime I touch the metal on my skull or shake my head.

7) People thought I was hearing person :roll:

8) When I walk around public area with CI, suddenly people scream "That guy have CI!!!"

9) When I wear the CI, my family bothering me to learn how to talk.

I can tell even more..

My only little problem is fall off sometimes because I have thick hair. But speaking of sweating here a little trick I use that helps me lot. I went to the drug store and I look around for skin moles patches and I cut it up and put it on the processer and it works less sweating. it can stick on and stick off.

1)

8) When I walk around public area with CI, suddenly people scream "That guy have CI!!!"

I find that amazing!! I've never ever experienced anything like that, and I've traveled all over the US and Canada since getting my CI!!!

The annoying things from me:

Similar to what sr171soars said, short battery life (I get 2 days out of my 3 batteries), would like them to be more water/sweat resistant even though they market the Freedom as being water resistant I find that it could be more, and the fact there are some bugs like the latex sheathing on the coil splitting. Going wireless would be pretty neat!

I find that amazing!! I've never ever experienced anything like that, and I've traveled all over the US and Canada since getting my CI!!!

It's good for first time, but later and later and later, you will getting sick of it. It's just like being famous sucks.

I guess it depends on where you live...90% of the people here have no idea what a CI *IS* let alone how to recognize one or have the rudeness to make a comment like that. I guess I've been lucky.

I guess it depends on where you live...90% of the people here have no idea what a CI *IS* let alone how to recognize one or have the rudeness to make a comment like that. I guess I've been lucky.

Maybe depends whatever you feel comfortable about how people look at you ;)

My only complaints about my CI are as follows: the need to change batteries every 3 days and that they tend to go dead suddenly without warning; not even remotely water proof and long drives for my mappings.

Interesting thread...

Some posts got me wondering...

Who pays the batteries for CI?

I aware that the batteries for CI is an expensive than HA.

Public Health insurance here in Germany pays 100% for everything including batteries for CI users, not batteries for HA users. :roll:

Interesting thread...

Some posts got me wondering...

Who pays the batteries for CI?

I aware that the batteries for CI is an expensive than HA.

Public Health insurance here in Germany pays 100% for everything including batteries for CI users, not battery for HA users. :roll:

Mine is recharging battery, from Bionic.. I know my friends have the health insurance paying for his battery on his CI.

My hubby met some adult CI users at spa clinic at 3 years ago. 2 guys lost their hearing to deaf and decided for CI and thought that CI is better techology.

After CI surgery, they realized that the sound of CI and original hearing are not the same. They feel something "metal" in their head... It memorize in their head when they hear the sounds... They (former hearing) train to hear the sounds. They described to my hubby... before they were hearing and like to hear the sound of spiders walk... flies... rain... after surgery, they don't like the sound... They have to learn to accept the different sounds they were before. Interesting.

My annoyances:

1. Battery changing, especially now that I'm bilateral. However, I'm spending less on batteries now in total than I did with hearing aids because I've found a place that I buy them from overseas for much cheaper than I used to pay before.

2. Drive to audiologist but I guess I'm happy that I have a much closer relationship now. Before, with hearing aids I was in delusion and thought I didn't need an audie to to have things checked. I had a false sense of confidence which was suddenly one day shattered when my hearing went south. I wasted so much time trying to find someone to help me.

3. Um...thinking...thinking...sometimes my magnet is not strong enough and I have to rearrange my hair.

That's it I think.

There are people who can hear spiders walk? :eek3: Is that even possible?

Oh yes, I just forget that you live in Australia... Why can't you try to hear the big spiders walking and their sound and then let us know what you think.... :giggle::fingersx:

My annoyances:

1. Battery changing, especially now that I'm bilateral. However, I'm spending less on batteries now in total than I did with hearing aids because I've found a place that I buy them from overseas for much cheaper than I used to pay before.

2. Drive to audiologist but I guess I'm happy that I have a much closer relationship now. Before, with hearing aids I was in delusion and thought I didn't need an audie to to have things checked. I had a false sense of confidence which was suddenly one day shattered when my hearing went south. I wasted so much time trying to find someone to help me.

3. Um...thinking...thinking...sometimes my magnet is not strong enough and I have to rearrange my hair.

That's it I think.

Don't health insurance cover the cost for CI batteries in your country?

Don't health insurance cover the cost for CI batteries in your country?

They do cover the cost if you are on a low income but because both my husband and I work we do not qualify. It was no different with hearing aids except that now I save money. We seem to pay a lot more for batteries in Australia than in the US.

Can't say I've ever "heard" spiders walk - even when I COULD hear as a child....and we do have huntsman spiders here...and banana spiders too...especially now as its getting cold and they're moving inside...*shudder*

One of the difficulties I have with my CI - not annoying, just difficult - is that I still have to remind myself to "listen".....I can hear things but they don't register in my brain as being important....like somebody calling my name. So I'm having to learn to be more alert to what's around me. Sometimes when I'm lost in a good book or busy doing something I forget to listen.

I've taken note of my beef, here it is:

10 - When it rains, need to carry a container to protect CI
9 - Battery dead unexpectedly when I least need it to
8 - Cant actively move about quickly like I used to
7 - Need to be constantly aware of humidity dosage
6 - Same goes for ocean salt water mist on the beach
5 - Just like women's hair, some good hearing days, some frustrating
4 - Determining when a mapping is necessary
3 - Not waterproof
2 - Equipment suddenly wears out, need replacement ASAP
1 - On rare occasions, head is sore from constantly wearing headpiece

(I'll be damned if David Letterman will come with one on CIs, LOL)

SCBassist,

Thanks for responding, I agree with you about carrying plastic containers or baggies on really wet days to protect the processor.

Neecy, oh yeah that is a very good one. Its not like when I had my HA's I could just *listen* and hear what was going on around me. With the CI I have to constantly remind myself to really pay attention to register what is being said.

Back