Toddler with hearing loss

@Bottesini I would guess you are right. Forgive me, I never claim to know it all believe me in this lol. I have however heard the side from my step son's dad who feels as though he feels as though he may have outted his son from the deaf community. You are completely right I don't know what it's like to be deaf, to live like that. I do know what it's like to completely misunderstand what others have said to me even though they are right in front of me, I do know how important communication is, and how integral community is for everyone hearing, hard of hearing or deaf.

There are people who are Deaf who have CI's, so maybe this boy just needs to meet more open minded members of the Deaf community... They are out there.

There are people who are Deaf who have CI's, so maybe this boy just needs to meet more open minded members of the Deaf community... They are out there.

As anybody deaf knows, there are plenty of Deaf CI users.

So I wonder about the veracity of a person who writes about the deprivation of the CI implanted boy.

Well I sure hope that will happen. Not sure what will happen; he's my step son and he will be 3 in January. Sorry if I seem a bit ...off just trying to be supportive and such. Ya know giving my two cent's like we all are I guess.

@Bottesini I would guess you are right. Forgive me, I never claim to know it all believe me in this lol. I have however heard the side from my step son's dad who feels as though he feels as though he may have outted his son from the deaf community. You are completely right I don't know what it's like to be deaf, to live like that. I do know what it's like to completely misunderstand what others have said to me even though they are right in front of me, I do know how important communication is, and how integral community is for everyone hearing, hard of hearing or deaf.

Well I sure hope that will happen. Not sure what will happen; he's my step son and he will be 3 in January. Sorry if I seem a bit ...off just trying to be supportive and such. Ya know giving my two cent's like we all are I guess.
Your two cents was patronizing. It annoys me.

After a moment of considering a response I've decided I'm ending any further talk with you Bottesini. I've really tried to be as nice as I could be, to explain how I felt without being patronizing at all. I'm very sorry if there has been some sort of misunderstanding, my only intention was to share my brief story about my step son and be supportive with what knowledge I have. If I've been offensive I apologize.

After a moment of considering a response I've decided I'm ending any further talk with you Bottesini. I've really tried to be as nice as I could be, to explain how I felt without being patronizing at all. I'm very sorry if there has been some sort of misunderstanding, my only intention was to share my brief story about my step son and be supportive with what knowledge I have. If I've been offensive I apologize.

:P That is a way of getting the last word!

That is what I call "blunt" from Bottisini to Expression. Now I see that Expression accept the "blunt" talk. Very interesting. Not bad. This might be what Expression is learning about deafness when talking about her step-son. :)

Speaking as a kid who was born severely hard of hearing with loving parents...
My parents found out I was hard of hearing when I was 3 1/2. They had taken me to a program called Healthy Beginnings, where I failed the hearing test. I got hearing aids soon after, my first sound I remember ever hearing was the dog next door barking. And as I've been told I picked up language fairly well. I had to go through a lot of speech therapy but now I'm 17 with a severe to profound hearing loss and I am very fluent in English. I also sign. My suggestion to you, (if you're looking for suggestions) is to get your child hearing aids if they are an option, but never disregard the deaf world your child is a part of. My mother raised me to appreciate both the hearing world and the deaf world. I sign ASL and as mentioned, I am a fluent speaker. My mother had looked into a CI, but didn't get me one, I have enough hearing to get by with hearing aids. Personally, I don't think I'll ever get a CI, even with my progressive loss. But I don't discriminate against it, it's an amazing technology regardless of my opinion, and it's never too late to get a CI. Even though common knowledge says that CI's are better to be implanted on youngsters (so they grow up learning sound like that), I know quite a few teens that have been very successful with cochlear implants. It's without a doubt, a hard choice. In my opinion, if I were in your situation and if hearing aids are a possible option I would go with those, like my mother did. Best of luck!

Just wanted to update everyone on my daughter's appointment in St Louis MO yesterday. I thought she was having an ABR done, but it seems I was mistaken. They did a behavioral test with her in a sound booth, trying to get her to turn to the sound to see puppets light up and sing. Each time they made the sound louder and louder. The last one they did, they later told me, was of the same volume as that of a jet engine,which she showed absolutely no response to.

The audiologist was angry that the other two doctors suggested that it was either autism or conductive hearing loss when they had no solid evidence to either... She said that it could be anything and that we won't know for sure until we do an ABR the end of next month, BUT from her experience, a hearing loss that great when the child is otherwise healthy and normal, is usually caused by sensorineural hearing loss rather than conductive.

Now we have an idea, though not an answer, but it's something better than what we had before. There's more waiting to come, but we were told once she gets the official dx that everything else will start going faster and I cannot wait.

Still unsure of what I will do if her only chance of hearing is the CI implant.. obviously I'm hoping that a ha can do her a world of good, she doesn't have to hear for me , I don't need that, I don't think she 'needs' that either, but I wonder if she would want it.. if it were an option. I just don't know. What I do know is that my little Zoe is one of the sweetest girls in the world and I will do everything in my power to make sure that she grows up happy and fulfilled.

I want to say thank you all for all of your input. I have been researching everything until my fingers bleed, but what I value most is the opinions of people that know and are apart of the deaf community. Doctors can tell me what they think is best until their faces go blue, but it means little unless they have been there.

6.jpg

Just wanted to update everyone on my daughter's appointment in St Louis MO yesterday. I thought she was having an ABR done, but it seems I was mistaken. They did a behavioral test with her in a sound booth, trying to get her to turn to the sound to see puppets light up and sing. Each time they made the sound louder and louder. The last one they did, they later told me, was of the same volume as that of a jet engine,which she showed absolutely no response to.

The audiologist was angry that the other two doctors suggested that it was either autism or conductive hearing loss when they had no solid evidence to either... She said that it could be anything and that we won't know for sure until we do an ABR the end of next month, BUT from her experience, a hearing loss that great when the child is otherwise healthy and normal, is usually caused by sensorineural hearing loss rather than conductive.

Now we have an idea, though not an answer, but it's something better than what we had before. There's more waiting to come, but we were told once she gets the official dx that everything else will start going faster and I cannot wait.

Still unsure of what I will do if her only chance of hearing is the CI implant.. obviously I'm hoping that a ha can do her a world of good, she doesn't have to hear for me , I don't need that, I don't think she 'needs' that either, but I wonder if she would want it.. if it were an option. I just don't know. What I do know is that my little Zoe is one of the sweetest girls in the world and I will do everything in my power to make sure that she grows up happy and fulfilled.

I want to say thank you all for all of your input. I have been researching everything until my fingers bleed, but what I value most is the opinions of people that know and are apart of the deaf community. Doctors can tell me what they think is best until their faces go blue, but it means little unless they have been there.

6.jpg

Where are you from/live? I am from St. Louis and still very close.. I know a great Audiologist if you are looking for one who is located in South County just out of the city limits.

Thanks! We think she's kinda cute too :giggle:

Where are you from/live? I am from St. Louis and still very close.. I know a great Audiologist if you are looking for one who is located in South County just out of the city limits.

My husband is from Belleville, IL and I'm from Sparta, IL. We're super southern IL now in Saline County, so it's quite a drive for us to get over that way, but totally worth it. I've heard that Memphis is really the place to go for hearing though, I'm not sure how true that is, but I'm considering looking into it. :hmm:

Wirelessly posted

Your daughter is beautiful. Sign Language. Please make sure she has that. That is second to none of any other options she may have.

Last edited:
AshJagla,

First off, your daughter is adorable. I wish you luck on your journey whatever road you choose, just keep an open mind and realize that your choices do not have to be set in stone. A friend of mine who is no longer a member of this forum asked me to let you know that she lives near you and if you feel like reaching out to a prent of a deaf child, she would be more than happy to talk to you. You can find her by googling the blog she writes about her daughter: Miss Kat's Deaf Journey.

Good luck and best wishes.
Rick

Back