Today, I confronted my Audiologist for getting the truth.

DefMATRIXense

Reaction score
What happened was two days ago, after talking to several deaf friends of mine and I felt that my audiologist was talking bullshitting me and decided to call medicaid and insurance and find out. After talking, they exactly said they would cover the cost of hearing aids with ANY brand name and also said that audiologist was not supposed to order two hearing aids without me a consent because she thought only one specific hearing aids called Siemens INTUIS that fits my ears needed. They also asked me what kind of hearing aids I wanted and I told them either that Phonak Naida V UltraPower or Phonak Veresata depend on my hearing loss result. Guess what? They said they would cover the cost of those if it benefits my both ears. The next day, I called audiologist to please email me for my audiogram result. Here is what she said,

Profound sensorineural hearing loss in both ears.
Word recognition could not be established due to severity of hearing loss in both ears.
Speech awareness thresholds indicate profound hearing loss in each ear.
Normal middle ear function in both ears.

R ear - average is 108 dB
L ear - average is 102 dB

Recommendation: Siemens Super Power Behind-the-Ear hearing aids with DMs (Directional Microphones for noise reduction) and Telecoil in both ears. Full shell Precision ear molds will be used with this fitting. To add the name of the aids, which is Siemens INTUIS

I had doubt that Siemen INTUIS is considered a Super Power hearing aid and decided to research it. Guess what, it is and she is telling the truth and I said ok but what about Phonak Naida V ultra power hearing aid that you said medicaid wouldn't cover it but I called them and they said otherwise. Tomorrow, she will call my insurance and medicaid again and see what happens.

i would have medicaid send you a letter indicating that they will pay for any hearing aid that you request. anyone can say whatever they want on the phone, but it doesn't mean it's true.

let us know what your audi finds out after she talks to medicaid.

In my state, Medicaid pays based on the degree of technology and severity of loss, not on a specific brand. Naidas are relatively inexpensive, given the level of technology they possess; I agree with HearAgain, get it in writing from MC.

In my state, Medicaid pays based on the degree of technology and severity of loss, not on a specific brand. Naidas are relatively inexpensive, given the level of technology they possess; I agree with HearAgain, get it in writing from MC.

now that i think about it, i don't know whether wisconsin medicaid only paid for certain brands when it came to my hearing aids. i've always worn oticon hearing aids, so i'm not sure. that being said, medicaid did pay for a top of the line pair of digitals (oticon digifocus II super power bte's) in 1996 due to the fact that i had severe-profound hearing loss and couldn't hear anything without hearing aids, i was totally blind and relied on my hearing aids to travel safely and my analogs (oticon 380Ps) were already 6 years old.

How d you have a profound hearing loss, and it took this long to diagnose? I could be wrong but judging from your posts you were just diagnosed.

Second, if you audiologist isn't experienced with fitting Naidas you may be better off with the Seimens aids.

Naidas aren't good for every situation and not every person can adapt to them or get benefit from them. I am skeptical of your ability to establish this yourself.

jennyb brought up a very good point about the naidas. during my first ci evaluation i asked my ci audi if i could try transpositional aids, but she discouraged me since so many people have trouble adjusting to them and some never make the initial adjustment in the first place. she thought it would be better if i was evaluated for a ci instead since it would provide much better hearing and i wouldn't have to worry about the continued progression of my hearing loss.

How d you have a profound hearing loss, and it took this long to diagnose? I could be wrong but judging from your posts you were just diagnosed.

Second, if you audiologist isn't experienced with fitting Naidas you may be better off with the Seimens aids.

Naidas aren't good for every situation and not every person can adapt to them or get benefit from them. I am skeptical of your ability to establish this yourself.

Actually, I became deaf when I was 4 years old and am now 32 years old. With hearing aids I used to wear, I have had ability to hear what people say, listen someone on the phone, speaking and etc. Obviously, I was a hard of hearing. the last time I worn hearing aids was in 1996. That time, in florida, medicaid and insurance would not be covered. and I cant afford it because I am bum.:giggle: In 2007, I moved back to New Jersey.

My audiologist has experienced with naidas with her patients before. One of my best friends just got and wearing Naidas in a month ago.

i would have medicaid send you a letter indicating that they will pay for any hearing aid that you request. anyone can say whatever they want on the phone, but it doesn't mean it's true.

let us know what your audi finds out after she talks to medicaid.
Why did I think of that before? Thanks...

Well, try it out and see if it works for me because I knew it's not for everyone and am pretty sure every hearing aid has offered 30 days free trial.

Let me cariftly, audiologist said medicaid would pay only siemen hearing aids however I called and they said no and we would cover the cost of hearing aids with any brand name.

Let me cariftly, audiologist said medicaid would pay only siemen hearing aids however I called and they said no and we would cover the cost of hearing aids with any brand name.

as i said in my earlier post, i would get that in writing.

Why did I think of that before? Thanks...

you're welcome. :)

medicaid may very well pay for any hearing aid, but you want to make sure to have that in writing in case the person you spoke to gave you incorrect information. better safe than sorry.

HA Consult: Finally!

I got hearing tests recently. No HA consult was done. Going back on Thursday for the consult. And to explain results. Said for my hearing problem I should use an FM system. Haven't even got that! Terp is supposed to come this time. I want to use HA's, NOT FM system!

I got hearing tests recently. No HA consult was done. Going back on Thursday for the consult. And to explain results. Said for my hearing problem I should use an FM system. Haven't even got that! Terp is supposed to come this time. I want to use HA's, NOT FM system!

:laugh2:

i despise FM system. it gives me massive headache.

Back