To Wear Hearing Aids Or Not To?

camtheham

Reaction score
The title pretty much says it all. Yes, hearing aids do work for me, but I still cannot hear most of the time. I just hate accomadating for hearing people, like I want them to work to communicate with me(sick of reading lips).

Without them I can't hear anything... but I feel so much at ease

Anybody else feel the same with hearing aids?

I won't go out without my hearing on. I don't feel that I am accommodating for hearing people , I been wearing hearing aid for 62 years . They are a part of wardrobe .

I won't go out without my hearing on. I don't feel that I am accommodating for hearing people , I been wearing hearing aid for 62 years . They are a part of wardrobe .

Haha a little longer than my 17 years ;). I mean I use them at school but outside of school I take them off. It feels like I'm free from a leash almost(something holding me down).

Haha a little longer than my 17 years ;). I mean I use them at school but outside of school I take them off. It feels like I'm free from a leash almost(something holding me down).
A lot of people feel this way. They wear HA or CI for school, but when they come home, they whip off their hearing devices. Which is awesome. Very little kids may need to be aided as much as possible, but other dhh kids and teens need to have the option of when/when not to use their devices. Meaning parents, and audis shouldn't be Nazis about kids wearing their devices.

hearing aids as part of a wardrobe?? who knew...

They're not a part of anything.. neither are my glasses... they're just tools/'devices'... and expensive as hell.

I don't feel that way at all , I hate not being able to hear the sound of the wind or birds when outside . I love the sounds of nature .

I don't feel that way at all , I hate not being able to hear the sound of the wind or birds when outside . I love the sounds of nature .

Interesting perspective. I personally myself never heard a bird chip, so I have no idea what I'm missing out on. I just feel so much free'er when I don't have my hearing-aids on.

I wear it once in a while whenever I feel like.. I dislike otican. so I have two more years to go, then will go back to phonak. I hope I ll wear it often.

I use to wear mine all the time, but I enjoyed the silence that came with being HOH, so I wear them when I am meeting people or going to a class. I don't wear them to work though. When I get my new ones I might wear them more often.

I wear mines when I feel like it. I enjoy hearing less. I didn't realize I lived near a railroad station for a few months.

Being HoH isn't a big issue for me, but it is for others because they don't understand what it means but I'm done explaining myself :D

I wear mines when I feel like it. I enjoy hearing less. I didn't realize I lived near a railroad station for a few months.

Being HoH isn't a big issue for me, but it is for others because they don't understand what it means but I'm done explaining myself :D
We have a train station in my city , it was years before it up and running again . People were complaining about the train blowing it whistle so that doesn't happen anymore .
The funny thing was a store opened up right near the station and it called 'Whistle Stop' , they should had renamed it 'Silent Whistle Stop !'

It just depends on my mood, really. I can hear without them but obviously not well

When I was a nanny and the little kid would throw tantrums or scream to try to get my attention, I would look at her, and say, "Your screaming/whining is hurting my hearing aids, so I am taking them out. When you are ready to talk to me in your normal voice, I will put them back in so I can listen to you." I'd then take them out and pretend I couldn't hear ANYTHING, worked like a charm :)

Well it's hard for you to hear (hence the term hard of hearing) and it's fun to be free of something that is hard!

I can't hear without my hearing aid on , I will turn it down when checking out a the grocery store, that beeping get to me.

Well it's hard for you to hear (hence the term hard of hearing) and it's fun to be free of something that is hard!
It doesn't work that way for . If I don't wear my hearing it's a lot harder to do a lot of things ! Wearing my HA made my life easier .

Well, it depends how do you feel about your identity - are you more Deaf or just deaf? do you wish to join a Deaf community or a hearing one?
If you benefit from HA-s albeit not fully, perhaps you are candidate for Cochlear Implant, then?
Either way, first reconcile who do you are as a person :)

Fuzzy

Well, it depends how do you feel about your identity - are you more Deaf or just deaf? do you wish to join a Deaf community or a hearing one?
If you benefit from HA-s albeit not fully, perhaps you are candidate for Cochlear Implant, then?
Either way, first reconcile who do you are as a person :)

Fuzzy
What worry with being apart of the deaf and hearing community why do people need to build a wall between one another all the time??

What worry with being apart of the deaf and hearing community why do people need to build a wall between one another all the time??

I mean I do benefit from hearing aids(I have it turned to the max and best hearing aids I can afford), especially one on one situations. However, I still miss a ton in group situations.

Regarding both worlds, I don't fit in either. I can never be Deaf, I can only be deaf. I have Deaf attritubutes but I never attended a deaf school nor grew up in a deaf household(surprisingly a lot of my cousins and uncles who are deaf, speak).

Regarding both worlds, I don't fit in either. I can never be Deaf, I can only be deaf. I have Deaf attritubutes but I never attended a deaf school nor grew up in a deaf household(surprisingly a lot of my cousins and uncles who are deaf, speak).
Nope. Who told you that? There are MANY ways to be Deaf, and you can be Deaf without having attended a Deaf School or grown up in a Deaf family. Those do give you extra points, but they're not the whole story!

I feel the same way a lot of the time. I usually only wear mine to important events. My kids speak up for me so I don't have to wear them at home. Plus our dogs are great at barking when someone comes or when the kids get to rough with each other. :)

Back