Time to start thinking about college..yikes!

Here is some of my works that i've been working on a few weeks ago. I don't know if you would call it as a fine arts major or a advertising graphic design, or website design kind of thing But this is what kind of graphic designs i've been wanting to major in.

coca-cola2.jpg

standbyme.jpg

the guys.jpg

All of these photos are taken by me and edited by me. And so.. I've been studying since the beginning of this month. I studied for about 3 hours today. I'm more worried about my Chemistry grade. Because of the comprehension itself. Math, I need to practice more on that. But yeah, I'm probably not going to be able to get on the computer as much to work on my pictures or be on alldeaf. I'll probably use it for resources for my studying. oh well.

The "support" thing that my parents wants me to have is because of my bad grades. I have struggled with Science and math. I was in like a lower level of math in the first 2 years of my high school career, meaning i was in a small class room, about 10-15 kids. But this year i got moved up to a higher level and I got C's for about 3 quarters in my math class and ended up having a D this quarter. It's really hard for me. I don't know why I keep getting bad grades in science. I mean I literally tried and couldn't do it. Next year I'm not taking another science class, I have enough credits for it and luckily i passed the science classes that i struggled in. I mean I got by, barely. I have about 1 more point left to raise my Chemistry grade up to a C. I've been asking alot of questions to my teachers. And yeah since my senior year is coming up pretty soon, i'm getting worried about how i'm going to be able to get into college. I hope nothing bad happens.

Oh, I understand. Well, if you go to NTID/RIT or Gallaudet, I will tell you that they have tutoring for you. It's not a bad thing and it's not like high school tutoring from my experience. Other universities might have it, but not all of them. I'm just speaking for the two that I know will have it out of your choice of schools. Honestly, even though your grades aren't quite where you want them, I think you could still get into either school.

One of my friends is a photographer and he HATED math classes until he got to Gallaudet. You never know.

Go to CSUN!

CSUN? what does that stand for?

so far i passed my english exam, which is an 82% my english teacher graded my english exam early before anybody else was done with theirs. I have one more exam that needs to be graded, which will hopefully be on the online grade viewer.

One huge downside to community college, is that it being a commuter school, there's very little community/social life/chance to make friends. It's basicly...go to classes....Not that fun.

ahh okay.. well i'm offically a senior :) but i'm definitely interested in gallaudet. I haven't signed up for the ACT test, the next one isn't until September 10th i think. But I'm definately planning on taking the ACT or SAT.. most likely going to be doing both. Not sure yet. But my parents are planning on getting me an interpreter which will take a lot of paperwork for the ACT.

!!

I'm also thinking about what college to go to. I'm trying to take accredited classes that allow me to transfer to either CSU (CSUN, in particular) or UC (UC Berkeley) at this point. I'm so behind on College/Career/Major picks, yet on track with my accredited classes to whichever college and major I pick (at least till Nov. 8th, which is the date I will have to decide my major and depending on the major, my college choice will go along with it).

I used to hate reading and just go have fun being ignorant while just "passing" my college courses. I am so lucky about not failing a class or mistaking any classes (that leans toward more to CSU or UC, at least). I got time to decide, but I need a little help.

I just found out I can transfer out of state, get scholarships/grants, the difference between Graduate school and undergrad School (up to Bachelor's degree). I got a 100 for my essay for the first time, twice, and that was when I had help from a tutor and putting my effort into it. My point is anyone has potential and should not miss out on great opportunities.

There's a difference between a student getting a B on their test and leave it like that (my life RIGHT THERE) and another student getting a B on their test and asking questions (what to improve, don't make the same mistake(s) again, etc.)

Yeah that's how much I know about "college" stuff and myself. Shit. I don't want to be behind. Nobody does.

Last edited:
How good is Gallaudet University and NTID, academically and economically? Do they have a good record of students getting a good job out of school? How you check that or what is that method called (so I can Google for other schools!)?

I'm looking at these Collegeboard books with a list of all major and careers, plus all the accredited schools! Here's the EXCELLENT link to their website: Majors and Careers Central and the two very useful books: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Book-Majors-2011-College-Board/dp/0874479045/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1309209448&sr=8-8[/ame] [ame]http://www.amazon.com/College-Handbook-2012-Board/dp/0874479673/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309209526&sr=1-1[/ame]

How good is Gallaudet University and NTID, academically and economically? Do they have a good record of students getting a good job out of school? How you check that or what is that method called (so I can Google for other schools!)?

I'm looking at these Collegeboard books with a list of all major and careers, plus all the accredited schools! Here's the EXCELLENT link to their website: Majors and Careers Central and the two very useful books: Amazon.com: Book of Majors 2011 (College Board Book of Majors) (9780874479041): The College Board: Books Amazon.com: College Handbook 2012 (9780874479676): The College Board: Books

Whew, after reading some of your posts in this forum recently, I'd say you need to take a breath and relax! College is important, but don't stress over getting a job before you've even decided a major! RIT is definitely academically better for undergraduate students than Gally. When I say RIT, I mean the bachelor program, not the associate program at NTID (it seems like you might not be aware that NTID is actually a college within RIT). Gallaudet beats NTID for graduate school, and is on par with RIT, I think.

Both schools have good records for students getting jobs. Both schools offer internships and other real life experiences in school that will make your resume stand out. RIT requires it, actually. Statistics for the number of students who get jobs is probably available on each of the school's websites. The networking at both schools is immensely helpful.

I know you're considering CSUN, but also consider the other two schools. VR, scholarships, grants, and other things can make them available to you financially. I applied and visited both RIT and Gallaudet, but didn't check out CSUN because they had a crazy deadline for applications and it was too late for me. RIT is more technical, throwing in math and science, and Gally is more liberal arts. It's up to you which you'd prefer. There's virtual tours for both schools, I believe, so you could check it out. There's also blogs and vlogs from actual students who were freshmen, transfers, or grad students to give you their perspective.

I completely know how you feel, when I applied last year to transfer, it was a really hard decision for me. I'm sure you'll do well wherever you go!

Whew, after reading some of your posts in this forum recently, I'd say you need to take a breath and relax! College is important, but don't stress over getting a job before you've even decided a major! RIT is definitely academically better for undergraduate students than Gally. When I say RIT, I mean the bachelor program, not the associate program at NTID (it seems like you might not be aware that NTID is actually a college within RIT). Gallaudet beats NTID for graduate school, and is on par with RIT, I think.

Both schools have good records for students getting jobs. Both schools offer internships and other real life experiences in school that will make your resume stand out. RIT requires it, actually. Statistics for the number of students who get jobs is probably available on each of the school's websites. The networking at both schools is immensely helpful.

I know you're considering CSUN, but also consider the other two schools. VR, scholarships, grants, and other things can make them available to you financially. I applied and visited both RIT and Gallaudet, but didn't check out CSUN because they had a crazy deadline for applications and it was too late for me. RIT is more technical, throwing in math and science, and Gally is more liberal arts. It's up to you which you'd prefer. There's virtual tours for both schools, I believe, so you could check it out. There's also blogs and vlogs from actual students who were freshmen, transfers, or grad students to give you their perspective.

I completely know how you feel, when I applied last year to transfer, it was a really hard decision for me. I'm sure you'll do well wherever you go!

Yeah I think I'll do well at whichever college I go to as long I'm liking it and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

One thing too. I don't want to take online classes... mostly at least. I want to be in the actual classrooms or auditorium listening to my professor's lectures. I would be using a FM System, interpreter, note takers or anything that would help me enough to understand any lecture.

I remember using a FM system in elementary school and I would give the microphone to the teacher. I can hear the teacher's voice and only that; I couldn't listen to students around me and that got me wishing not to use one. Big mistake. The day I stopped using the FM system was last time I used it. I will be needing one if I want to go to classes and listen to lectures. Either learn ASL and get an interpreter or that.

And I see you tried to apply to CSUN! I wish I can see Gally's campus and NTID's campus too, but they're literally on the other side of the coast of U.S. CSUN is not only a school for the deaf, but also a mainstream school. Since I grew up going to mainstreamed school, it's screaming for me to go visit there.

I think after I visit CSUN, I'll know what to expect and have a better perspective when I learn more about Gally and NTID.

Gee, any deaf student that knows ASL and has a interpreter could go to a mainstream university and still strive in learning, yet get as much opportunities as what Gally/NTID would provide for the D/HH and more. I mean one deaf student did go to Princeton and graduated with a major after all. I don't think Princeton university has ever served the D/HH students until he came and enrolled. I'm really inspired by him, but I really need to step up my academic level, a little of social level, along with a lot of motivation to keep up the pace if I want to be on par with him.

Blogs by students is what I should look for, maybe. However visiting the campus is more important as the students' blogs is new to me. After all, I didn't know there was a writing lab; or that you can get more than one scholarship; or that there are different college buildings in universities dedicated to their respective subject/major.

Thank you for helping me. I had my fun. Now it's time to play catch-up if I want to get out of my house, live independently, learn at college-level. At least an accomplishment that I can live with and share.

I think after picking a major, my counselor would put me in a program or path with the list of things to do and everything will be much easier from there.

I'm in a waiting room with a choice to pick a major/career and the door would be right there for me to open when I'm ready. Just pick... as long it's something you would like to do and won't ever regret picking it when it comes to a bad day at Life.

LOL! after reading my recent posts... I need to spice it up with some style and smileys. I'm so boring!! Oh gosh [insert smiley here because I can't think of one at the moment...]

I would be using a FM System, interpreter, note takers or anything that would help me enough to understand any lecture.

I remember using a FM system in elementary school and I would give the microphone to the teacher. I can hear the teacher's voice and only that; I couldn't listen to students around me and that got me wishing not to use one. Big mistake. The day I stopped using the FM system was last time I used it. I will be needing one if I want to go to classes and listen to lectures. Either learn ASL and get an interpreter or that.
Actually the downside of FM is that you can only hear the instructor. In college, it's important to hear what the other kids say too.

Actually the downside of FM is that you can only hear the instructor. In college, it's important to hear what the other kids say too.

Thank you! I need to keep that in mind. It would be awkward if my professor asks one of the students a question, "So who knows what blahblahblah means? ..." and then there's a pause... finally your professor speaks, "...Yep that's right. For those of you who don't know about blahblahblah."

Actually as I just noticed and typed, you can set your processor to 1:1 ratio in Environmental mic and FM, so you also hear your peers and the teacher or set it to hear the teacher's voice only. Teacher's voice will be right at your ear.

I'll type more as I check out the FM system. Apparently there's a new standard for FM system by Phonak and my old FM system (black box) is outdated. I'm- wow look at this.

Designed for all types of listening environment – from the home or classroom to restaurants, outside and even in the car - Dynamic FM transmitters are built using cutting-edge FM technology, very easy-to-use and fully backwards-compatible with traditional FM systems.

Not only classrooms!

Here: FM - What is FM | Phonak - life is on

EDIT:
An FM system works like this:

* The person speaking wears or holds a transmitter microphone, or the transmitter is placed in the middle of the group (picking up speech from all around).
* Using harmless radio waves, the FM system sends speech signal(s) to the listener, who wears a tiny FM receiver behind the ear.

Am so trying this. I need to go to my college's student office of disabilities and see if I can get one. :)

I can't tell you how many times the teacher forgot to turn off their FM mike when they left the classroom and I would hear them talking to their colleagues in the hallway bitching about the students or my hearing them taking a piss...hahaha! the latter is not so fun! it's like "god no!" and scrambling frantically to turn off my FM.

I can't tell you how many times the teacher forgot to turn off their FM mike when they left the classroom and I would hear them talking to their colleagues in the hallway bitching about the students or my hearing them taking a piss...hahaha! the latter is not so fun! it's like "god no!" and scrambling frantically to turn off my FM.

Haha! Oh that is interesting and hilarious and awkward. Shoot I can't unthink possible situations now. :(

I remember in elementary school where my one teacher frequently move too much and somehow make too much "wind noise" if my transmitter box is set on high volume. And don't get me on the breathing part. Embarrassing and gets the whole classroom burst out laughing.

How is it hearing the teacher without one and with one, comparably? Do you use your processor to set at 1:1 so you can hear others and not the teacher? Does it send feedback at times or what? It been forever since I used one...

What kind you use?

No idea, it's been over 25 years since I used an FM system. last time was in grade 10, i think. but they are definitely very helpful in the classroom because you don't need to lipread as much and the teacher's mike picks up what kids say too.

And I see you tried to apply to CSUN! I wish I can see Gally's campus and NTID's campus too, but they're literally on the other side of the coast of U.S. CSUN is not only a school for the deaf, but also a mainstream school. Since I grew up going to mainstreamed school, it's screaming for me to go visit there.

I think after I visit CSUN, I'll know what to expect and have a better perspective when I learn more about Gally and NTID.

Gee, any deaf student that knows ASL and has a interpreter could go to a mainstream university and still strive in learning, yet get as much opportunities as what Gally/NTID would provide for the D/HH and more. I mean one deaf student did go to Princeton and graduated with a major after all. I don't think Princeton university has ever served the D/HH students until he came and enrolled. I'm really inspired by him, but I really need to step up my academic level, a little of social level, along with a lot of motivation to keep up the pace if I want to be on par with him.

I grew up going to a mainstreamed school as well. In fact, I went to a mainstreamed college, and now I'm transferring. :) I wanted to be around more people like me (my school only had a total of about 23 deaf people, and only 4 signers). I used to be totally oral like you, but then I started learning ASL last year and fell in love with deaf culture and signing. I'm so much happier this way than before. I can speak very well, but ASL is a two way street where I understand everything. Being at a deaf school is different, but I'm happy about my decision. I really feel like it's better, so that's why I'm telling you this, whether you choose to go to a deaf school or whatever.

Another thing, it's not just about buildings for certain majors, RIT is a mainstreamed school itself, it just happens to have a deaf BUILDING on campus, if that makes sense. The deaf students can also choose to mainstream within RIT, and not stay inside the deaf building all day. So they can be in classes with hearing people, just like at CSUN. Wasn't sure if you understood they're really similar.

What you said about striving in learning, I agree--you can learn the same at a hearing university. I learned a lot. But the opportunities? I have to disagree, because I feel like being among people like me is better for my career and opportunities. Believe me. When I was in class with an interpreter at my old university, people would rarely approach me because I was like an alien. People always gasp when they find out I can talk or that I speak Spanish or something.

Sororities/fraternities and just general socialization is SO much better and easier with more deaf people. I think if you spent some time in the deaf community, you'd see what I mean. It's not always for everyone, but at least you'd given it a try! Hearing universities didn't always know how to accommodate me, but schools with more deaf (Like CSUN for you!) will be better--in my opinion and experience.

I grew up going to a mainstreamed school as well. In fact, I went to a mainstreamed college, and now I'm transferring. :) I wanted to be around more people like me (my school only had a total of about 23 deaf people, and only 4 signers). I used to be totally oral like you, but then I started learning ASL last year and fell in love with deaf culture and signing. I'm so much happier this way than before. I can speak very well, but ASL is a two way street where I understand everything. Being at a deaf school is different, but I'm happy about my decision. I really feel like it's better, so that's why I'm telling you this, whether you choose to go to a deaf school or whatever.

I'm happy for you and you used to be in the same situation as me makes this important to keep in mind. I don't know ASL, never seen the deaf culture in reality, speak great, and grew up going to a mainstreamed school. "Why the hell would you want to turn around and try a Deaf school?" Many would ask.

Another thing, it's not just about buildings for certain majors, RIT is a mainstreamed school itself, it just happens to have a deaf BUILDING on campus, if that makes sense. The deaf students can also choose to mainstream within RIT, and not stay inside the deaf building all day. So they can be in classes with hearing people, just like at CSUN. Wasn't sure if you understood they're really similar.

Yes! Now this is what I'm talking about. No fall backs. A deaf building on a mainstreamed school's campus. This alone makes me consider CSUN than other CSU's. If other CSU's and CSUN offer the same major/programs I want, I'd definitely try CSUN first. :)

Now Gally is something entirely new, besides the academic side, although many members in here said Gally's academic education isn't comparable to mainstreamed colleges, and if I didn't like the school outside classes, I'd be in trouble. Probably hate it to the point I like to get out and go to a different school, hence nothing to fall back on and time is wasted.

Nonetheless, we have to try something new every once in a while, but if there is no Plan B, it'll be a tough decision to consider.

What you said about striving in learning, I agree--you can learn the same at a hearing university. I learned a lot. But the opportunities? I have to disagree, because I feel like being among people like me is better for my career and opportunities. Believe me. When I was in class with an interpreter at my old university, people would rarely approach me because I was like an alien. People always gasp when they find out I can talk or that I speak Spanish or something.

Sororities/fraternities and just general socialization is SO much better and easier with more deaf people. I think if you spent some time in the deaf community, you'd see what I mean. It's not always for everyone, but at least you'd given it a try! Hearing universities didn't always know how to accommodate me, but schools with more deaf (Like CSUN for you!) will be better--in my opinion and experience.

Yes you are absolutely right. What fun is there if you can only do so well in classes at a hearing university and that's it? Opportunities is important, especially when college students are paying for housing, tuition, food, and more. In addition, staying there for couple years, seeing the same buildings, professors, and students everyday.

Actually today I went to my college's student support office and asked this lady if I can get a FM system for next semester. Her reply? She didn't know what a "FM" is and thought of interpreter service (Yes, but no thank you). It's fine as she made me an appointment for another day with this other lady that will help me.

I need to make a list of questions to ask when visiting CSUN. Hopefully it's a typical busy day there and I can ask students if they like the school and all... (shoot! couldn't think of something as I type. Better get to it!) :D

Back