Thread Hijacking

DreamDeaf

Reaction score
Lately, this seems to be the norm for many of these threads... many have been hijacked and sent into different directions - which is not always good. In most cases, this can cause flaming, bad feelings and animosity.

This is the definition:

Thread hijacking is the act of trying to steer a web forum discussion thread off topic by discussing a subject entirely unrelated to the subject at hand.

While this can be an intentional act of trolling, it is often accidental - caused by other participants in the discussion responding to a throwaway remark, taking the thread off at a tangent to the original subject matter. The results, whilst sometimes humorous or otherwise interesting, often provoke a feeling of resentment from the author of the original post.

Thread hijacking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another way of this:

(Etiquette) No Hijacking

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hijacking a thread is not considered good etiquette.
There are several definitions/methods of hijacking a thread, any and all are considered poor forum etiquette.

Several examples;

Asking a new question that is completely off topic to the original thread post.

Two (2) or more members begin “chatting” in a separate “personal” conversation.

Why the concern about “Hijacking threads”?

Users join threads because they find a thread compelling and feel they must get involved. A number of users sign on, hit "Today’s Active Topics" and read the few of interest to them. But, if the thread is titled for one topic and changes a few posts in, chances are only a very few people are ever going to see it, however marvelous and useful it ends up being.

Also, it isn't fair to the originator of the thread, since many are reluctant to interrupt an ongoing conversation, even if it's just to return to the title topic.

Yes, you can even hijack your own thread. I guess the thought process is something like "I started this thread, I'll discuss what I please". This is self-defeating, since once a thread is off-topic most will lose interest and never return, even if it drifts back.

Give a little consideration to other posters and readers. You can always start a new thread based on an off-shoot of an ongoing thread.

Forum Hijacking - MonsterSmallBusiness Forums

In other words, we should be considerate of thread starters and stick to the original topic - just because you think it suits you better to change the topic, it would be better served opening a new thread on your own topic.

Wow, you brought up good topic for discussion DreamDeaf and showing some good points here too and I totally agree with you on this....

(Etiquette) No Hijacking

Hijacking a thread is not considered good etiquette.
There are several definitions/methods of hijacking a thread, any and all are considered poor forum etiquette....
Too bad this is 2007, and there is no more etiquette. Etiquette rules are old fashioned and gone with the wind. People can do whatever pleases them.

...or so I have been told. :cool:

I'll be the first to say I can sometimes be the King of Going Off On a Tangent... but typically, I try to keep things related to the original topic... I just tend to blab a lot when trying to get folks to see where I'm coming from! :)

HOPEFULLY, I'm not one of the folks that are viewed as someone who intentionally steers things in a different direction. I know what it feels like to have that done in a thread that I posted in, where a member started posting about pizza parlors near Boston, when the topic of conversation was something QUITE different! It was a clear attempt to derail the thread of the conversation, and I was thankful for the Mod intervention in that case.

*Guilty* of doing that sometimes. I am like IntheGenes...I get caught up with a discussion or debate with other AD member, especially in the deaf education or our world, our culture threads, and I forget that I was in a particular thread about a particular topic. I try to be more conscious of making sure I stay on topic so my apologies if I messed up anyone's threads in the past. I wouldn't do that intentionally. :)

Well sometimes I see it as the normal progression of a discussion. We start here then it moves a little then a little and a little more. Then finally… how did we get all the way over here when we started talking about that. Yes I have seen people do this though. I have seen where people will say something so off the wall and I think maybe they posted in the wrong thread or something. Sometimes it is very interesting. I have actually taken a discussion that is off the topic of the original thread but is still very interesting and created a thread especially for that subject so it can be discussed there. Maybe we should start doing that more. =)

Guilty here, too. I will sometimes respond in a way that takes a thread off topic, although it is usually related in some way. I'll try to be more careful

I do that sometimes, too, but it's usually when a thread is getting old, unbearable for most, outlived it's usefulness, etc. It's not my job to do that, I know but I do......can't help myself, sometimes....lol

Lol, Reba! Good one!

Guilty here, too. I will sometimes respond in a way that takes a thread off topic, although it is usually related in some way. I'll try to be more careful

Yep me too, I'm guilty for doing that also. :Oops:

yeah, me either... I'm guilty for doing like this... :Oops:

yeah, me either... I'm guilty for doing like this... :Oops:

here is your reward for :topic:

:whip:

:lol:

back on topic

yep,I sometimes posted off topic but it wasn't intentionally. As in daily life, it's hard to keep posts on topics in the way they should be . I find it natural .

Whoops, I can see myself why is this thread is all about, as I feel I am the target of searching my old thread post and put it into hot debated post about money.

Since I am member here, I see others searching their old thread to put it on their recent posts.

I would like to offer my apologized if I upset anyone.

Huh ? You mean someone steal a thread ? :ugh:

Huh ? You mean someone steal a thread ? :ugh:

It means like a member would come in and go off point that holds no bare with the topic at hand, more like going off topic, Turning the thread around to the wrong direction. Sometimes it'll go in flame war, sometimes the thread is no longer good to read, more like it died. ;)

In another word, a member would hog a thread and turn it into a pieces of shit thread. Lol! I hope that clears it up for you. :giggle:

If I m not mistaken, Mods could merge posts to new thread or remove posts that re not revelant to the thread?

IMO, I would rather to see many pages in one thread than too many threads.

Back