Thoughts when posting to a revived thread

Jane B.

Reaction score
When adding a currant post to a revived old thread how about paying attention to the date the particular post you are responding to was posted? It is at the bottom of the post you read and decided to reply to.

I bring this up because yesterday I ran across a post that was in response to a post from 2009 and the response read like they were responding to something current. I am not suggesting not responding to an old post but to take into consideration the amount of time that has passed.

Jane, why don't you send Alex an email and ask him to lock all threads that are older than <select your preferred timeframe>. That way nobody can post in them.

AD is nearly 15 years old and have nearly 115k threads. It's common for all forums to have old threads brought back to life... wise people used search feature or Google to find a topic they're looking for and make a comment about it. Back in the day, spammers were notorious for bringing back dead threads. Alex took care of that years back. There's nothing wrong with making a post/comment in an old/dead thread(s).

If someone wants to grab a shovel and dig up old threads... have at it. Some would add more reply to it, others would find it amusing. Does it matter? No... is it a big deal? No. It's part of forum life after all. Sometime people are amused on how the thread came back to life from the dead from 5, or 10 years ago.

Last edited:
When adding a currant post to a revived old thread how about paying attention to the date the particular post you are responding to was posted? It is at the bottom of the post you read and decided to reply to..

By the way, it's "Current". :)

Jane, why don't you send Alex an email and ask him to lock all threads that are older than <select your preferred timeframe>. That way nobody can post in them.
Don't do it Jane. :ohno:

^No kidding. In the big picture this is nothing. Boo to the OP. :D

I have absolutely no problem with even very, very, old threads coming back. Just thought watching the dates when deciding what to post would be of interest to others that might not have thought of that.

I have absolutely no problem with even very, very, old threads coming back. Just thought watching the dates when deciding what to post would be of interest to others that might not have thought of that.

If you have no problem with old threads coming back... Then why make a thread in the first place?

For something posted, regardless of age, history is the foundation of our society, even on todays post. Everything is built on foundation and the sky is the limit. Thank you for keeping the old post(s).

Don't do it Jane. :ohno:
Jane's blown it ! Haha

I just had to quote this , Simon Lebon said that about Jane Pauley on NBC morning show in the 80's.

You are a musician you get it lol

It's all been said... I don't see anything wrong with it; I've looked at dates- on tech help forums or for products it's actually better to post in an older thread that has the same problem/issue you have...or you might have a better solution to add.

Same with here- I am guessing you are bringing this up related to old threads of a...'personal' nature and the original poster likely is not around anymore therefore would never see replies. I don't see the problem there either... why not- it's always good to see other perspectives- even 10 years later.

I don't think Jane is lobbying to shut down or get rid of old threads. I think her point is, if one observes the dates on a post before responding to it, one can avoid replying to posters who either never came back, or who have the original situation resolved. Examples could be people seeking signing buddies who have long gone, or needing help for a problem that had a deadline years ago. Being cognizant of when something was posted helps a person responding to be more relevant.

Making an "update" post to an old thread makes sense rather than starting a new thread on the same topic. Saying "welcome" to a poster who posted an introduction and hasn't come back in eight years doesn't make sense but it's not the end of the world. For that poster, I hope you're patient expecting a reply. :lol:

Oh, I just had a thought (anyone with smatass reply, please hang on ;)). Sometimes AD has a slow day, week...it could be fun if random AD'ers search the archives and resurrect a buried thread, just for fun.

I don't think Jane is lobbying to shut down or get rid of old threads. I think her point is, if one observes the dates on a post before responding to it, one can avoid replying to posters who either never came back, or who have the original situation resolved. Examples could be people seeking signing buddies who have long gone, or needing help for a problem that had a deadline years ago. Being cognizant of when something was posted helps a person responding to be more relevant.

Making an "update" post to an old thread makes sense rather than starting a new thread on the same topic. Saying "welcome" to a poster who posted an introduction and hasn't come back in eight years doesn't make sense but it's not the end of the world. For that poster, I hope you're patient expecting a reply. :lol:

Thank you Reba for "getting" what my point was. Maybe seeing it stated another way will help more understand what I was trying to suggest!

Thank you Reba for "getting" what my point was. Maybe seeing it stated another way will help more understand what I was trying to suggest!
I got your point. I just respectfully disagree with LoveBlue about locking the thread. Don't do it Jane! :ohno:

Back