Those people who think ASL is

Arielle00

Reaction score
*waves arms around like an idiot above head* (That's what someone seriously thought it looked like...)

Or "I don't see the point in it."

Or my favourite "Almost everyone I know knows sign language." Yeah... I doubt that, maybe they know the alphabet, and a few signs, but I doubt almost all of them do, especially fluently.

Sometimes I just want to face-palm. I can't ponder what people who use it all the time must have to put up with, I'm just learning it. :/

Feel free to post your own below! :)

I am a ASL user. I don't understand your comments as you are hearing. Just ignore the hearing people who make fun or joke over the ASL signing.

If you are interest in learning how to sign ASL and going to the Deaf class which you can learn about Deaf Culture and why we rely ASL to communicate with Deaf people. We can not hear the sounds well enough, even with hearing aid(s) or CI(s). If you or other hearing person expect us to understand by lipreading with hearing aids or no sounds at all. We get lost trying to make out what a person said by lipreading. You will learn a lot about us here on AllDeaf. This forum here is a discussion forum whether we debate it or not. You will learn that we are very blunt to the truth of being deaf or hard of hearing. If you don't like what we said, then that is too bad. That is the way we are.

Not sure why it bothers me either, actually. It's not just ASL though, any person making fun of any language bugs me. I don't know Chinese, or know any Chinese people, yet it bothers me when people mock someone Chinese by going "Ching Chang" when they hear it. I never say anything though~

I guess I'm just weird that way?

We are so used to these ignorant comments and behaviors about ASL so we just continue to use it and ignore these idiots and move on.

That's why I wont be friends with anyone who belittles ASL.

You know, I've met several employees at various locations who know ASL or sign language, and each time I do, I appreciate that they took time to sign with me while making my purchases. Makes things a lot easier when that happens, which isn't often, but it is a pleasant surprise when it does.

We are so used to these ignorant comments and behaviors about ASL so we just continue to use it and ignore these idiots and move on.

That's why I wont be friends with anyone who belittles ASL.

I wouldn't be friends with anyone who belittles ANY language. Period.

Back