Thinking....hard....

sonocativo

Reaction score
Im thinking about selling the house and buying a plot of land further out with no one around us, I can sell my house up to about 120K, I dont owe much at all so its 99% profit or 50% profit deducting what I put into it.
But I can buy 4 acres with a river frontage at the very far end for $2000 a little further south of me, put a modular or have a real pole barn built with interior finished and still have cash to put away. It will allow hunting on my own property, no restrictions to build anything ( barns, garages, workshop..ect..) and no neighbors except those a few miles down any roads 100's of acres away.... I think Im gonna go for it, my wife likes the idea and wants a horse, i want the open land to enjoy and the woods to hunt, fish in the river...ect... and enjoy some peace and quiet.

hmmm,, you need to consider flood risk, find out its floor area history...thinking hard should be more like thinking through. ...consider may what-ifs, electricity, rates?, hot water?, telephone lines?, internet how? weather robustness of the building, warmth trapping effective as a 'real building...
what say you didnt like it down the track of time, will you be able to sell , like will it be a hard sell? simply because its too radical ? be really honest about it.....

i get thinking like this too.... but yeah don't rush, find out FACTs and find out what would be the REAL problem like pretend you were someone else 'not knowing what they're doing and finding out they want out and can't cus no body wants it 'too cheap' in such a way that it becomes more expensive to get back where you were before housing-situation-wise....

just saying,
good thoughts yes, but be more thought-out in the thinking...like thinking hard sounded almost like 'wishing hard' be wary of that!!
regards

hmmm,, you need to consider flood risk, find out its floor area history...thinking hard should be more like thinking through. ...consider may what-ifs, electricity, rates?, hot water?, telephone lines?, internet how? weather robustness of the building, warmth trapping effective as a 'real building...
what say you didnt like it down the track of time, will you be able to sell , like will it be a hard sell? simply because its too radical ? be really honest about it.....

i get thinking like this too.... but yeah don't rush, find out FACTs and find out what would be the REAL problem like pretend you were someone else 'not knowing what they're doing and finding out they want out and can't cus no body wants it 'too cheap' in such a way that it becomes more expensive to get back where you were before housing-situation-wise....

just saying,
good thoughts yes, but be more thought-out in the thinking...like thinking hard sounded almost like 'wishing hard' be wary of that!!
regards

Yes I have, deeply! I love the idea I can walk out on my own property and have dinner ( Hunting ) as well as grow our garden on a larger scale to feed the family ( cheap and save money) and could even possibly be off the grid with solar. Water would be free as they have wells.
I just recently found 10 acres with a 4 bedroom house for $35,000. Everything is cheaper when you get into the boonies, yet its still easy access to highways and several other options to travel if needed (kinda feels like being a Dooms Day Prepper...lmao but there are no building restrictions so I can build anything and put anything I want on my property (sheds, barns, mobile homes, modular homes...ect...) besides the freedom to own/ride horses and quads...ect...) fish in the river/creeks. And yes, the area is out of the flood plains, that is my #1 concern... My current house is out of the flood plains but everything except 1 road floods and it leads me directly to the highway, my house will never flood as Im on a hill, but the houses below me do get flooded, recently during the bad storms a few months back the creek ran over in front of my house, flooded the funeral home as well as the other houses around it, about 2 or 3 feet deep surrounding the buildings. I just seen the Army Corps of Engineers map at the courthouse wednesday and I am safe... even took a pic.

Attachments

• flood zones home.jpg
    flood zones home.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 14
It sound like a great idea but you should see if someone would be able to build a house close to your land. I knew someone that brought land and thought he would have no one near him and someone brought land near his and build a house.

It sound like a great idea but you should see if someone would be able to build a house close to your land. I knew someone that brought land and thought he would have no one near him and someone brought land near his and build a house.

On 10 acres, I wouldnt care if they built at my property line, I wouldnt see them anyways. With no tresspassing posted theyll get shot then. lol
Besides, the way this is situated, they wouldnt be able to build near the property lines anyways, and One side of the property is all highway frontage ( 2 lane) not a major interstate.

On 10 acres, I wouldnt care if they built at my property line, I wouldnt see them anyways. With no tresspassing posted theyll get shot then. lol
Besides, the way this is situated, they wouldnt be able to build near the property lines anyways, and One side of the property is all highway frontage ( 2 lane) not a major interstate.

Then go for it.

I currently have someone thats going to make a cash offer, waiting to see how that goes before listing. If a cash offer, i can buy and move almost immediately. Plus it gives me a better stance at bargaining having cash in hand as well.
If the sale is anywhere near what Id like to get, then when all is said and done i should also have a nice little chunk to save as well.... Hoping for the best, will soon see.

what about means of getting electricity, and telecommunications on landline as well as internet, sewage, and water? think it through first, oh don't just think, ASK around now, First better to know now than get a shock that it costs ridiculous $$ to hook you on the grid, or if no one would install !!.....
you have good idea but this is also a good idea to make sure you haven't over looked real simple things that might NOT just can't...
i not nagging, im hoping id save you the trouble so you suss everything totally

Who wants highway frontage? Not me.

And yes, with 10 acres you can still see neighbors.

Think about eventual resale. If it borders highway frontage, that might and will likely be tough. No wonder the price is what it is. There's a reason for that.

what about means of getting electricity, and telecommunications on landline as well as internet, sewage, and water? think it through first, oh don't just think, ASK around now, First better to know now than get a shock that it costs ridiculous $$ to hook you on the grid, or if no one would install !!.....
you have good idea but this is also a good idea to make sure you haven't over looked real simple things that might NOT just can't...
i not nagging, im hoping id save you the trouble so you suss everything totally

Completely agree and on it...lol
Most land Ive looked at already have wells for water and electric ( to run the pumps) some have septic tanks others have public connections. Id rather have public connections on the sewage, but well water is excellent for me. If I find the right property, it will be simple to have a basement excavated and poured ( I want one thats extended so its larger than the home for added space for a shop or???) depending on what type of home I decide on to be placed there will be based on how much I actually end up with, prefabbed/Modular or a custom build. Ive already got prices, its just the time it takes to complete and having a place to stay til completion..possibly rent the current house from the new buyers for a month or 2 if a deal can be made? But we both have parents we can stay at til then and place everything into storage til then.

Who wants highway frontage? Not me.

And yes, with 10 acres you can still see neighbors.

No not like you are sitting there looking at it, and like i said (2 lanes) not the 4 lanes+ freeways/interstates, this is backroad country.
With the house more centered you aint gonna see it as its downhill slope, and you wont see your neighbors, not on 10 acres thats wooded... get the whole picture, this is undeveloped land ( used to be a cattle farm ) and this is just a small section of the whole place.

No not like you are sitting there looking at it, and like i said (2 lanes) not the 4 lanes+ freeways/interstates, this is backroad country.
With the house more centered you aint gonna see it as its downhill slope, and you wont see your neighbors, not on 10 acres thats wooded... get the whole picture, this is undeveloped land ( used to be a cattle farm ) and this is just a small section of the whole place.

Regardless if you build a house and move onto the land or not if you can get the 10 acres at a low price grab it property prices always rise eventually and if a town or city expands closer to the area it'll sell for more once other developments start to pop up..

Regardless if you build a house and move onto the land or not if you can get the 10 acres at a low price grab it property prices always rise eventually and if a town or city expands closer to the area it'll sell for more once other developments start to pop up..

Yep, right now 10 acres for a drop in the bucket, cheaper getting the bigger plot than the 3 acres ( mathmatically ) and the payments are super cheap if I just want to finance it... but saves money to pay cash without the finance charges. If I play my cards correctly i will also have a nice chunk to invest in the bank too in the end. Just waiting to see what this cash offer is. they asked what I was asking and I told them Im negotiable as i have a set rock bottom price ( Cost of loan, my time and money put into it along with what the surrounding market is ) so if I get close to my asking price I came out like a king, if I get a little more than the total of everything invested I came out ahead. So when they asked what my rock bottom would be I simply told them i had a price in mind and that will be determined upon their offer and any negotiation we do when the time comes.... so if the price is right I will sell. i am not going to set a rock bottom to get low balled right off the bat. Besides, it has to be enough to make it worth my while. So next weekend i will be finishing up a few things in the house so its ready to sell or put on the market depending on how this plays out. If worst case, Ill stay another year .

This is one of the more expensive, nicer plots
0 Hwy 67 De Soto, MO 63020 | MLS# 14028849 | Coldwell Banker
But the others I have in mind have the wells and public septic as well as electric already in place with no building restrictions, so once I get something built it will be grandfathered anytime the area actually develops. Id like a big house or a decent sized house with a cool barn/workshop.

Hoping to go look at a plot today, just to see whats on it and if there is access. I researched last night on having a water well dug/installed as well as a septic system as worst case... between $2000 to $20,000 each depending on size of septic system and how deep the well needs to be for good flow. In the general area most are running right around $6000 for both installed. I also found out my property is valued a little higher than I thought ( because of the land area ) so that will give me an upper hand on a sale price....

How far is the road is the plot , I was thinking if your dog was go after an animal could he get a far as the road.

The road is down a slope, bordered by a guardrail.
Just found out the land is 50% level the rest is wooded and rugged with a wet weather creek. There is no road to the property, it is in back of other farm lands so I would need to request an easement or petition the highway department to remove the section of guardrail and install an access point then I will be responsible for a road/path onto my property from the access point. There is no well/sewage/power to this plot so it will actually be too expensive to build although the land would be awesome to have for hunting. We are debating getting it as its so cheap and holding onto it awhile? Found another property 5 acres for $25,000 with public water/sewer/gas and electric already in place. Also has a concrete pad for a house, carport and barn already set up and ready to build.... which would be cheap for a modular home. BUT, I want a basement, not a slab.
Going to talk with the agent soon and give her some statictics on what Im looking for and see what she can find. Just found out today her dad is deaf so she knows ASL. getting to be a small world out here for people who know ASL. My wife just made a new friend at work who is deaf and knows ASL also, we are all supposed to go to dinner one night and also going to a deaf social together in a few weeks.

WizardofidMay452002.jpg

Back