Things starting to work out

JKB315

Reaction score
I was growing frustrated with my implant last month. I missed my scheduled mapping because of the snow. I still have not been back but am glad I waited. In the last 3 weeks alone, I have made huge progress. I am understanding the tv without the captions. I am hearing people better than ever. At work I sometimes have my head turned and understand exactly what people are saying. I had to take a training class for crane safety.

The guy tried to see if the video had captions so I could understand it. It did not and I told him I would try to hear it. I heard EVERY word of the video without any problem at all. I passed the test easily. My friend said the volume was low too. I was shocked.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share. I still have days where I want to throw the thing away because I don't understand someone. But looking back, my life has improved so much there is zero regret.

Congratulations JKB! That's great to hear! What type of hearing loss did you have (sensorineural, etc.) and how long did you have the loss before getting the implant?

I was growing frustrated with my implant last month. I missed my scheduled mapping because of the snow. I still have not been back but am glad I waited. In the last 3 weeks alone, I have made huge progress. I am understanding the tv without the captions. I am hearing people better than ever. At work I sometimes have my head turned and understand exactly what people are saying. I had to take a training class for crane safety.

The guy tried to see if the video had captions so I could understand it. It did not and I told him I would try to hear it. I heard EVERY word of the video without any problem at all. I passed the test easily. My friend said the volume was low too. I was shocked.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share. I still have days where I want to throw the thing away because I don't understand someone. But looking back, my life has improved so much there is zero regret.
That is awesome! I am so glad things are working out for you. It's a cool feeling isn't it? Mine was driving home in the car and realizing the song on the radio was Paul Simon's 50 ways to leave your lover and I could understand every word of the chorus. I still need captions for some things on TV, but understand most of it without. It's like some voices are just "off" and I can't make heads or tails w/o captions.

The first time I realized that I could understand speech was when I was laying in bed listening to a talk radio program. Out of the blue I heard 50% of what a caller said including the words, "Iraq" and "President Bush." It was then that I realized the topic being discussed was the war in Iraq. :)

Thats great, Yesterday it was the first time i heard my Aunt talking without visual!!! and i was driving... i couldn't contain myself!! LOL...

Thanks all. Last night I was in the bathroom all the way across the house and I heard my gf telling my dog to lay down. It was so clear I thought she was in the bathroom.

People at work keep telling me my voice is so much more clear. They also stop talking when I look away doing something. I tell them to keep talking because I can understand them. They are used to making sure I read lips.

To the question above, I had progressive high frequency hearing loss (I don't know the clinical term for it) in both ears from the time I was 7. I lost it due to a allergic reaction to Bactrum medication. (My doctor claimed otherwise to cover his butt)

Thats excellent, similar to what i have been experincing at the moment, at the moment we are sanding down fibre glass boats and we are in full kit of masks and googles. I said to my work collegue to talk to me with mask on and i would have to think hard to see what he's saying, so far i got... I think it's time for a cuppa, thats when i said I think so too!! he moved the mask and smiled, he was really chuffed about it.. we are doing more tomorrow.

My voice is also very clear (according to many people), soft and quieter!

People have also told me that my voice sounds much clearer than it did before my CIs. They say it has lilt and I no longer sound like I can't hear. (i.e. slurred speech, mispronouncing words, speaking loudly) It's a nice change for the better. :)

Same here..people that didn't know me before say I sound different. Those that did know me before say they are glad I sound like myself again.

my mum still cant understand that i can hear her without looking so she gets mad at me if i look away

Back