#theriseofgallaudet

That's a good project. Good for the Student Body Government for doing it.

i love that one about just bc I am a new signer doesn't mean im hearing that's cool. bc THATS me

i love that one about just bc I am a new signer doesn't mean im hearing that's cool. bc THATS me

This is about Deaf perspective that the hearing people don't understand us. You as a hearing person are trying to make us change to your perspective as a hearing person. There is no way for us, Deafies and HOH, to be like a hearing person. I am very blunt on this.

Gallaudet University is all about Deaf people showing expression of freedom to be themselves as a Deaf person, not be someone else. :cool2:

This is about Deaf perspective that the hearing people don't understand us. You as a hearing person are trying to make us change to your perspective as a hearing person. There is no way for us, Deafies and HOH, to be like a hearing person. I am very blunt on this.

Gallaudet University is all about Deaf people showing expression of freedom to be themselves as a Deaf person, not be someone else. :cool2:

i hope you dont think thats what I was saying, but i agree. this is why I want to attend Gallaudet

What does living with intersections mean?
Never seen that term before, or if I had I haven't retained it

Gally is Awesome, granted it looks like it changed much since hoichi im so itchy graced it's hallowed halls.
Still
I bleed gally

living with intersections just means that you are "a part of many different worlds at the same time"

-- like bi-racial/mixed race- Asian and black or black/white
-- like deaf/hearing- a lot of hard of hearing people fit this.
-- like being deaf and gay/bi/trans*
-- like being deaf and blind or low vision/vision impaired

and to take Deaf out of the equation- some examples would be gay & muslim, disabled and & gay, Jewish & Black...

or even-- Deaf, Vietnamese, gay AND deaf-blind... Chinese, muslim and disabled.

so- a mixing of cultures, "worlds"- 'differences' - many times some cultures/ideals that society doesn't think should belong together.

Ok. Never seen that term before but maybe mmmmmm it does tend to get wrapped up in lebels though, while important can become a rather tough straight jacket to shake off
But then it also mixes races up with life choices or disabilities,
A very long menu list
I know I know I know
Academia is a poetry dish of all the above but really?
I'm not to sure I understand what the end goal is
For me I could state
As I always do
Born hearie, DEaF at 9' Italian citizen, canadian citizen, pugliee terroni foggiese Italiano, aerodyne Belfast ulster right to the entitlement of abode in the uk, felon, straight, 10 % gypsie! vagabond........
I can go on but I'm curious as to why I should or why so much lebels matter for me.....
Just a thought experiment that's all
If anything so much lebels and their acceptance almost proves racist arguments in a strange way
Think it through

makes sense but i wonder if that is why they do projects like these.. to break down the use of 'labels' and to get people to see that there is nothing 'wrong' with being different as it were.. break down the fears that so many people seem to have-- or even ignorance (a lot of the statements I see in this series and others like the Harvard one show that comments made to them are likely based out of ignorance and fear rather than idiocy.

Definitely does make you think and your points are valid.

Back