thedeafcommunity.org controversy

what is identity, what does it really do for you? just a T-shirt you must have to be in a cult?

what is identity, what does it really do for you? just a T-shirt you must have to be in a cult?

Nope, just for people who want to feel connected with others. People who don't want an identity tend to be anti social.

Nope, just for people who want to feel connected with others. People who don't want an identity tend to be anti social.

what really?
people who dont have an identity nor want it, is anti social?! i dont think so, like lets say someone is identity with catholic and another is protestant, and they kill each other, hows that for antisocial with 'identity'

identity is a personal thing or a group thing?

what really?
people who dont have an identity nor want it, is anti social?! i dont think so, like lets say someone is identity with catholic and another is protestant, and they kill each other, hows that for antisocial with 'identity'

the key word here is "tend"....

We are talking about labels for different communities, correct? If one doesn't want to connect with others due to labels, then they are probably most likely not interested in being with others hence being anti-social.

Being in a Catholic group and getting together to kill another group is not anti-social because the people in the Catholic group are socializing with each other, right?

U implied that if one wants to belong in a group or a community with labels, that is considered wanting to belong in a cult. I don't know how people wanting to be identified with the Deaf community as being in a cult.

Last edited:
I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with self-identity or identifying with a certain group, it is how we develop. Identities reflect what we value or see as valuable. The problem comes when we impose identities on others (labelling) or we insist others see us in the exact manner we see ourselves.

the key word here is "tend"....

We are talking about labels for different communities, correct? If one doesn't want to connect with others due to labels, then they are probably most likely not interested in being with others hence being anti-social.

Being in a Catholic group and getting together to kill another group is not anti-social because the people in the Catholic group are socializing with each other, right?

U implied that if one wants to belong in a group or a community with labels, that is considered wanting to belong in a cult. I don't know how people wanting to be identified with the Deaf community as being in a cult.

hey i'd stop this for now, I dont want to start a fight with you, because we do agree alot on things and I cherish that freindship. All i was doing is trying to 'get past' OUR OWN (yes, you and me, and other like minded/opinated d/Deaf people) construction of what 'identity' means, put other way, it is a trend that doesnt just sprout up on its own, nor it was 'given permission' for us to own a right, assume our own identity (which is good, but)..I just want to challenge myself by asking (and challenging you) what it really is, and why is it there...I was getting abit too abstract (for now)...so i'd leave it at that, for now. Put another way, i wanted to poke in at the philosophical construct of it, in hope to see if, there's anythng we can do better to give it more strength in the concept of identity because lately I have seen, mainstream is rife and so is cochlear implant in young deaf people, it is quite alarming...and to tell truth i have a deep seated suspicion it's 'there' (Identity) so those in the organisation which 'provides interpreting services', 'social work service -is there any? or all died out already?!?, and other associated empowerment/or legal protectionism for in place for Deaf people AND conferences and forums, liftstyle exhibitions? like its just a show but doesnt REALLY help alot? and its the hearings whos funding and thus controlling and ultimately ... profiting from us!...like deaf culture has 'became' another industry... FOR hearing (and some 'handpicked/shouldered-tapped' deafs to work for them (because they will do what they're told- even when ethics are questionable "as in refusing to help Deaf clients when situation got bad...) sound familiar??
so
yeah that's why i was challengeing the 'identity' loyality is a two edged sword , its nice to belong but it also opens us to be preyed on as 'we are identified' (by them) as numbers, statistics, a group to influence....

thats all
so no, Id stop here and 'rest my case' doesnt mean to say ' i won' no not at all
i just think its too early, and partly its unneccessary to ask now (so now i thought//realised)

Cheers

hey i'd stop this for now, I dont want to start a fight with you, because we do agree alot on things and I cherish that freindship. All i was doing is trying to 'get past' OUR OWN (yes, you and me, and other like minded/opinated d/Deaf people) construction of what 'identity' means, put other way, it is a trend that doesnt just sprout up on its own, nor it was 'given permission' for us to own a right, assume our own identity (which is good, but)..I just want to challenge myself by asking (and challenging you) what it really is, and why is it there...I was getting abit too abstract (for now)...so i'd leave it at that, for now. Put another way, i wanted to poke in at the philosophical construct of it, in hope to see if, there's anythng we can do better to give it more strength in the concept of identity because lately I have seen, mainstream is rife and so is cochlear implant in young deaf people, it is quite alarming...and to tell truth i have a deep seated suspicion it's 'there' (Identity) so those in the organisation which 'provides interpreting services', 'social work service -is there any? or all died out already?!?, and other associated empowerment/or legal protectionism for in place for Deaf people AND conferences and forums, liftstyle exhibitions? like its just a show but doesnt REALLY help alot? and its the hearings whos funding and thus controlling and ultimately ... profiting from us!...like deaf culture has 'became' another industry... FOR hearing (and some 'handpicked/shouldered-tapped' deafs to work for them (because they will do what they're told- even when ethics are questionable "as in refusing to help Deaf clients when situation got bad...) sound familiar??
so
yeah that's why i was challengeing the 'identity' loyality is a two edged sword , its nice to belong but it also opens us to be preyed on as 'we are identified' (by them) as numbers, statistics, a group to influence....

thats all
so no, Id stop here and 'rest my case' doesnt mean to say ' i won' no not at all
i just think its too early, and partly its unneccessary to ask now (so now i thought//realised)

Cheers
we can fight and still have a good friendship.....PPPPPPPPPPPPPPTHHHHHHHHHH!

Cheers!

we can fight and still have a good friendship.....PPPPPPPPPPPPPPTHHHHHHHHHH!

Cheers!

:lol::laugh2::laugh2: got me on that one! yes, bantering!
but yah it can get bitter....its stil too early...I havent formulated anything (not in order to win, more to make it worth while)

:cheers:

now, id better stop mucking about, time to get back on my essay...

what really?

"identity" is a social cultural phenomenon. typically - an "identity" is formed when more than one person share a common interest.

do I identify myself as American or Asian-American? as deaf or HOH?

last night in Boston, I had a talk with this very interesting deaf girl from California. She is a very mixed gal - 5 races so I asked her what does she identify herself as. She said "Latino".

everybody expresses their self-identity in various ways - conspicuously or inconspicuously - tshirt, tattoo, car sticker, certain fashion style, gesture, etc.

Right now, I identify myself as a very tired and sore working mother. Iam sure there are groups for that but if a lazy, beer drinking man created a website called workingwomen.org, that would be wrong for him to hide behind his true identity and profess to speak for all the working women, heh?

Right now, I identify myself as a very tired and sore working mother. Iam sure there are groups for that but if a lazy, beer drinking man created a website called workingwomen.org, that would be wrong for him to hide behind his true identity and profess to speak for all the working women, heh?

:rofl: :yesway: :dunno: :type: :beer:

New link for "thedeafcommunity.org: An investigative report"

Thank you, AlleyCat, for sharing my video and to everyone else for participating thoughtfully in this discussion. Unfortunately, the version on YouTube has been taken down. We reposted it with the generous support of SignCasts, and it is now available at the following link: "thedeafcommunity.org: An investigative report." (The video itself takes a few seconds to load onto the page, so bear with it)

I strongly believe that the community deserves full access to factual investigative journalism that provokes debate about various topics, including representation and organizational transparency. So we've made sure that this video will continue to be accessible to the community.

We will move the ASL version over to SignCasts shortly, as well. Please stay tuned for the new link. In the meantime, the ASL version is still up on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feO5IDJ9_3s. Probably not for much longer, though.

Thank you for your support (or, if not, at least thoughtful dissension! :) ).

- Tara Congdon

Thoughts?

thedeafcommunity.org: An investigative report - YouTube

This is an 8-minute video with the results of an investigation into thedeafcommunity.org.

The description below the video:

After receiving several tips from various individuals, journalist Tara Schupner Congdon worked with a team of researchers and IT technicians to investigate My Business - Home, its origins and its administrators. They discovered that the website was privately registered by Tina Morris, a hearing mother of a deaf boy with bilateral cochlear implants who uses the LSLS/oral method. Morris is a strong advocate of auditory-verbal/LSLS/oral education. Various pieces of evidence, collected in this video, suggest Morris set up this site to back a change.org petition supporting two Florida bills that some groups argue will funnel funding for all deaf children to private AVT/LSLS schools for the deaf. Obviously, administrators of thedeafcommunity.org must be much more transparent and forthcoming in order to better determine the validity of this website and petition.

Thank you, AlleyCat, for sharing my video and to everyone else for participating thoughtfully in this discussion. Unfortunately, the version on YouTube has been taken down. We reposted it with the generous support of SignCasts, and it is now available at the following link: "thedeafcommunity.org: An investigative report." (The video itself takes a few seconds to load onto the page, so bear with it)

I strongly believe that the community deserves full access to factual investigative journalism that provokes debate about various topics, including representation and organizational transparency. So we've made sure that this video will continue to be accessible to the community.

We will move the ASL version over to SignCasts shortly, as well. Please stay tuned for the new link. In the meantime, the ASL version is still up on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feO5IDJ9_3s. Probably not for much longer, though.

Thank you for your support (or, if not, at least thoughtful dissension! :) ).

- Tara Congdon

?????? why would it be taken down from YouTube? ridiculous!

:ty: for your hard work in exposing this dishonesty.

?????? why would it be taken down from YouTube? ridiculous!

:ty: for your hard work in exposing this dishonesty.

Numerous privacy complaints were filed against the video, which resulted in it being taken down. While I understand that perspective because some personal information was indeed revealed, everything in that video was collected from the public domain and thus fair game and essential to identifying the person who built the site (and her motives). I have my thoughts about YouTube's actions - including that most news videos that identify people (including in cases of misconduct) remain posted regardless of whether those people like it or not - but it is what it is and we found alternatives. I hope some day journalism by and for the community will reach the same level of respect that mainstream media gets in terms of validity and distribution.

And, you're welcome :)

Thanks Jayhawk,

Rooting for ya, we need to have THAT ONE THE NEWS!! go talk to the TV STATIONS, GO on I DARE YOU, make make it I ORDER YA

Back