The very worst kind of lift-off close call

When I was younger I use to undercoat cars at a new car dealer which requred me to put them on a lift. I had a band new Datsun pickup fall off the lift. Fortunately I was not hurt but I can't say the same for the truck.
Working with a car on a lift can be a dangerous if you don't understand what you are doing. Procedures have to be followed and safety is the name of the game. As one very lucky mechanic learned, even when something looks centered on a lift, it may not be safe.

Timing is, as we often hear, everything in life. The guy in this video should feel pretty good that the other person came in to talk to him. Otherwise he might have been the meat in a Dodge Ram/Concrete floor sandwich. Slip off the jump to see why garage lifts require that you always stay alert when a vehicle is in the air. Thanks for the tip, IHateAirplanes!

Damn! Lucky mechanics made it out alive. Looks like old fashioned style lift....

from what I heard, it's not the issue of old or modern lift. It was because the truck slipped off the plate. Notice that left-rear side started to slip and then whole thing fell down. See pix below for an example. It's just a pure freak incident.

s9f-big.jpg

from what I heard, it's not the issue of old or modern lift. It was because the truck slipped off the plate. Notice that left-rear side started to slip and then whole thing fell down. See pix below for an example. It's just a pure freak incident.

s9f-big.jpg

LOL! Like posts from hell said you worked with lifts before?

This is perfect SAFE and it have safely lock. From what you heard was human error. Like you put lift of under vehicles at wrong area then vehicles will fall. I use that kind of lift for thousand times for F350, Suburban, Silverado,Dodge RAM, etc and no problem with it.

DAMN DAMN is all I can say. If it was MY truck and I was THERE...man...they would better P R A Y that cops would be there in a quick second (after I verify no one was hurt) to keep me AWAY from who was responsible. If the cops wasnt there in a quick second....it would be death row for me!!

Highlander. It is not safety lock. I agree with Jiro that he says it was slipped off the lift rack. The guy who worked on a Dodge truck is an idiot for not support the lift points on the frame or wrong position of the support pads.
I did lifting this same truck on the hydraulic rack post, real dangerous if you rock or wake the truck. My work (Shell gas station) have 2- one post hyd lift racks (in ground) and one electric 2 post lift.

BIGGEST DUMB.

Not check when truck up 1" then rocket to make sure it hold. I alway do that before lift up.

That hoist not bad. We still have them here that still use everyday.

BIGGEST DUMB.

Not check when truck up 1" then rocket to make sure it hold. I alway do that before lift up.

rocket? That's worse! When truck hit the rocket then boom!
:giggle:

BIGGEST DUMB.

:lol:, hey did you see an object fall out from the rack arm right rear side where the truck started to slipping out. It looks like pipe or block. I think he shimmed
the object (pipe or block) on the lift pad to level the truck before lift. Maybe broken flip pad?
I did shimmed hard wood blocks on the rear lift pads to level the Dodge van/truck and lifted about 2 inches off the ground for wheel removal for brake inspection and also place floor jacks under the lifted frame in case of slipping while work on brakes or oil/filter changes.

Highlander. It is not safety lock. I agree with Jiro that he says it was slipped off the lift rack. The guy who worked on a Dodge truck is an idiot for not support the lift points on the frame or wrong position of the support pads.
I did lifting this same truck on the hydraulic rack post, real dangerous if you rock or wake the truck. My work (Shell gas station) have 2- one post hyd lift racks (in ground) and one electric 2 post lift.

Yeah, should be human error.

Some trucks that you can point on the frame. That's what my Instructor and my manger said so. Rules, Once you lift the vehicle up around 1 feet away from the floor then shake on the vehicle's front to make sure it dont get loose then lift up fully. Everyone use hammer on suspension's bolt or rim to take out due rust. If you don't rock it then how you check suspension system and steering system? I just wonder.

Yeah. What's diff between hydraulic lift racks and electric post lift?

Can you show me a picture that you talk about.

post-mac2lift.jpg

I use it for tire repair, tire rotation, brake system,suspension, etc.

44030_new.png

Not exactly same picture but almost enough.
Use it for wheel alignment, oil, flush transmission, etc.

So you see that kind of lift from video do not have safety life which is dangerous. Right?

Yeah, should be human error.

Some trucks that you can point on the frame. That's what my Instructor and my manger said so. Rules, Once you lift the vehicle up around 1 feet away from the floor then shake on the vehicle's front to make sure it dont get loose then lift up fully. Everyone use hammer on suspension's bolt or rim to take out due rust. If you don't rock it then how you check suspension system and steering system? I just wonder.

Yeah. What's diff between hydraulic lift racks and electric post lift?

Can you show me a picture that you talk about.

post-mac2lift.jpg

I use it for tire repair, tire rotation, brake system,suspension, etc.

44030_new.png

Not exactly same picture but almost enough.
Use it for wheel alignment, oil, flush transmission, etc.

So you see that kind of lift from video do not have safety life which is dangerous. Right?

Red lift racks you show is 2 post lift rack (yellow arms) and 4 post lift rack,
both racks are using electric powdered to pump hydraulic oil to feed to the cylinders. They are more safe and popular, more comfy to work on tranny or drivelines or gas tank. 4 post lift racks are found in muffler shops or truck shops.

the YT clip that you show is a hydraulic lift post in ground that powered by air compressor. They are dangerous. Also my gas station's sister stations have
2- 2 post hydraulic lift racks in ground and one post hyd lift rack. One electric 2 post lift on outside of the station. Hydraulic 2 post lift racks in ground are more safe than single post like YT clip shown.

Either the vehicle was not properly centered on the lift or the lift was placed under something that gave way. It doesn't matter what kind of lift you use (unless it is a drive on ramp type lift) if the vehicle is not properly centered, accidents can happen. It's more about where the center of gravity is on the vehicle and not necessarily that it is visually centered. Or if the lift is placed under a portion of the vehicle that can't support the weight it may give way. Or if it's placed under a portion of the vehicle that is compromised say due to excessive rust that could also cause it to give way. I wish there was audio in the video because that may reveal additional clues. To me it really looks like something gave way.

it was idoits fault. watch it as it falls you see block of wood fall that was supporting it as it wouldn't fit on lift properly... so he jerry rigged it..

dumb ass!
Yeah. Insane. I can tell this guy is not a pro mechanic. That is how he screwed up a Dodge truck. Lucky. he is alive.

Either the vehicle was not properly centered on the lift or the lift was placed under something that gave way. It doesn't matter what kind of lift you use (unless it is a drive on ramp type lift) if the vehicle is not properly centered, accidents can happen. It's more about where the center of gravity is on the vehicle and not necessarily that it is visually centered. Or if the lift is placed under a portion of the vehicle that can't support the weight it may give way. Or if it's placed under a portion of the vehicle that is compromised say due to excessive rust that could also cause it to give way. I wish there was audio in the video because that may reveal additional clues. To me it really looks like something gave way.

Yes, sound exact explain. Good post thumb up

Highlander, I forget to address you about the check suspension. Only you see the repair invoice what a customer complains loose or noisy front end, is lift the vehicle about 2 inches off the ground, rock the vehicle to make sure it is stability and secure before rocket, check the front tires with a long pry under the tire, to test it for excessive play and wiggle the tire to check rod ends or links or steering box. Then lift it high as you feel comfy to work on the wheels or inspect the front end what you look for.

it was idoits fault. watch it as it falls you see block of wood fall that was supporting it as it wouldn't fit on lift properly... so he jerry rigged it..

dumb ass!
Great eye mx... I didn't see that until I read your post. That could be exactly what gave way. A piece of wood can't hold the weight of a truck. Most lifts have an end piece that can be flipped up and it's made of sturdy metal but it does look like this guy used a block of wood instead.

Back