The Talking Deafie

They have smoother, stiffer faces, because they don't use them like signers.

:giggle: that is true. my mom keeps telling me not to move my eyebrows so excessively or I would have more wrinkles. I am not sure if shes right about it. :hmm:

matajan: speechreading as such has nothing to do with your speaking but does try to understand someone speaking to YOU. From your hearing plus grasping "lip movement formation of visemes"-constants pbm etc. Paying attention to the context of what is being spoken. Of course, one can't speechread sounds down the "others throat" which in the end is why one can't grasped everything being spoken.
That is my understanding from taking Speechreading classes at Cdn Hearing Society/Toronto.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Some hearing people are expressive though. Some are more expressive than others.

I remember seeming some hearing people guestering a lot and as they came closer to me, I realized they were using ASL. :Oops:

I remember seeming some hearing people guestering a lot and as they came closer to me, I realized they were using ASL. :Oops:
Some people tend to use their hand / facial expressions and body language more than others. While others are kind of guarded and do most of the communicating through auditory means. There are different factors involved such as genetics, ethnicity, environmental, family characteristics or traits, sense preferences/strengths, etc.

Some people tend to use their hand / facial expressions and body language more than others. While others are kind of guarded and do most of the communicating through auditory means. There are different factors involved such as genetics, ethnicity, environmental, family characteristics or traits, sense preferences/strengths, etc.

All very true.

The hardest part to explain to those who can't hear/understand speech is that there is a multiplicity of nuances to clue in on. There is the words themselves, then it is the contextual aspect, then there is the tone, how it is being said, what is being stressed (wordwise) then lastly there is the gestural aspect.

Even without the gestural part, one can gleam a great deal of information from speech alone. A good storyteller using speech has many tools to spin a yarn that one can believe they are actually "there" in the story in their imagination.

True. I thought at first that was the case here till they came closer.

I read that experts say that only 30% of the English language can be deciphered with lip reading. Not very good odds for following speech. When I read lips, I rely on visual cues and context. Problem is that sometimes I get busted for following along while hoping to pick up ideas from the context.

What is alternate to trying speechreading-do nothing/ignore if one has a hearing loss?

What is alternate to trying speechreading-do nothing/ignore if one has a hearing loss?

I bet you're thinking.... CI :giggle:

Sorry if this is late but I'm new here and yes, I'm oral deaf =P
I'm deaf and use sign language as my first mean of communication but I can use speaking too

Sorry if this is late but I'm new here and yes, I'm oral deaf =P
I'm deaf and use sign language as my first mean of communication but I can use speaking too

Actually, the word is primary. ASL or Sign Language is our primary language. We should all sign. As for oral, we were forced to be in the mainstream schools years ago and today. The hearing people refused to listen to us when we asked them for sign language like ASL. That is how we struggle trying to understand in the hearing world. If you can understand them by lipreading, but again this lipreading skills is not accurate and still get lost when you don't understand what they said. So good for you that you have keep up with your sign language which is important to understand what other people said by having an ASL interpreters. So welcome to AD and learn about what every one said here. Enjoy. :wave:

I started taking speech when I was about 4 years old, and I stopped taking speech in my last year of high school until my last day of high school. I can talk pretty well, I think that I have a small deaf accent when there are certain words i can't say, like railroad or jewelry; especially jewelry. But when there are words i can't say, my dad would help me out by allowing me to put my hands on his throat and feel the vibrations as he's pronouncing it. I have severe hearing loss and have bilateral cochlear implants. But i had hearing aids before i was implanted on my right side, even before i was implanted on my left ear before 8 years old.

Born profoundly deaf, I can't talk on the phone but I can communicate with the hearing world. I even used to work at a flea market selling stuff and right now I'm a computer programmer and work with coworkers who are hearing. Yay me!

I have 2 cochlear implants and I am oral. I rely on lip-reading but I do have auditory processing so I ask questions to be sure of what I am doing or what i could be doing.

The thing is I don't know if I have a deaf accent. I have some friends at my school, 2 is hoh and 2 has cochlear implants. I noticed one friend has an accent and I actually liked her's. :d

Wirelessly posted

i wasn't born deaf became deaf a few years ago due to accident i speak more than sign and read lips

Back