The state of New York has nine deaf schools

New York is a big state :D not that is an affirmative answer, still..... :D

I lived in SW Kansas for a while. Our deaf students went to Olathe if they needed a Deaf school. That is an unconscionable distance for maintaining family ties. Smaller Deaf schools would be better. Of course, New York has the population for more schools.

Last edited:
PA has 3. One in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Scranton. Those places are all about 4 - 5 hour drives from each other. And they're all on farther edges of the state. If you live in the central part of the state you have to drive 2-3 hours to get to a deaf school. Although a decent number of high schools here have a Deaf and HoH program within the school district. 9 schools though? That sounds better than my states 3.

PA has 3. One in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Scranton. Those places are all about 4 - 5 hour drives from each other. And they're all on farther edges of the state. If you live in the central part of the state you have to drive 2-3 hours to get to a deaf school. Although a decent number of high schools here have a Deaf and HoH program within the school district. 9 schools though? That sounds better than my states 3.
In cities, they have enough students to have good deaf programs. In rural areas, it becomes very difficult. What happens if an immigrant child with no language arrives in a rural district? That requires an intensive program; small districts don't have the resources.

I live in Central New York. Nine school for the Deaf? I think you are thinking of historic numbers of schools. Let's count that I know that are still running as we speak: New York State School for the Deaf at Rome, New York School for the Deaf in White Plains (Fanwood), Rochester School for the Deaf. St. Mary's School for the Deaf. Also Lexington School for the Deaf as well as St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf and St. Joseph's School for the Deaf. That is seven. I recalled Mill Neck was one but it had ceased operations a good number of years ago. Any others in NYS still running? If not, taht means seven. Not nine. The other you may thought of was Malone School for the Deaf (way up north. In the head of the Adirondacks by Canadian Border). Well, that is all I know. If you want to count Programs for the Deaf that is fine. Each city has their own program including BOCES program in Syracuse, and I heard that there is one in Albany and perhaps Watertown and Binghamton.

Back