The problems of covering that drywall seams

Buffalo

Reaction score
I am stuck at this. I want to improve my mobile home. The walls are drywalled and the seams were covered by thin strips of wood (strips itself were covered by white paper). I hate that so I removed all the wood strips.

I was told to put joint compound on the seam and then paper it over with a roll of paper and cover the paper with more of joint compound. I thought I did it okay. The problem became apparent when it dried. The paper curled. Where did I go wrong???

A guy told me that he didn't put any joint compound on first.... he just sprayed the wall with fine mist of water. He then papered it and put joint compound over it. I haven't tried that. I thought I need to put joint compound on first because the drywall panels were not exactly flushed with each other.

How do I solve it without ending up with 'speed bumps' on the walls? Any help would be very very much appreciated!!

I am stuck at this. I want to improve my mobile home. The walls are drywalled and the seams were covered by thin strips of wood (strips itself were covered by white paper). I hate that so I removed all the wood strips.

I was told to put joint compound on the seam and then paper it over with a roll of paper and cover the paper with more of joint compound. I thought I did it okay. The problem became apparent when it dried. The paper curled. Where did I go wrong???

A guy told me that he didn't put any joint compound on first.... he just sprayed the wall with fine mist of water. He then papered it and put joint compound over it. I haven't tried that. I thought I need to put joint compound on first because the drywall panels were not exactly flushed with each other.

How do I solve it without ending up with 'speed bumps' on the walls? Any help would be very very much appreciated!!

The seems are most likely to big for paper tape and there was probably not enough joint compound. Use mesh tape instead. For smooth walls you may have to put 3 or 4 coats of joint compound on. Do it smoothly like and push from the outside in. Otherwise you will be sanding for a week.

It takes practice to become expert, one coat is not enough, usually need total of three coats of mud. Mud is just slang for joint compound.

It takes practice to become good at drywalling. Do a small section for that until you get the hang of it. It sounds like the seams are rather wide, so mesh instead of paper may be your best bet. Hang in there, you can do it! :)
Tools Needed for Drywall | eHow.com

Yep, use mesh tape. Also, take a box cutter and cut and peel away the top layer of the drywall where the tape will fit in. That way, the tape will be flush with the surface of the drywall, and you won't see any raised bump after you spread the joint compound.

In my experience (living in a mobile home for 14 years) make sure that you use the right product. Things change with vinyl wrapped drywall. That's what I had and I could not get rid of the furring strips because of it.

In my experience (living in a mobile home for 14 years) make sure that you use the right product. Things change with vinyl wrapped drywall. That's what I had and I could not get rid of the furring strips because of it.

Kitchen and bathrooms have that kind of walls so I am leaving those alone. Yes, there are furring strips on them.

Back