The Naida saga continues...

DeafDoc1

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have had my Naidas for just over a year. Twice the left one has gone "dead" when it is touched or tapped, requiring me to open and close the battery cover to get it to turn on. Phonak tried once to fix it, then replaced it last Spring. Well, now my right one is doing the same thing. Saw my audie today who is sending it in for repairs. She has all the settings on my aids maxed out, and I barely hear environmental sounds. In fact, I don't think I hear anything on the left anymore. She said it was moot if I'd lost the last remnants of my hearing, and said it wasn't even worth doing an audiogram again. Good--I hate audiograms. Bummer--bye bye hearing.

On the flip side, I've met an incredible new family and community of Deaf/deaf, HOH, terps, CODAs, and ADers. Thanks to all of you for the support on this journey. :ty:

See your life was enriched by us! Now go tell the latedeafened people the same.

Been a while since I saw you posting. Do you have any plans to get CI someday? Id get CI if my ears went dead, but that's my choice. If one of your ears is dead, could you use the HA that isn't defective in your better ear? What are sounds like in your worse ear or is it just vibrotactile? Is your better ear still getting worse? As for audiograms, I love getting those, haha.

See your life was enriched by us! Now go tell the latedeafened people the same.

Thanks, Bott. :ty: I've met some really supportive people through ALDA (Association of Late Deafened Adults) who feel the same as I do. I think it just takes a longer time for some people to come to that understanding...and some never will.

Been a while since I saw you posting. Do you have any plans to get CI someday? Id get CI if my ears went dead, but that's my choice. If one of your ears is dead, could you use the HA that isn't defective in your better ear? What are sounds like in your worse ear or is it just vibrotactile? Is your better ear still getting worse? As for audiograms, I love getting those, haha.

Hi, DD. Yes, took a break from AD for a time, too many personal health issues to deal with.

No, I'm not really interested in a CI, at least right now. I think it's a great technology for some, but not for me. And my worse ear may be more vibration than sound perception. It's pretty useless. My better ear is barely better. I basically only wear my HAs to work now. Never when I'm out with Deaf friends, terps, etc.

I totally know how frustrating it is to have that understanding and the lose it. The frustrating part of me is that some days I have the understanding and other days I don't. My hearing fluctuates and it drives me absolutely nuts. I wish my ears would either just call it quits for good!

My naida problems have subsided a bit, but my FM cuts in and out all the time when I am using it which drives me nuts. THey haven't spontaneously turned off in a while though. I probably shouldn't say that....

I totally know how frustrating it is to have that understanding and the lose it. The frustrating part of me is that some days I have the understanding and other days I don't. My hearing fluctuates and it drives me absolutely nuts. I wish my ears would either just call it quits for good!

My naida problems have subsided a bit, but my FM cuts in and out all the time when I am using it which drives me nuts. THey haven't spontaneously turned off in a while though. I probably shouldn't say that....

There may be a current update regarding FM and how it works in the SoundFlow program. I am waiting for my audi to update her iPFG software to version 2.5 so I can get my update....

Let me rephrase this...There is a current update :D

There may be a current update regarding FM and how it works in the SoundFlow program. I am waiting for my audi to update her iPFG software to version 2.5 so I can get my update....

Let me rephrase this...There is a current update :D

Ah- but here is the thing...I don't use EasyFM, which means it cuts in and out in an FM program!

Ah- but here is the thing...I don't use EasyFM, which means it cuts in and out in an FM program!

I don't know if this will help the situation or not, as I know it's supposed to fix the SoundFlow situation (the old firmware allegedly broke my right FM receiver). I believe that the FM receivers shut down in 40?? seconds by default if there is no sound available to save on battery power. Someone said the Smartlink+ fixed this problem, but I do not have the new transmitter to figure this out. I thought you were planning to get it? If so, how much different is it compared to the old model?

I don't know if this will help the situation or not, as I know it's supposed to fix the SoundFlow situation (the old firmware allegedly broke my right FM receiver). I believe that the FM receivers shut down in 40?? seconds by default if there is no sound available to save on battery power. Someone said the Smartlink+ fixed this problem, but I do not have the new transmitter to figure this out. I thought you were planning to get it? If so, how much different is it compared to the old model?

Yeah, I have the SmartLink+. It is the integrated receivers I think because it doesn't cut out when I use the neckloop.The FM can be on and someone can be takling away but it still cuts in and out. It's a pain in the ass.

I notice a difference in clarity and cutting out the noise with the new FM.

Yeah, I have the SmartLink+. It is the integrated receivers I think because it doesn't cut out when I use the neckloop.The FM can be on and someone can be takling away but it still cuts in and out. It's a pain in the ass.

I notice a difference in clarity and cutting out the noise with the new FM.

It should not cut in and out while voices and noise is still active.....not sure why that is happening. Maybe an email to Phonak HQ is in order, or another visit to your audi?

I have a Smartlink SX which cuts out after 40 seconds, but only if there is no sound input, which can be an absolute pain sometimes. If yours cuts out whilst someone is talking, or there is noise, there is probably a fault with your fm system or receivers.

The new Smartlink+ claims not to cut off audio input even when it is silent, I was looking at it on the Phonak website. Unfortunately I can't afford an upgrade.

So the audie's office called for me to pick up my Naida, it's back from Phonak. When I arrived, my audie didn't know it had been returned. She asked me to wait while she checked it out. 10 mins later she came out and told me it's dead. She said she shocked her students because she started swearing out of frustration. While I was there they gave me a loaner, and when I put it in, it shut off. I handed that one to the audie too, but it was better with a new ear hook. Still don't know why it randomly shuts off. Maybe I'm a carrier of Naida death...

Anyway, my clear one is back in it's overnight box back to Phonak yet again. I wish I could get frequent flier points for as much as that thing has flown! :lol:

So the audie's office called for me to pick up my Naida, it's back from Phonak. When I arrived, my audie didn't know it had been returned. She asked me to wait while she checked it out. 10 mins later she came out and told me it's dead. She said she shocked her students because she started swearing out of frustration. While I was there they gave me a loaner, and when I put it in, it shut off. I handed that one to the audie too, but it was better with a new ear hook. Still don't know why it randomly shuts off. Maybe I'm a carrier of Naida death...

Anyway, my clear one is back in it's overnight box back to Phonak yet again. I wish I could get frequent flier points for as much as that thing has flown! :lol:

There was Typhoid Mary.

But what would be the appropriate name for one who kills hearing aids just by touch?

I've heard that you can't use just any battery with the naida. That the hearing aid is weird and that certain batteries can cause it to randomly turn off.

Just a thought.

I've heard that you can't use just any battery with the naida. That the hearing aid is weird and that certain batteries can cause it to randomly turn off.

Just a thought.

I do....I use Walgreens and Rayovac with mine.....

If they can't fix the aid properly soon, they should be replacing it with a new one....that's what happened with my Phonak receiver. Three times the charm (replacement)

Just a thought.

If yours is the UP model, which require the 675 battery, it may cut out when the battery gets low. Mine do. I have started using the 675 for the CI and get about 7-8 days before my HA's start to cut out or do other wierd things. Have never heard the low battery alarm.

If yours is the UP model, which require the 675 battery, it may cut out when the battery gets low. Mine do. I have started using the 675 for the CI and get about 7-8 days before my HA's start to cut out or do other wierd things. Have never heard the low battery alarm.

well, it depends on how much I use the FM receivers. I normally get 13 days out of the 675 batteries, but if I use the FM extensively, it may drop a couple of days.....

well, it depends on how much I use the FM receivers. I normally get 13 days out of the 675 batteries, but if I use the FM extensively, it may drop a couple of days.....

I had 2 Phonak FM rec. on my sonics (using an adap kit :roll:) and they really took the batteries down. Now using 1 FM rec. in my iCom and it takes the iCom down in about 10 hrs.

Back