The most depressing movie....ever...

green427

Reaction score
The Road:

the_road_poster02%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Saw it almost two years ago. The most heart-wrenching, brutal, and thought-provoking movie I have ever seen. Even today, this movie still bothers me. I've seen many horror & sad movies all my life, but this movie stands out above all. Being a parent makes it all the more horrifying.

I think everyone should watch it. Not because I want everyone to feel the pain, but to make everyone realize that you should appreciate what you have in front of you. Whenever I feel depressed, I remind myself of that movie, and things don't seem so bad.

The directors & producers did an excellent job with the picture & details.

Haven't seen it...but gives me to motivation to....thks for the heads-up...just made a notation of it.

yep..... great movie... but book is better.

never see it movies! I will buy :P I love enjoy wish go there ^-^

You should also watch Threads, a BBC made for TV movie set during World War 3 in Sheffield. It's famous for being relentlessly unpleasant and depressing.

I was thinking of that very movie even before I opened this thread. It is very depressing.

its deliberately distasteful, thats exactly what they want to achieve theres nothing rosy about te post-nuke or post-oil ruined society and how people would actually cope with it, i think tis well made, and id rather have it like this than a more 'hopeful' BS like "the postman' with kevin costner which had 'hope' i mean i DONT want hope to be part of it, because that's a cop-out to the would-be-reality of such a bleak society wiht humanity on brink of varnishing...indeed it would be very very sad.
The Road, is PERFECT...

to me, glossy films can actually be more depressing because of its powers to persuade poeple to forget respobsibility , forget everything and live to thrash oursevles, never mater how pretty the houses, and 'good life' are made out to be on screen....
its sad we manaufacture false dreams....

its deliberately distasteful, thats exactly what they want to achieve theres nothing rosy about te post-nuke or post-oil ruined society and how people would actually cope with it, i think tis well made, and id rather have it like this than a more 'hopeful' BS like "the postman' with kevin costner which had 'hope' i mean i DONT want hope to be part of it, because that's a cop-out to the would-be-reality of such a bleak society wiht humanity on brink of varnishing...indeed it would be very very sad.
The Road, is PERFECT...

FWIW, the disaster that causes The Road isn't specificed but Cormac McCarthy did say in an interview it's "probably" an asteroid impact.

The Postman is meant to be after a limited biological/nuclear war, but the theme is that survivalists were the reason the US didn't recover as when aid workers and construction crews to repair infrastructure arrived, survivalists killed them.

I really like these sort of stories but didn't like The Road, too much of it just didn't add up.

Never seen it and not sure I will. Glad it made you realized how things are not so bad :)

FWIW, the disaster that causes The Road isn't specificed but Cormac McCarthy did say in an interview it's "probably" an asteroid impact.

The Postman is meant to be after a limited biological/nuclear war, but the theme is that survivalists were the reason the US didn't recover as when aid workers and construction crews to repair infrastructure arrived, survivalists killed them.

I really like these sort of stories but didn't like The Road, too much of it just didn't add up.

arghhh, ahhh but then again in the post-fuck-up world, long distance communications would probably be at best zliched...so 'the adding up' comments you say is kind of an overshot...you missed the point, its murkiness of the unknown on the every day's collectiveness held as means of making the world more predictable, more 'freindly' to the human society, indeed this would also mean to be to have capacity to hold 'hope' , - by contrast "The Road", didnt sport any of this, or if any then very little barely noticable, which is probably a closest depiction of the outlook and reaction peope would have in the post-destruction world. so...i disagree, but feel free to agree to disagee, well at least i do.
despair is portrayed at its best. clinging on to hope in this film The Road, is seen no longer worthwhile, the world is seen beyond repair. so the films attempt to bring this out to the audience is successful.

Wirelessly posted

Where will I rent that movie?

I tried Hulu, Hulu Plus on PS3, in Wal Mart, .99c rent movies at local stores, movies on TV, and Fred Meyer stores. No luck that i can't find it somewhere...

I really want to watch that movie! :(

arghhh, ahhh but then again in the post-fuck-up world, long distance communications would probably be at best zliched...so 'the adding up' comments you say is kind of an overshot...you missed the point, its murkiness of the unknown on the every day's collectiveness held as means of making the world more predictable, more 'freindly' to the human society, indeed this would also mean to be to have capacity to hold 'hope' , - by contrast "The Road", didnt sport any of this, or if any then very little barely noticable, which is probably a closest depiction of the outlook and reaction peope would have in the post-destruction world. so...i disagree, but feel free to agree to disagee, well at least i do.
despair is portrayed at its best. clinging on to hope in this film The Road, is seen no longer worthwhile, the world is seen beyond repair. so the films attempt to bring this out to the audience is successful.

I see the point he's trying to make, that everything is completely broken... but what I meant was that it's a thought provoking book that unfortunately doesn't really seem capable of providing answers to the questions you will ask.

You see what I mean? There doesn't seem to be enough context, the characters know more than we do about the world (the Man especially will) but we don't get that insight? That's not mysterious, it's annoying.

Also, you're in a world full of savage cannibals, you're going to build a big obvious campfire every night? How about using a tent? The first time you read the book or see the movie you go wow but it's later when it's sunk in that you start to question and little things like that start to nag you.

Wirelessly posted

Where will I rent that movie?

I tried Hulu, Hulu Plus on PS3, in Wal Mart, .99c rent movies at local stores, movies on TV, and Fred Meyer stores. No luck that i can't find it somewhere...

I really want to watch that movie! :(

Redbox no longer has it on their list, but Blockbuster Express does.

Back