The monkeys "signing" in the movie "Madagascar"

flutable

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone seen the movie "Madagascar", specifically when everyone is on the ship, and one of the chimps asks his friend to read the ship's destination.

The other chimp appears to sign something in reply, but if it's ASL it's a bit fast for me.

Could someone who has seen the movie or who has it on DVD look at this scene and tell me if it's *real* ASL, or if I'm just hallucinating!

cheers

Yes they were signing in ASL!

The monkey who was interpreting for the Deaf monkey wasn't a VERY good interpreter but nonetheless the Deaf monkey was signing ALL in ASL with fingerspelling "KENYA" correctly. IS THAT GREAT?! I cannot remember exactly what he signs but he was signing accurately to what he was reading off the sign of the carter that the other characters were in: "SHIP to WILDLIFE PRESERVE in K-E-N-Y-A AFRICA". The hearing monkey just say: "Ship to wildlife perserve in (yelling: "AFRICA!")" and then the penguins freaked out.

There is another clip of them at the end of movie with the rolling credits where both monkeys slide into the screen from left. They both just stand while the Deaf monkey signs: "Will Dance... NOW", as he said "NOW", they both start to boogie down and whatnot. It was cute!

I am PROUD of the people who made this movie for doing ASL to the truest form~ but I found an irony: at the scene that you inquired about, when the hearing monkey said: " I can't read but Paul *i think that was the Deaf monkey's given name* can." And then he yelled out "PAUL!" for the deaf monkey to pop out but ... DEAF CANNOT HEAR??????

;-) A blooper!

I haven't seen that movie yet, but you know what I really like about that scene? The fact that while Paul's got an interpreter, he's BEING one too. ;)

gnarlydorkette said:
Yes they were signing in ASL!

The monkey who was interpreting for the Deaf monkey wasn't a VERY good interpreter but nonetheless the Deaf monkey was signing ALL in ASL with fingerspelling "KENYA" correctly. IS THAT GREAT?! I cannot remember exactly what he signs but he was signing accurately to what he was reading off the sign of the carter that the other characters were in: "SHIP to WILDLIFE PRESERVE in K-E-N-Y-A AFRICA". The hearing monkey just say: "Ship to wildlife perserve in (yelling: "AFRICA!")" and then the penguins freaked out.

There is another clip of them at the end of movie with the rolling credits where both monkeys slide into the screen from left. They both just stand while the Deaf monkey signs: "Will Dance... NOW", as he said "NOW", they both start to boogie down and whatnot. It was cute!

I am PROUD of the people who made this movie for doing ASL to the truest form~ but I found an irony: at the scene that you inquired about, when the hearing monkey said: " I can't read but Paul *i think that was the Deaf monkey's given name* can." And then he yelled out "PAUL!" for the deaf monkey to pop out but ... DEAF CANNOT HEAR??????

;-) A blooper!

Have you seen the true blooper in this movie? Watch the ASL scene again closely...

The terping monkey says "Kenya" before the deaf monkey even fingerspells it!!! :rofl:

tegumi said:
Have you seen the true blooper in this movie? Watch the ASL scene again closely...

The terping monkey says "Kenya" before the deaf monkey even fingerspells it!!! :rofl:

dang! I was gunna say that one!

I don't think the signing monkey is deaf, it's more a play on Koko, the gorilla that supposedly knows ASL signs

Kiitos gnarlydorkette :)

I'll have to get the movie out on DVD and watch that scene again.

:)

Back