The hearing and cochlear implant debate! Share your opinion!

Any regrets?

Nope. The only problem I have with it is that I live alone. It would really help me out if I lived with someone to practice listening everyday. It would definitely speed up the progress.

I used to be very against CIs but I realized it was the audist views that I am against not the CIs themselves. If my HAs no longer work for me where I cant hear nothing, then I would consider to get one for environmental sounds.

My CIs changed who I am -- or more accurately -- they changed my personality. I'm outgoing (whereas when I could not hear I was reserved), happier and feel more comfortable in my environment as a whole. I'm no longer isolated due to my deafblindness. If that offends anyone, I'm sorry, but it's the way I feel.
If anyone is offended by that then they should be sorry. Not you!

I used to be very against CIs but I realized it was the audist views that I am against not the CIs themselves.

That's exactly how I feel. I wouldn't mind getting some form of aid to alert me to environmental noise which is why I want a tactile aid but I'd never get a CI for myself. That's my personal choice. I've nothing against other people who choose the CI for themselves though. I just hope they know it won't work miricles on them.

I hate the woman with a passion. She told me at our first visit, when Miss Kat was 18 months old, that if she didn't learn to talk it was because I was a lazy mother. She hates that we use ASL and judges us for her school placement. She said that since Miss Kat is in a bi-bi school and uses ASL she couldn't get a CI. That she "only implants kids who will become 100% oral, and (we) have shown that she won't".

That is WAY worse! We walked out and never went back. We have also had several families complain as well and move to other audiologists. Hopefully she will at least stop seeing kids.

I'd hate her too if I were you.

Nope. The only problem I have with it is that I live alone. It would really help me out if I lived with someone to practice listening everyday. It would definitely speed up the progress.

talk to people at work or lunch break. talking with my boss is kinda challenging because of his deep accent.

talk to people at work or lunch break. talking with my boss is kinda challenging because of his deep accent.

I talk to people often but I lipread them. It doesn't really help me listen. And I am definitely not at that point where I can just look away and "try". I know I won't get it, no matter how many repeats. I make progress with AVT, but it's hard to make progress in real life since you have to have a high speech discrimination already to even start "listening" to everyday speech.

Lipreading doesn't really help me listen, but listening helps me to lipread, if that makes sense?

I talk to people often but I lipread them. It doesn't really help me listen. And I am definitely not at that point where I can just look away and "try". I know I won't get it, no matter how many repeats. I make progress with AVT, but it's hard to make progress in real life since you have to have a high speech discrimination already to even start "listening" to everyday speech.

Lipreading doesn't really help me listen, but listening helps me to lipread, if that makes sense?

ooooo THAT. I see. try radio? :dunno:

Going blind sounds scary, especially when you can't hear anything already. I hope I never lose my sight. I'm an artist and if I lost my sight I don't know what I would do.

Yeah, Dreama is right. It's scare. I felt the same way. The blind people do pottery, clay build, artist paint with braille for color texture. I am artist too. I don't want to lose my sight either. Because I'm jewelry making and color beads and polymer clay pendant.

I used to be very against CI when I was teen. I didn't want to have CI until 2003. I saw my third cousin got ci. I supposed not attack on his mom about CI is bad. I made mistake. I felt guilty what I did wrong in past. I asked her to forgive me. I had regret what I did wrong. I learned from deaf school and deaf education teacher against CIs. I felt like their brainwashed my mind to against CIs. I felt like a soundless sad life! I changed my mind and want to get CI right away due to my vision and balance problem.

If your ha are not working for you. You have to check your candidate. Did you take a hearing test and evaluation? I remember you said you have 140db hearing loss. Is that right?

I used to be very against CIs but I realized it was the audist views that I am against not the CIs themselves. If my HAs no longer work for me where I cant hear nothing, then I would consider to get one for environmental sounds.

That's good question. Ummm It's hard!
The point is that audiologists shouldnt push CIs on their clients. I am not interested in it and I dont want to have to deal with justifying why I dont want one everytime I visit an audie.

I used to be very against CI when I was teen. I didn't want to have CI until 2003. I saw my third cousin got ci. I supposed not attack on his mom about CI is bad. I made mistake. I felt guilty what I did wrong in past. I asked her to forgive me. I had regret what I did wrong. I learned from deaf school and deaf education teacher against CIs. I felt like their brainwashed my mind to against CIs. I felt like a soundless sad life! I changed my mind and want to get CI right away due to my vision and balance problem.

If your ha are not working for you. You have to check your candidate. Did you take a hearing test and evaluation? I remember you said you have 140db hearing loss. Is that right?

That's good question. Ummm It's hard!

Pinky, I know how the process works and etc. I dont want a CI but if my HAs dont work for me later on, maybe I will.

Back