The gift of hearing....do you cherish it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 99.9% certain that Bott knows what the meaning "of sound body" means. You, on the other hand, might want to look up the meaning of wit and sarcasm.:lol: Looks like you completely missed hers.

Others might misconstrue the meaning "of sound body".....

Yes I am late deaf, but deaf. Ya know - I used to wish for peace, peace and quiet. I even prayed for it. Now, I have it.

Do I miss or cherish remaining hearing? Overall, not really. The reason I joined the alldeaf forum is because it was aptly named. It is comforting to find others who are at peace with deafness. I am.

Dont like to made to wear my aids or ald. If I was retired, I would retire the aids and ald as well. As it is, I walk into my home and remove any and all devices and chunk them into the dessicant jar. (saving my money for a dry n store)

Bebonang, I was not born deaf, but I really admire your post.:ty:

I am who (or what) I am. I accept and often enjoy my deafness. A few years ago I was offered a surgery that would restore some of the hearing in my worst ear. It is a type of prothesis that would replace the small bones that the cholesteatoma destroyed. It was at that time new to my ENT physician and she wanted me to be her first. She seemed mad when I said no. :roll: I was just so glad to be alive, it took 2 years for me to fully heal after a necessary surgery, who wanted to risk such pain for an elective surgery? That cholesteatoma was into the brain pan. It was the size of a half dollar. What should have been no more than a 2 hr surgery became a 7 hour ordeal.

I accept and embrace my deafness. Happy to be me, happy to be alive, happy to be in alldeaf. Thanks guys.

Oh, and lighten up, yall -as Jillio said - Botts is a hoot. I love her humor and sharp, insightful wit. It reflects her intelligence. (As well as those of us who understand it) :laugh2:

That's good, Nan. You do what makes you happy, and that's the important thing.

I hope you enjoy too, Kokonut. I looked at some of your pics. It looks like you do enjoy yourself. Looked FUN. Were those big tires?? Was that you? Since you cherish your hearing, I will bet that is was nice for you to hear the cheers for you? :lol:

Nan, indeed. That's me flipping those tires. Loads of fun. Yes, everybody was rooting for everybody else in the competition. My family and daughters and friends and bunch of supporters were screaming for me. My first ever, placed third. At least I have something to tell to my grandkids someday. Never thought I'd flip an 800lb tire. But it was the best fun I had in years.

Yes I am late deaf, but deaf. Ya know - I used to wish for peace, peace and quiet. I even prayed for it. Now, I have it.

Do I miss or cherish remaining hearing? Overall, not really. The reason I joined the alldeaf forum is because it was aptly named. It is comforting to find others who are at peace with deafness. I am.

Dont like to made to wear my aids or ald. If I was retired, I would retire the aids and ald as well. As it is, I walk into my home and remove any and all devices and chunk them into the dessicant jar. (saving my money for a dry n store)

Bebonang, I was not born deaf, but I really admire your post.:ty:

I am who (or what) I am. I accept and often enjoy my deafness. A few years ago I was offered a surgery that would restore some of the hearing in my worst ear. It is a type of prothesis that would replace the small bones that the cholesteatoma destroyed. It was at that time new to my ENT physician and she wanted me to be her first. She seemed mad when I said no. :roll: I was just so glad to be alive, it took 2 years for me to fully heal after a necessary surgery, who wanted to risk such pain for an elective surgery? That cholesteatoma was into the brain pan. It was the size of a half dollar. What should have been no more than a 2 hr surgery became a 7 hour ordeal.

I accept and embrace my deafness. Happy to be me, happy to be alive, happy to be in alldeaf. Thanks guys.

Oh, and lighten up, yall -as Jillio said - Botts is a hoot. I love her humor and sharp, insightful wit. It reflects her intelligence. (As well as those of us who understand it) :laugh2:

You have managed a successful and healthy transition to your deafness, Nan. You are to be admired. There are so many you could mentor and provide a great example to.

There is this little boy I know who is undergoing aggressive chemo for bone cancer. It has gone into his lungs so his chance of survival are very slim. That's why I cherish my health over my hearing because being deaf is not the end of the world, IMO.

There is this little boy I know who is undergoing aggressive chemo for bone cancer. It has gone into his lungs so his chance of survival are very slim. That's why I cherish my health over my hearing because being deaf is not the end of the world, IMO.

How sad, Shel. And I agree with you completely. I have told many a hearing parent that thought the world had come to an end when they were told their kid was deaf..."Your child is only deaf, not dying. The news you got could have been much, much worse." I have even suggested to a few that they pay a visit to the pediatric cancer wing of the hospital, and then they will walk away very grateful to know that their child is just deaf.

I'm happy being totally deaf without my CI and HA, Althought ATM my CI isnt on very much these days. But my HA is always on. Most nights I remove it mabe 1-2 hours before I go to bed, I like the quiet time.

I dont care being deaf or hearing with CI, I am just happy im completely healthy. That's the most important thing to me not my ears

I am lucky I still have some residual hearing so yes I cherish the fact HAs are able to give me access to 50% of sounds and with lipreading, 80% of speech. I still am getting stem cells for similar reasons you get CI or better HAs.

I am lucky I still have some residual hearing so yes I cherish the fact HAs are able to give me access to 50% of sounds and with lipreading, 80% of speech. I still am getting stem cells for similar reasons you get CI or better HAs.

when are you getting a stem cells? :aw:

You raise an excellent point there though your example is a sad one. If I had to choose between health and deafness, health would win hands down.

Yep, health is very, very important. Yet, I am still thankful for what I have and cherish them each and every day.

I cherish my family, my husband, my children, our health, all we have acomplished together, and yes I cherish what hearing I have. It allowed me to be able to hear my girl's talk, hear music, hear my family. But I know that I am lucky because the people that surround me don't care if I can hear or not...they care about me! and that's how it should be. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back