The gift of hearing....do you cherish it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokonut

Reaction score
The gift of hearing, do you cherish what hearing you have? Or do not? If you do cherish your hearing explain why.

As for me, the answer is obvious, yes, I do cherish my hearing! It has given me so much and I'm thankful for my hearing aid. My hearing has allowed me to enjoy a wide ranging sound to enjoy, and has also allowed me to communicate and listen, too. I don't take my hearing for granted but I certainly do thank God for the gift of hearing I was given, even though not complete. I am proud to be hard of hearing. It makes one realizes just how precious and fragile the gift of hearing is.

Do I cherish my hearing aids?

Not really. More frustration than what it is worth. I means sure, there is music, but then there is fact that neighbours are noisy, construction noises, living beside a major route, difficulty trying to understand people and being accused of selective hearing.

If I don't wear my hearing aids, I am not stressed out trying to cope with all the noises.

Only time I liked my hearing aids were when I had my SmartLink and hooked it up to my iPod to drown out the ambient noises in class and everything... at least before some jerkwad thought it was an MP3 player and stole it.

I accentuate the positive. Love my hearing aid. Love listening to talk radio with my headphones. Love listening to music. Play music. Talk. Discuss. Etc. I know each person's experience is different.

I cherish my hearing and take offense if I have to be in a noisy place (including church) where the music is so loud that my arteries are thumping to the beat of the music. Granted, I could turn them off or take them out, but the music is still too loud.

I cherish my sight more than I cherish my hearing. That said, I am very happy that I can listen to music again after not being able to do so for 20 years before I got my CI.

I cherish the hearing I have left because all of the people in my life are hearing and it helps me communicate with them. Nobody seems to want to learn ASL with me, so I don't know what will happen when I loose the rest.

I can able to hear some. I do enjoy listening all kinds of music with my headphone, like, Rock'n'Roll, Country, and Jazz, for instance. It helps me to relax...

Absolutely. I don't know any deaf or hoh people. I am supposed to say that I am living between worlds. But, due to my circumstances, I feel that I am accepted in a hearing world, even though it can be a difficult world. Being hoh has made me realise how important communication is. We don't realise how many things we take for granted until it is taken away from us.

I used to dwell regarding my future, such as what would happen if I lost all my hearing? But there is no point dwelling anymore, because who knows the future? :)

Absolutely. I don't know any deaf or hoh people. I am supposed to say that I am living between worlds. But, due to my circumstances, I feel that I am accepted in a hearing world, even though it can be a difficult world. Being hoh has made me realise how important communication is. We don't realise how many things we take for granted until it is taken away from us.

I used to dwell regarding my future, such as what would happen if I lost all my hearing? But there is no point dwelling anymore, because who knows the future? :)

Exactly, no point in dwelling. Just take things at one day at a time and be thankful for what you have. All that could change for the worse or better at anytime.

No, not really. But I'm more relax that I could hear a music on DVD player with my HA on my left ear. It's enjoyable to listen it. It actually does help me to focus on my work while I listen something about music or songs. ;)

I cherish being alive and healthy more than anything.

I cherish being alive and healthy more than anything.

I am doing good with the alive part of it, and still having fun. :wave:

I can find different ways to enjoy my life no matter what happens to me.

That's important, too.

A healthy body of sound mind, vision, and hearing.

That's important, too.

A healthy body of sound mind, vision, and hearing.

You are just too silly for words.

WHy don't you go taunt paraplegics on some other websites?:wave:

You are just too silly for words.

WHy don't you go taunt paraplegics on some other websites?:wave:

:Owned:

As for me, I do cherish the music that my hearing still allows me to hear, the people my hearing allows me to still communicate with, etc. But if I didn't have hearing (and I won't soon enough), I would just find new things to cherish and enjoy, and new ways to cherish and enjoy the old things.

Hearing is just a means to ends. In and of itself, there's nothing special about it.

I cherish life. I appreciate the fact of what hearing I have. As well as what vision I have. I appreciate what is given to me in the life I cherish.

I cherish the hearing I have left. I miss the hearing I lost. I am still adjusting to the new me, even though it has been nearly 20 years. Been fortunate to meet some great people that I might have never known without becoming HOH. The bitterness has faded, thanks to them.

I am so sick of tire of hearing, hearing, and hearing all the time on this forum. I am just glad that I am part of the Deaf Culture with plenty of ASL. Is this what ALLDEAF about when we are discussing about our deafness, not hearing? Kokonut, you can enjoy your hearing as long you don't ask us about hearing all the time. Anyway, I just enjoy life as natural as it is, not trying to get fixed. :roll:

As for me, I do cherish the music that my hearing still allows me to hear, the people my hearing allows me to still communicate with, etc. But if I didn't have hearing (and I won't soon enough), I would just find new things to cherish and enjoy, and new ways to cherish and enjoy the old things.

Hearing is just a means to ends. In and of itself, there's nothing special about it.

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back